1980 GS850GLT - Getting her back up to riding condition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS850GLT - Getting her back up to riding condition

Back in 2012 I got my first motorcycle, a 1980 GS850 GLT that didn't look much like a GLT anymore. I went through basscliff's instructions and replaced the regulator, coils, went through the carbs, and bought an original exhaust set. Eventually, I got her running pretty well (and up over 110MPH on the highway once, even.)

IMG_0454.jpg

A few years ago, she started leaking oil significantly through the seals and leaving puddles wherever I parked her. I stopped riding her because I didn't want to be "that guy" wherever I parked. With a vow to rebuild her eventually, life happened and some years passed. And now I've finally gotten back to do the job. Figured I'd post my updates here for everyones amusement and maybe some knowledge (hopefully not of what not to do!)

Here's what I plan to do, roughly in order:

- Disassemble bike enough to get the engine out
    - Replace exterior seals/gaskets on the engine (including head gasket, etc.) I bought an aftermarket seal kit and will use most of it and some additional OEM seals/gaskets
    - Check tappet valve clearance again, make sure it's still good and adjust shims if necessary (I already did this in 2012)
    - Replace valve seals, lap valves
    - Replace piston rings, hone cylinders
    - Dip, clean, rebuild carburetors (again, I already did this in 2012)
    - Inspect air box, seal up all leaks, replace with new K&N filter
    - Put engine back in, put bike back together
    - Replace choke cable (original one is completely stuck)
    - Drain/refill final drive oil
    - Inspect electrical system for any major issues, replace connectors, etc. as needed
    - Inspect front forks, ensure they're filled with enough air
    - Tune, test, balance carbs to ensure engine is running well, mixture is good, etc.
    - Replace tires with new ones
    - Inspect brakes, replace brake fluid
    - Rebuild front forks probably with seals, new progressive springs? Replace fork oil

And that's about it, will add more as needed if inspections show stuff that needs it. If you have anything you feel I should add to my list, I'd like to hear it!
    Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2020, 06:48 PM. Reason: Adding todo list

Getting the engine out.

First point of order is getting the bike disassembled enough to get the engine out so I can work on it.
    I started Saturday evening, on the 8th. By Sunday the 9th, I had the engine out and on a desk.

IMG_1099.jpg

A couple of points of interest:

1. I discovered only 3 of the 4 bolts were in place between the secondary drive and the final shaft. The 4th was loose in the rubber boot and had been banging around against the other surfaces in there, and the 3 that remained were fairly loose too! I'm guessing the PO put them back without any threadlocker?

2. I used a car engine crane for getting the engine out. I wrapped a lashing strap around the block twice and lifted it up. Yes, it was overkill, but I already had the crane and it made the removal sooo much easier and precise!

3. Man, there's a lot of oil on the bottom side of this engine. Using an array of engine degreasers, scotch brite pads, paper towels, and my trusty old toothbrush and plenty of elbow grease. Gloves definitely recommended for this work.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2020, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Oil Pan

Yesterday (Monday the 10th), I didn't have much time, but figured I'd start on some of the seals while I'm waiting for some parts to get here (OEM piston rings, etc. ordered and on the way).
      I started with the oil pan, to get a good idea of what I'm getting into.
      The inside doesn't look too bad, however, I did find more metal filings in the pan than I wanted to:

IMG_1103.jpg

Gotta be honest, if I found chunks like that in my car's oil pan, I'd be really concerned, but given that this is from both the engine and the transmission, should I be worried? That one long piece almost looks like the tip of a spur gear. If someone has some advice on whether I should be worried about this or not, it's much appreciated. Regardless, I scraped the gasket surfaces carefully with a razor blade, pre-oiled the new gasket with Rotella T4 oil, put it on and torqued the bolts to around 60 inch/lbs. (as recommended by the service manual).

Another question: how does everyone prefer to prepare and install gaskets? How do you clean off the surfaces of gasket material and debris? Do you pre-oil the gaskets and with what?
      Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2020, 06:06 PM.

Comment

The gear tip might be the result of a clumsy gearchange by a PO. If it is, and during the time you were running it you didn't hear anything amiss (knocks, clunks, grinding, crunching) it'll probably be fine.
        For gaskets, surgically clean casting faces and some oil them on the engine side so that the gasket will remove in one piece with the sump or side cover. It works for some people, but there's no guarantee.
        OEM gaskets where you can. The side cover gaskets aren't quite so important as they're easy to replace, but OEM only for the barrel base gasket and OEM for the head gasket if you can find one. They are getting harder to find at a reasonable price as New Old Stock dries up. Partzilla has one for $114 though. A bit ouchy steep, but it's a one-time only expense.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Grimly. I don't recall hearing or feeling anything like that in particular, so I'll call it good and not take apart the bottom end for now.
          I've been scraping the gasket faces with razor blades, taking great care to avoid gouging the soft aluminum. I've been able to get all of the gasket material and debris off except for the remaining discoloration here and there.
          I did purchase an aftermarket gasket kit, but I also got an OEM base gasket and o-rings. I also have silicone "real gaskets" for the valve cover and breather that I'll be reusing. I'm a little on the fence about the $110 head gasket though.
          Thanks again!

