Seen any good movies lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    I suppose, if you haven't been a comic book reader of at least a somewhat avid bent, you might not see why elevating villains to relatable characters can matter.

It was initially set to be a sequel to that earlier film, and it actually plays out as one just fine, since there have been multiple Suicide Squads in the comics.
    That yes, but making villains relatable characters is nothing new....(Maybe it is for comic book people)

The nonstop killing really did put me off, though. It's not just this movie, it's a lot of movies and TV series.

Maybe that's why in our house, "Ted Lasso" is the best thing we've seen in years.
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
      That yes, but....the nonstop killing really put me off. It's not just this movie, it's a lot of movies and TV series.

Maybe that's why in our house, "Ted Lasso" is the best thing we've seen in years.
      Did you dislike films like The Magnificent Seven (1960 version) or Unforgiven, or even Midway? What about stories like The Iliad or Le Morte d'Arthur? Good stories have often throughout history included a lot of killing.

Would it be a good bet to suspect that you don't like horror films that include killing?
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Did you dislike films like The Magnificent Seven (1960 version) or Unforgiven, or even Midway? What about stories like The Iliad or Le Morte d'Arthur? Good stories have often throughout history included a lot of killing.
        Understood, and own The Magnificent Seven, and many others like that.
        The destruction of Adleraan wasn't the same either.
        My favorite movie of all time, Zulu....lots of death.
        Generally, like you say, necessary to the story, or even the actual history.

But none of it is "fun" death...or LOL death.
        Maybe it's pandemic hangover, but death as the punchline? No thanks.

Would it be a good bet to suspect that you don't like horror films that include killing?
        I generally don't like horror films at all. Most aren't even scary.

If I want horror, I can watch Das Boot...

Comment

Understood, and own The Magnificent Seven, and many others like that.
          The destruction of Adleraan wasn't the same either.
          My favorite movie of all time, Zulu....lots of death.
          Generally, like you say, necessary to the story, or even the actual history.

But none of it is "fun" death...or LOL death.
          Maybe it's pandemic hangover, but death as the punchline? No thanks.

I generally don't like horror films at all. Most aren't even scary.

If I want horror, I can watch Das Boot...
          Das Boot an excellent horror, the anticipation and tension of what is about to or what could happen is what makes makes the heart beat faster. Living on the edge, not seeing what was coming for you. Long periods of intense escalating fear followed by brief but extreme violence.

Another more traditional horror that follows that theme of imminent unseen danger was Alien. Death, potentially lurking around every corner but always just out of sight in the dark, maybe it was there maybe it wasn't. Alien II was very much like Das Boot with radar/sonar devices increasing in tempo as it tracked the aliens zeroing in on their human target.
          Last edited by wyly; 08-08-2021, 01:39 PM.
          1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

That yes, but making villains relatable characters is nothing new....(Maybe it is for comic book people)

The nonstop killing really did put me off, though. It's not just this movie, it's a lot of movies and TV series.

Ted Lasso proves you don't need to put a gun in the heroes hands to make great entertainment.
            1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Alien is one of the all-time great horror films. I'd offer up The Babadook, Us, and The Exorcist, too.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                Das Boot an excellent horror, the anticipation and tension of what is about to or what could happen is what makes makes the heart beat faster. Living on the edge, not seeing what was coming for you. Long periods of intense escalating fear followed by brief but extreme violence.

Another more traditional that follows that theme of unseen imminent unseen danger was Alien. Death was potentially lurking around every corner but always just out of sight in the dark, maybe it was there maybe it wasn't.
                Liked Alien, although I liked the second one much more.
                I love Sci-Fi, it's what I read and watched in my youth, and still do.
                But not Fantasy or Comics....go figure.

Ted Lasso proves you don't need to put a gun in the heroes hands to make great entertainment.
                True that. And it is still a very adult show.

Alien is one of the all-time great horror films. I'd offer up The Babadook, Us, and The Exorcist, too.
                Looked up the first two. Nothing there for me.
                I saw the Exorcists when it came out, 197?. Left about 90 minutes in. Boring.

Not into spirits, ghosts, spells, demons, witchcraft, hauntings, etc., etc.
                I can't be scarred of something I can't conceive as possible to exist.

Now they can be fun, sometimes. See "Lucifer" or "Sleepy Hollow"

Aliens, sci-fi stuff, now that's different.

Good chat...thanks guys.
                Last edited by Baatfam; 08-08-2021, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Makes sense. I've always loved all manner of speculative fiction, be it wizards and balrogs, aliens from space, devils, demons and ghosts, or talking reindeer and adorable bumbles. Definitely different strokes for different folks, as it should be.
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Let me add, I did take note of your suggestions. My wife does enjoy horror films, as long as there are no snakes, LOL.

And I really suggest you give Ted Lasso a go. First season is gold, and the second is very good so far. Episode 3 tonight.

Comment

Never saw it, so I had to look it up.

It apparently is not a movie but a television series only available on Apple TV.
                      I do not have Apple TV, so until/unless they release it to regular channels I may never see it..
                      "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                      Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Not a movie, but my wife and I, being fans of The Handmaid’s Tale, got to looking for other shows that the lead, Elizabeth Moss, was in. We had already seen the most recent Invisible Man movie, and it was OK. Then we found a 2 season series on Hulu called Top of the Lake. It and she are fantastic. Her kiwi accent is totally believable (a real kiwi may not agree). Shot in New Zealand. Check it out if you have Hulu.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                          Not a movie, but my wife and I, being fans of The Handmaid’s Tale, got to looking for other shows that the lead, Elizabeth Moss, was in. We had already seen the most recent Invisible Man movie, and it was OK. Then we found a 2 season series on Hulu called Top of the Lake. It and she are fantastic. Her kiwi accent is totally believable (a real kiwi may not agree). Shot in New Zealand. Check it out if you have Hulu.
                          Wasn't she in Mad Men?

Comment

Wasn't she in Mad Men?
                            I believe so. Will have to look for that on HBO Max. We didn’t have HBO in it’s first run.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Worth a look..... on Amazon......perhaps elsewhere too The Last Motorcycle on Earth

Comment

Originally posted by frosty5011 View Post
                                NOBODY

On Demand Nowhttps://www.nobody.movieSometimes the man you don’t notice is the most dangerous of all. Emmy winner Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul, The Post, N...

If you liked any of the John Wick movies, then you have to see this one!
                                Thanks for that ... I just downloaded a copy for later viewing .....
                                Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                                Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                                1983 GS 750

Comment

Working...
                                X