1996 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
    1983 Honda CX500 Custom
    1980 Honda CX500 Custom
    1983 Suzuki GS650 GL
    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL
    2002 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
    2003 Honda GL1800 Goldwing

That is a list of the motorcycles I have owned -

Notice anything they all have in common ???

All SHAFT Drives -

I have never OWNED a Chain driven bike -- I do not know how to maintain nor adjust a chain on a motorcycle.

I don't think I am missing anything - but isn't shaft driven easier ...?

Currently in the Stable :
    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post

So you ride motorcycles because it's easier than driving a car? Hmm...shaft drive bicycles!
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      So you ride motorcycles because it's easier than driving a car? Hmm...shaft drive bicycles!
      Are you saying “shaft drive” is the same as “axle drive”?

There’s preferences in maintenance...that may be the point here.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I think you need to see a cycle therapist.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Lol!

i know you’re kidding and making jokes, Mr Rob.

I am reading a book by a famous psychiatrist who has a peculiar uncle...Big time LOL!!!

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

My shaft drive is my only choice is case of rain. Chain has to be dried out immediately after riding in the rain, or it starts to rust.
            Shaft drive final drive ratios are final from the factory, no flexibility for performance tuning.
            Shaft drive rear ends have a much higher unsprung weight that chain and sprocket.
            Just some of the facts, man…
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

1978 Honda CX500 Standard
              1985 Honda GL1200 Aspencade
              1980 Honda GL1100 Interstate
              1992 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
              1983 Honda CX500 Custom
              1980 Honda CX500 Custom
              1983 Suzuki GS650 GL
              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL

All SHAFT Drives -

I have never OWNED a Chain driven bike -- I do not know how to maintain nor adjust a chain on a motorcycle.

As someone who has owned far more chain driven bikes than otherwise, I can definitely say that shaft and belt are easier.
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Easier? It depends. If you want to change your gearing, it's a heck of a lot harder.
                '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Shaft drives are great until something goes wrong, then you will wish it were a chain. Actually with today's O-ring chains it is not much work to keep them going.
                  For me, there was a 15 year period where I only had bikes with shaft drives, and when I bought a motorcycle with a chain, I found myself overly occupied thinking about cleaning, oiling, adjusting etc. Now it is something I just mess with every other week or so.

But as Bill stated, when it rains, only my shaft bike hits the road.
                  1981 Suzuki GS250T
                  1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                  1985 Suzuki GS550E
                  2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

They both have their purpose. It's not worth arguing about which is best. Both and neither.

An enclosed chain would be most of the best of both worlds, but it hasn't been done sine the early 20th century with a heavy casting. As far as know.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Enclosed chain?

1967 Honda CA-100 by R John Thieda, on Flickr
                      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Cycle therapy? Nothing?

How about Shaft Bikes Matter? Shaft Drives Matter? You guys are no fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                          They both have their purpose. It's not worth arguing about which is best. Both and neither.

An enclosed chain would be most of the best of both worlds, but it hasn't been done sine the early 20th century with a heavy casting. As far as know.
                          Yamaha XV920R

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_XV920R
                          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post

MZ250 had one, which I used to commute for about 4 years in the early 80s. I think I had to adjust the chain once.
                            After that, I discovered Scott Oilers when one came fitted by the PO of a CBX550 I bought. The chain already on it lasted me about 30K and I adjusted it once in all that time. There was still plenty life left in the chain when I sold the bike.
                            The Stinking Old XS has a Scott (again, fitted by the one PO who wasn't a dirtbag) and I've barely had to look at the chain in the past several years.
                            I rapidly discovered during my CBX ownership that chainsaw bar oil is a more than adequate substitute for expensive Scott Oil - I'm fairly sure that's all S.Oil is, just dyed a pretty colour and ramped up in price by a factor of 5.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

1978 Honda CX500 Standard
                              1985 Honda GL1200 Aspencade
                              1980 Honda GL1100 Interstate
                              1992 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
                              1983 Honda CX500 Custom
                              1980 Honda CX500 Custom
                              1983 Suzuki GS650 GL
                              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL

What strikes me is that they are almost all HONDA's! My condolences!
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X