Confessions of a troubled history in motorcycling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
    "NEVER HEARD OF CHAIN WAX"??? Maxima "Chain Wax"??? You've must have spent a lot of time in a hospital or something. Goes on wet, cures tacky. I've lived a sheltered life, but used Chain Wax for years. Hey Rob, when you get back to going, give it a try.
    So chains are self-lubing, no more spray bottles, just wax to weatherproof? I'm old school, I still give the chain a spritz every now and then.

When my left leg can support 600lbs, it's feasible I could ride with a heel and toe shifter. (Can't raise my left toes or ankle. )
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      So chains are self-lubing, no more spray bottles, just wax to weatherproof? I'm old school, I still give the chain a spritz every now and then.

When my left leg can support 600lbs, it's feasible I could ride with a heel and toe shifter. (Can't raise my left toes or ankle. )
      That's inconvenient. Maybe a pneumatic shifter?
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Self lubing chains lube the inside, the lube we put on the outside lubes the "O" rings rubbing against the side plates of the chain, dry "O" rings probably wouldn't last long rubbing on dry side plates. Support 600# with left leg?? Ain't the right leg going to do anything? that cuts it in half. Man, you're getting there, just takes longer than it did a half century ago. Didn't you hear, where there's a will there's a way. Heel & toe, you're gett'in it figured out. And Yes Chain Wax.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
          I think you've nailed the economic analysis. I keep forgetting I'm not normal.
          HA! subtle touche…
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I thought you were gonna buy an ebike?
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
              I thought you were gonna buy an ebike?
              When they make one that sounds like a big-bore inline four with a 4-into-1.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                That's inconvenient. Maybe a pneumatic shifter?
                Talk about inconvenient.

Imagine taking a spirited ride that involves a LOT of shifting. Almost through the ride, the air tank is low. Now you're stuck in whatever gear you happen to be in.

Unless that pneumatic shifter has a HUGE tank or an on-board air compressor, I don't see it being practical for anything more than a few trips down the drag strip.

I know that heel-toe shifters don't appeal to very many GSers, but there is a fair amount of acceptance in the Goldwing crowd. Especially if floorboards have been mounted in place of footpegs. I have floorboards on my 850, along with a heel-toe shifter, but it's actually easier to slide my foot forward on the board and use my heel to downshift.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I held onto the front sprocket I removed from the FZ1 the first time I replaced its chain as a reminder to not be stupid. You should see the teeth. Every tooth comes to a point instead of being the proper rounded shape. I only noticed the chain needed replacing when I found a missing tooth in the rear sprocket. This was shortly after I bought it, mind you, so don't attack me. You have to keep watch on the chain and both sprockets. Personally, I prefer shaft drive.
                  Current Bikes:
                  2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Good point DD, with chain you need to keep watch on 2 sprockets & a chain. With the shaft, just keep watch on the splines in the rear hub. Just me, but I like em' both
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Shafties for the WIN
                      Currently in the Stable :
                      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

When they make one that sounds like a big-bore inline four with a 4-into-1.
                        It's just as EZ to do that, as make it sound like Led Zepplin…

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                          Good point DD, with chain you need to keep watch on 2 sprockets & a chain. With the shaft, just keep watch on the splines in the rear hub. Just me, but I like em' both
                          I only need to read two bikes into your stable list, and any shafties further down (and I do mean down ) can be forgiven.

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                          Shafties for the WIN
                          Not! NOT!! Verboten in my garage.

Comment

If you buy the right chain it won’t rust in the rain.... also I think chain maintenance is overrated. Time cost and cost of lube / wax Would probably more than pay for the extra mileage you’d get from a really anal chain regime.

clean it and lube it as and when you remember.

there is a KlR guy (Wattman) who was really anal but working on the premise the most important thing was to keep it clean and keep the onrings wet. He used WD40 as his cleaner and got about 40k from the chain I think... I got 15k and saved myself a hundred hours of work
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Talk about inconvenient.

Imagine taking a spirited ride that involves a LOT of shifting. Almost through the ride, the air tank is low. Now you're stuck in whatever gear you happen to be in.

Unless that pneumatic shifter has a HUGE tank or an on-board air compressor, I don't see it being practical for anything more than a few trips down the drag strip.

I know that heel-toe shifters don't appeal to very many GSers, but there is a fair amount of acceptance in the Goldwing crowd. Especially if floorboards have been mounted in place of footpegs. I have floorboards on my 850, along with a heel-toe shifter, but it's actually easier to slide my foot forward on the board and use my heel to downshift.

I figured an on-board compressor would be involved. It might just be easier to rig a right-foot shifter and move the rear brake to a thumb.
                              Dogma
                              --
                              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                                That is a list of the motorcycles I have owned -

Notice anything they all have in common ???

All SHAFT Drives -

I have never OWNED a Chain driven bike...
                                The first step on the road to recovery is admitting you have a problem. It may be a long road, but I look forward to the day when you can proudly state that you own a proper (chain-driven) motorcycle.

Do you have a sponsor? Be sure to call your sponsor if you feel yourself backsliding.

Good luck. We're praying for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X