No announcement yet.

My new toy, 1996 CBR900rr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, you can still get the Pirelli Sport Demon in it, and of course, the old Lasertec is still available.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
      Well, you can still get the Pirelli Sport Demon in it, and of course, the old Lasertec is still available.
      Which, unfortunately, are nothing like modern sport tires. I started racing back in '98 on an EX500, and even then the 16" tires available were woefully antiquated compared to what was available in 17". 20+ years later the gap is much bigger.
      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Oh, I hear ya, but they worked well back in the day for the street. I had Metzelers on my VF1000R.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

What?! Honda pics?!.... oh wait.. wrong site. Seriously thought, congrats and enjoy.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I have had a few good rides out on it and after i sorted out some issues with it i have started to like it.
            When i bought it there was a jack up kit on the back, which made the riding position and handling awful, who knows why people want to jack up the rear??
            Also my legs were almost bent double to get my feet on the footrests but luckily the Harris rear sets have plenty of adjustment to alter the footrest height, so i now have it at a really nice comfortable riding position.
            The engine is strong, with plenty of power, even with 60k miles on the clock it still runs really nice with the K&N filter and full Yoshi exhaust.
            I have laid it up for the winter now and there is a list of "big" issues that need addressing...
            1. new rear tyre
            2. rear brake is useless, caliper needs stripping, cleaning and probably new seals and pistons.
            3. front forks need stripping and servicing, there is not much damping action and none of the adjustments work, mainly because they are stuck/siezed. will fully strip and service the entire forks and fit new seals, bushes and probably replace the tired springs.
            4. carbs need stripping and servicing. the bike runs really rich low down. Until i get them apart i dont know what state they are inside but i have noticed the float bowls are fitted to the wrong carbs.
            5. electrics. everything works ok, charging is good ( it has the uprated reg/rec fitted) but i just want to go through all the connectors and make sure they are good and clean.

After all that i will be looking forward to riding it again next summer
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Beautiful bike!

You've got lots to do this winter. All the best.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                ...When i bought it there was a jack up kit on the back, which made the riding position and handling awful, who knows why people want to jack up the rear??...
                At least for track use, most bikes benefit from some combination of a raised rear and lowered front. But there are some exceptions. First gen R6 you needed to leave the rear height stock and raise the front a few mm's. Took a little while for people to realize the the standard changes where going in the wrong direction.

I don't have any experience with your bike, but it may be a similar story.
                '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

The GS series with 19" front wheels all need the front lowered, rear raised for better faster turning. Just my opinion and experience.
                  On the 900rr with it's 16" front wheel, I don't see that, maybe for drag racing?
                  Who's to say the PO knew what they were doing.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                    Take the quotes off of “upgrade”, the 17” front is much better.
                    It certainly is. The 6-pots, however, not so much. They look impressive though, I'll give you that.

I did one of these for an owner who thought it was a little down on power stock. Ported, dialled cams, closed up the squish to where it should have been.
                    Made a slip on tailpipe for it too. Dyno'd at 140 RWHP.
                    A year later the same owner came back and asked about turboing it....I didn't want to know. I heard through the grapevine that he'd done it - and had the clutch disintegrate on a dyno run. Wrote off the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                      At least for track use, most bikes benefit from some combination of a raised rear and lowered front.
                      Maybe so for track use, on most bikes, but in my opinion this handled like a pig and it was so dam uncomfortable to ride.
                      It shifted all my weight forward onto my wrists and i couldn't sit on the seat properly as i was always sliding forward right up against the tank.
                      Now it is back to how it should be it is much more comfortable and easier on the wrists. Goes through the twisties much better now as well. I suspect when i have sorted the forks out things will improve even more.
                      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                        Maybe so for track use, on most bikes, but in my opinion this handled like a pig and it was so dam uncomfortable to ride.
                        It shifted all my weight forward onto my wrists and i couldn't sit on the seat properly as i was always sliding forward right up against the tank.
                        Now it is back to how it should be it is much more comfortable and easier on the wrists. Goes through the twisties much better now as well. I suspect when i have sorted the forks out things will improve even more.
                        I'm not doubting you, and as I said I have no experience with that bike so I don't know what works on it.
                        I was just trying to explain why the rear might have been raised up in the first place.

Comment

God I miss my 1999 model.

2010 Honda VFR1200F
                          1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
                          Being Revisited
                          1981 Honda CM400T
                          http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Working...
                          X