Comment

Clutch cover

Yesterday I started by pulling off the clutch cover to have a look and replace the gasket.

IMG_1113.jpg

Looked pretty good in there to me, nothing further needed here, I think. So I cleaned off the gasket surfaces carefully with a couple of razor blades cleaned up the oil sediment that had settled on the bottom, and gave the rest of the area a good cleaning before I oiled the gasket and put it back together.

Comment

Stator cover

Last night after I finished up the clutch cover, I figured I'd at least get the stator cover off to see how it's doing.

IMG_1114.jpg

Looks ok. For a moment I forgot that there's supposed to be some oil in here and got a little concerned. The stator looks a little dark, but I guess that's to be expected. I'll see how it looks after I clean it up a bit.
              To be clear, I've never actually had a problem with the stator on this bike. After reading the stator papers, I replaced the regulator before I had any problems.

Comment

Under the stator cover

Figured I'd share a pic of the flywheel too. All looks fine here I think.

IMG_1115.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by redfenix View Post
                  Yesterday I started by pulling off the clutch cover to have a look and replace the gasket.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61519[/ATTACH]

Looked pretty good in there to me, nothing further needed here, I think. So I cleaned off the gasket surfaces carefully with a couple of razor blades cleaned up the oil sediment that had settled on the bottom, and gave the rest of the area a good cleaning before I oiled the gasket and put it back together.
                  I'd check the clutch for a fairly common issue .. the central clutch hub nut.
                  On these GSes they tend to come loose.
                  Lasts a long time when re-torqued but APE sells a stronger nut that will not loosen.

Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                  VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                  Bikecliff's website
                  The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Yesterday (Monday the 10th), I didn't have much time, but figured I'd start on some of the seals while I'm waiting for some parts to get here (OEM piston rings, etc. ordered and on the way).
                    I started with the oil pan, to get a good idea of what I'm getting into.
                    The inside doesn't look too bad, however, I did find more metal filings in the pan than I wanted to:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61513[/ATTACH]

Gotta be honest, if I found chunks like that in my car's oil pan, I'd be really concerned, but given that this is from both the engine and the transmission, should I be worried? That one long piece almost looks like the tip of a spur gear. If someone has some advice on whether I should be worried about this or not, it's much appreciated. Regardless, I scraped the gasket surfaces carefully with a razor blade, pre-oiled the new gasket with Rotella T4 oil, put it on and torqued the bolts to around 60 inch/lbs. (as recommended by the service manual).

Another question: how does everyone prefer to prepare and install gaskets? How do you clean off the surfaces of gasket material and debris? Do you pre-oil the gaskets and with what?
                    Personally, I'd be more concerned how that quarter got in there.
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

What? You mean your GS isn't coin operated?

Comment

mine runs on plastic... swiped at any number of corner locations en route!

Welcome back to the forum. Looks like you're getting stuck in! I just finished up an 1100G. Just finished running it in
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

What? You mean your GS isn't coin operated?
                          Trying to get it to run on bitcoin.
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Speaking from experience with that particular model, I would recommend an item for your to-do list. Verify correct function of the petcock valve.

In the prime position, you should be able to suck on the vacuum port and feel the valve actuate and stay actuated with no more air flowing through the vacuum line. In the run position, you will need to keep sucking, but not a lot.

The problem is, the plastic part of the valve shrinks over the decades creating a vacuum leak, so the petcock won't stay open correctly. This manifests as fuel starvation at highway speeds, and feels exactly like running out of gas when the tank is not yet empty.

Most people also recommend checking that the gas cap vents correctly when the fuel starvation question comes up. Probably should verify both before it has a chance to be a problem.
                            Dogma
                            --
                            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                            '80 GS850 GLT
                            '80 GS1000 GT
                            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Finished lower-end covers and took apart carbs

I was out late last week, traveling to visit family until I got back this Monday. I had yesterday off and finished up the lower-end covers. Then, since I took Grimly's advice and I ordered a new head gasket, I decided to wait to open that up for a little bit. So instead, I started on the carbs.

IMG_1163.jpg

Here's what I got done:

1. Removed stator from cover and cleaned off, reinstalled.
                              2. Cleaned gasket face and looked over starter gears/flywheel.
                              3. Reinstalled stator cover with new gasket.
                              4. Took clutch cover off again, took off clutch pressure plate, springs, plates.
                              5. Measured clutch plates as per service manual (all well within spec)
                              6. Measured clutch springs (low end of spec, will need to replace at some point)
                              7. Checked center clutch hub nut, and it was extremely tight with no visible wear on folded part of washer. I tried to loosen it but it did not budge easily, so I did not go any further. (Thanks Rijko for the tip!)
                              8. Put clutch back together, torqued, replaced cover using existing (new) gasket.
                              9. Un-ganged and disassembled carbs (lots of green, sticky fuel in them)
                              10. Started putting carbs in dip

And that's where I'm at now. Since the fuel was so sticky, I'm figuring on needing to let the carb bodies and parts sit in the dip a bit longer. Good thing I bought a new bucket of dip for this.
                              I'll get back to the top-end of the engine after the rest of the parts come in and I'm done with the carbs.
                              Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2020, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X