Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1983 gs450l Clutch cover bolts - torque specifications anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 gs450l Clutch cover bolts - torque specifications anyone?

Hi all, looked at both Clymer and Hayes for the torque settings on the clutch cover bolts without any success. Also checked the Suzuki service manual, no dice ...

Anyone know what torque these should be set at?

Thanks!

Forum newbie.

It's tricky in practise because the threads and holes are usually oily and the torque recommended are for dry holes..but first note is that dry for 6mm dry threads are about 72 inch/lbs...up to 88? or so but try not to go there. thinner screws will be less torque. A good gasket will help.....inch/lbs because you want an "inch/lb" torque wrench....not here so much as when you handle the valve-cover... The bigger ft/lb torque wrenches are meaningless at low torques...

and clean oily threads and holes are less torque...

Soo, rather than all that, without a fancy wrench handy, just hand-tighten fairly hard and equally without any leverage of a wrench-handle. Use a JIS screw driver for cross-head, or if 8mm bolt-headed, a screw-driver handle on the socket-(these often are in a small-socket wrench kit)...and, if you worry about "too loose-falling out", a single tap with an impact driver will be more than enough but will make it harder to remove them too, if you need do it away from shop-that's the ruin of many good JIS screw heads.
    Last edited by Gorminrider; 08-16-2020, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
      It's tricky in practise because the threads and holes are usually oily and the torque recommended are for dry holes..but first note is that dry for 6mm dry threads are about 72 inch/lbs...up to 88? or so but try not to go there. thinner screws will be less torque. A good gasket will help.....inch/lbs because you want an "inch/lb" torque wrench....not here so much as when you handle the valve-cover... The bigger ft/lb torque wrenches are meaningless at low torques...

and clean oily threads and holes are less torque...

Soo, rather than all that, without a fancy wrench handy, just hand-tighten fairly hard and equally without any leverage of a wrench-handle. Use a JIS screw driver for cross-head, or if 8mm bolt-headed, a screw-driver handle on the socket-(these often are in a small-socket wrench kit)...and, if you worry about "too loose-falling out", a single tap with an impact driver will be more than enough but will make it harder to remove them too, if you need do it away from shop-that's the ruin of many good JIS screw heads.
      Thanks for the detailed response !

Comment

well, that's just how I see it after slogging through the mud of information and my own bikes...so many of which came to me with ruined casing screws.

By the way, many manuals for various bikes come with a torque information chart for "other screws and bolts". Clymer and haynes may not have it or it's hidden somewhere. Goto BikeCliff's Website and see if there's a Suzuki manual for your bike. You can't have too many manuals.
        here's a screengrab from a Suzuki shop manual but bear my notes per oily threads in mind.
        Screen-2020-08-17_07-05-07.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
          well, that's just how I see it after slogging through the mud of information and my own bikes...so many of which came to me with ruined casing screws.

By the way, many manuals for various bikes come with a torque information chart for "other screws and bolts". Clymer and haynes may not have it or it's hidden somewhere. Goto BikeCliff's Website and see if there's a Suzuki manual for your bike. You can't have too many manuals.
          here's a screengrab from a Suzuki shop manual but bear my notes per oily threads in mind.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]61538[/ATTACH]
          Thanks for the information ... your snap shot is complete and printed to place in my shop!

Comment

oh gee-how could I forget?-try this manual link too. nice job VGplay did of the official manual.

Comment

Working...
            X