GS Newbie Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS Newbie Here

Hi all, new GS owner here. A good friend of mine gave me his father's(passed away a few years ago sadly) bike as he's career military and moves around a lot. Told me he wanted to see it go to somebody who would appreciate it and ride it. Not currently running, but it seems to be all together for the most part. Joined to get into the info on these things and get started on getting this thing back on the road, amongst several others that I have in the stable. I'm pretty sure I narrowed this one down to a '79 GS1000L, but I wanted to get some input. I found several sheets with serial numbers on them, but wanted to consult the experts here for some feedback as well.

E2bK9lNb.jpg
    Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like MaxFubar.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like MaxFubar.

I'm also running around on a Suzuki Savage bobber these days and my love of old Japanese bikes goes back to my dad's '71 Honda CL350 and my first bike I bought, a '72 Honda CB450(still have it, rebuild in progress on the motor). Looking forward to getting to know y'all and learn about these bikes. From what I can tell these are some hellacious machines when they're tuned up and running, definitely looking forward to getting this 'ol gal back up on her feet and motoring around.

650 Savage - https://imgur.com/RqU0lYl
    CB450 - https://imgur.com/iT7canY
    Last edited by MaxFubar; 08-03-2020, 03:10 PM.
    1979 Suzuki GS1000L
    1972 Honda CB450
    2005 Suzuki Savage 650

Welcome aboard. My first bike was a '71 CB350. Two friends had the 450. Pic looks like a '79 1000L to me.

Welcome aboard.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Yep, 79 L model
      The carbs tell the story
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks for the input. Now on to three articles and stickies to figure out what to do first to get her back in fighting shape.
        1979 Suzuki GS1000L
        1972 Honda CB450
        2005 Suzuki Savage 650

Comment

Oh, look at the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hi, Maxfubar! Looks like a nice example...Apart from the seat cover cosmetic bits look hopeful, and they are the hardest to replace. be sure to have a look in the airbox- the mice might have built a nest from parts of the seat!

Overall, carbs and gas tank and petcock and valve-check are good places to start but you've got bikes so you know...

Source of manuals and tips here BikeCliff's Website

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
              Hi, Maxfubar! Looks like a nice example...Apart from the seat cover cosmetic bits look hopeful, and they are the hardest to replace. be sure to have a look in the airbox- the mice might have built a nest from parts of the seat!

Overall, carbs and gas tank and petcock and valve-check are good places to start but you've got bikes so you know...

Source of manuals and tips here BikeCliff's Website
              I got the airbox off last night and other than the filter turning to dust upon removal, it's all pretty clean. I was going to remove the rest of the air box and take a look at the carbs, do some minor cleanup and see if I can't get it to fire. Will need a battery and unfortunately I've got my buddy looking for a set of keys. So I may have to remove the ignition switch and bypass for testing until I can either get a set of keys or replace the switch, gas cap, and seat lock with new pieces.
              1979 Suzuki GS1000L
              1972 Honda CB450
              2005 Suzuki Savage 650

Comment

Seems maybe I remember you can order a key if you have the numerical key code which might be printed somewhere. I think there may be a guy on Ebay.
                1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                1983 GS 1100 G
                2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

There's a guy here

Kiwi Canuck aka Dave
                  Last edited by Big T; 08-04-2020, 08:05 PM.
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

You shouldn't need to futz around up at the key switch while you look for a key.... you should be able to take from a red wire or battery + to the fusebox bus that feeds the circuits. On these suzukis the keyswitch mostly justs connects red to an orange that feeds the bus..and, on yours. I think, grey to brown to power some dash lights etc

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                      There's a guy here

Kiwi Canuck aka Dave
                      Sent him a PM, thanks.

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                      You shouldn't need to futz around up at the key switch while you look for a key.... you should be able to take from a red wire or battery + to the fusebox bus that feeds the circuits. On these suzukis the keyswitch mostly justs connects red to an orange that feeds the bus..and, on yours. I think, grey to brown to power some dash lights etc
                      I get it, would still like to have a long term solution if I'm able to make this thing run and ride. But yeah, initial testing is going to involve bypassing the ignition switch in some way/shape/form.
                      1979 Suzuki GS1000L
                      1972 Honda CB450
                      2005 Suzuki Savage 650

Comment

Yes should be pretty easy to bypass the ignition for testing but Kiwi was fast when he did my keys!
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                        X