Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Seen any good movies lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Baatfam View Post
    No, I gave them a try. To be fair, super-spy movies are just OK in my book....And, I never read the 007 books, either.

The early Connery films were on TV when I was an impressionable 8-12 year old, saw them many times. So he is James Bond.
    The first of the Moore films came out when I was in Junior year of high school, and we were somewhat busy with dirt bikes, sports cars and stuff.

75-79 were service years, which means no pop culture stuck during that time. That's why I never really watched SNL or other shows that became popular then. (Although we did see Star Wars many, many, many times)

Once I got out, my high school buddy, (who just loved the Roger Moore films - go figure), just couldn't stop loading them in the VCR. So I saw most of them. Ugh.
    After that, what? Dalton and Brosnan? Again, ugh.

Anywho....
    By the time Craig came along 10 years later, I just wasn't interested. I did see the first one. It was OK, but didn't interest me in watching the second.

So not really close-minded, just much, much simpler to say Roger Moore spoiled the franchise for me.
    Interesting sequence to explain your reasoning.

I’m not saying that because I liked Roger Moore…He was the first Bond I saw on the screen. He seemed cool for me at the time.

Its great to get everyone’s take on Bond…he did affect us one way or the other.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    second to the magical roger moore best tv star bond ever
    I mean the man was a saint.

Binge watching The Persuader!.
    Such crap my god I despise Tony Curtis...............a goofball ham who only ever played himself.
    Connery was the definitive Bond for me, but of all the thugs in dinner jackets, Moore ranks a poor fifth in my view. I much preferred Moore in the Saint role, and having read the books by Charteris I was aware that The Saint was somewhat less than saintly when it came to keeping loot or purging villains permanently.
    The problem with Moore for me was that the TV character had been sanitised beyond recognition and Moore himself didn't fit my notions of what a Bond should be.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was a Bond movie.
    Moore for me seemed to play the role as comedy.
    I saw him interviewed by Gay Byrne once. The interview opened with the opening sequence of the latest movie. The audience duly applauded.
    Gay said..... My researchers tell me that you don't like fast cars, are afraid of heights, hate guns and loud noises........Would you mind explaining that clip we just saw.
    Roger straightened up in his seat, pulled back his shoulders and said.... I am an Actor.
    Connery FTW.
    80 GS850GT
    79 Z400B

Quote Originally Posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    Idris Elba already said he will not be the next Bond. He didn't discount ever playing the role (though, at 49, he's getting toward the upper end of the character's viability).

Moore was Bond when I got into Bond, and two of my favorite Bond films, simply for the scenery and over-the-top characters, were during Moore's tenure, but Connery was the best Bond, with Craig coming a close second. Sadly, this last Craig film is too syrupy, too unbalanced, and a bit too self-indulgent to measure up to Craig's first outing, which really did knock it out of the ballpark.
    Craig is 53 so I don't think age is an issue.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Craig has said this is his last Bond film. Even if he is sincere, I believe at some point he will be made an offer he can't refuse.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
    Craig has said this is his last Bond film. Even if he is sincere, I believe at some point he will be made an offer he can't refuse.
    Reading some of what he is reported to have said about Knives Out and Benoit Blanc, I get the feeling that like many artists he is hungry for a change in direction and to explore new possibilities rather than ride the gravy train.
    80 GS850GT
    79 Z400B

Here's some location shots of the second units filming bike/car stunts on location for the new Bond Film, No Time to Die.

Question Dune, version #3

Soon to be released, but who knows how good it'll be, how it'll compare to earlier versions.
    How disgusting will the Harkonnen be?
    How much rote animation will be saturated in scenes?
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Baatfam is online now Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    Soon to be released, but who knows how good it'll be, how it'll compare to earlier versions.
    How disgusting will the Harkonnen be?
    How much rote animation will be saturated in scenes?
    I am hopeful, but not optimistic. Such a wonderful book, but so hard to translate to film.
    Bob T.

"That which you manifest is before you." -- Enzo
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
    "...for our existence to hold any value, it must end. To live meaningful lives, we must die and not return." -- Number Six

'83 GS1100E ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '99 TRIUMPH TROPHY 900 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Quote Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
    No. He's done, Rob. In fact, other than Connery, whose pull as the first big name Bond allowed Never Say Never Again to come to pass, Bonds have a shelf life that begins with someone in their mid to late 30's or early 40's and ends in their mid to late 50's. You just don't (and won't) see a geriatric Bond.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f