Confessions of a troubled history in motorcycling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    My shaft drive is my only choice is case of rain. Chain has to be dried out immediately after riding in the rain, or it starts to rust.
    Shaft drive final drive ratios are final from the factory, no flexibility for performance tuning.
    Shaft drive rear ends have a much higher unsprung weight that chain and sprocket.
    Just some of the facts, man…
    Meh, yeah... you have a point about the rain. But who wants to ride in potential wet weather...if you can help it?

How do dirt bikes with chains do well in the wet mud?

Like was said, no need to argue which is better...depends on the Rider.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Two nice motorcycles, the rest... 🤐
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
        ...who wants to ride in potential wet weather...if you can help it?
        Got caught in drizzle on the way home from the showroom on my brand new Sporty (just give me the keys and the owner's manual - I've been riding since before you were born).

And in the seven years that I've owned it, my 11E saw a mist maybe once. Haven't commuted in decades.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          What strikes me is that they are almost all HONDA's! My condolences!
          Even better than that, they're all water-cooled (except for the GSes).

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            Got caught in drizzle on the way home from the showroom on my brand new Sporty (just give me the keys and the owner's manual - I've been riding since before you were born).

And in the seven years that I've owned it, my 11E saw a mist maybe once. Haven't commuted in decades.
            One thing I’ve learned (being in my mid 50s), throwing my weight around at work about my level of experience stirs up animosity in some/not all. Luckily, I’ve gotten past that.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              What strikes me is that they are almost all HONDA's! My condolences!
              Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
              Two nice motorcycles, the rest... 蘿

Ouch -- No haters please --- Honda been good to me -- Look at that list of Goldwing's

I also drive a 2020 Honda Passport now ---

But I have love for the Suzuki GS as well -- I have never known the joy of NOT having a coolant system to worry about until I found the GS
              Currently in the Stable :
              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

That’s ok, Carl. My list of bikes includes just one Honda, but a BUNCH of shafties.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                  One thing I’ve learned (being in my mid 50s), throwing my weight around at work about my level of experience stirs up animosity in some/not all. Luckily, I’ve gotten past that.
                  It was looking like rain and some twenty-something was telling me how to clutch and shift.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                    It was looking like rain and some twenty-something was telling me how to clutch and shift.
                    Heh. It would have been a pysser if you'd dropped it on the forecourt.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                      Enclosed chain?

1967 Honda CA-100 by R John Thieda, on Flickr
                      Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                      Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                      MZ250 had one, which I used to commute for about 4 years in the early 80s. I think I had to adjust the chain once.
                      After that, I discovered Scott Oilers when one came fitted by the PO of a CBX550 I bought. The chain already on it lasted me about 30K and I adjusted it once in all that time. There was still plenty life left in the chain when I sold the bike.
                      The Stinking Old XS has a Scott (again, fitted by the one PO who wasn't a dirtbag) and I've barely had to look at the chain in the past several years.
                      I rapidly discovered during my CBX ownership that chainsaw bar oil is a more than adequate substitute for expensive Scott Oil - I'm fairly sure that's all S.Oil is, just dyed a pretty colour and ramped up in price by a factor of 5.
                      I forgot about the Cub. The others I'd never heard of. It sounds like the Yammie had other issues that might have kept the bike from being a success. I did some Gargling and found somebody fabricated a cover for a V-Strom, but they're not something yo can generally buy aftermarket. It seems like it would be a no-brainier for a sport-touring bike. I wonder what I'm missing, other than the fact that it might look a little goofy.
                      Dogma
                      --
                      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                        I forgot about the Cub. The others I'd never heard of. It sounds like the Yammie had other issues that might have kept the bike from being a success. I did some Gargling and found somebody fabricated a cover for a V-Strom, but they're not something yo can generally buy aftermarket. It seems like it would be a no-brainier for a sport-touring bike. I wonder what I'm missing, other than the fact that it might look a little goofy.
                        I just think it isn't necessary. A good chain wax, and the rain doesn't matter.

And for most people, the chain will last as long as they own the bike...with zero maintenance, LOL...
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I just think it isn't necessary. A good chain wax, and the rain doesn't matter.

And for most people, the chain will last as long as they own the bike...with zero maintenance, LOL...
                          I think you've nailed the economic analysis. I keep forgetting I'm not normal.
                          Dogma
                          --
                          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Don't worry, Dale.

"Normal" is just a setting on the clothes dryer.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

A good chain wax, and the rain doesn't matter.
                              Never heard of chain wax, but I have a different solution: I don't allow my ladies out in the rain (or snow, Jedz ).

Comment

"NEVER HEARD OF CHAIN WAX"??? Maxima "Chain Wax"??? You've must have spent a lot of time in a hospital or something. Goes on wet, cures tacky. I've lived a sheltered life, but used Chain Wax for years. Hey Rob, when you get back to going, give it a try.
                                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                                X