Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SH775 Mounting Options on GS1100E? - Got any photos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SH775 Mounting Options on GS1100E? - Got any photos?

After 15 years of pushing my luck, I finally invested in a SH775 and Triumph cable setup.
    The wiring is straight forward, but I am looking for photos of how you mounted it on your bike. Especially if it is a 1100E.

Going to test the stator first, than wire it all up in the next week or two.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Mine's mounted to the slightly modified tool bag bracket. I never had the tool bag, so it wasn't being used anyway. Not sure what kind of space your're working with.

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 08-17-2020, 12:58 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Hi Bob. I cant get any pictures for you right now and not sure if there were changes between 81 and 82. But I moved the ignitor over to where the old reg/rec was located and the SH775 almost fit perfectly where the ignitor used to be. I say almost because I think I had to file the holes on the mounting tabs on the SH775 just slightly.
      1981 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
        Mine's mounted to the slightly modified tool bag bracket. I never had the tool bag, so it wasn't being used anyway. Not sure what kind of space your're working with.
        Actually I have quite a bit of space, since I have no air box.
        But I have a plastic tool tray the goes over the battery for storage, and I would like to keep it.

Your photo made me see the 1100e has a lot of room above the rear master, thank you, and so I was thinking about making a bracket.

But than....bull958 mentioned this:
        Originally posted by bull958 View Post
        Hi Bob. I cant get any pictures for you right now and not sure if there were changes between 81 and 82. But I moved the ignitor over to where the old reg/rec was located and the SH775 almost fit perfectly where the ignitor used to be. I say almost because I think I had to file the holes on the mounting tabs on the SH775 just slightly.
        And yes, Mr. Bull....I see how that could work very well. Thank you.
        Last edited by Baatfam; 08-17-2020, 03:03 PM.

Comment

I just threw the carbs away and had plenty of room for the reg-rec.

---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
            I just threw the carbs away and had plenty of room for the reg-rec.

If you got rid of the engine, you'd have room for a case of beer. Just saying... :0)
            1981 GS1100E

Comment

If you got rid of the engine, you'd have room for a case of beer. Just saying... :0)
              LOL.....We so need a "like" button.

Comment

bEfgWXD.jpg This is what I did.
                1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                  After 15 years of pushing my luck, I finally invested in a SH775...
                  So I have 8 years, right?

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                  ...I have no air box.
                  Glad to hear that. Air boxes in general look terrible, and '82 and '83 11Es also severely restrict battery access.

Also glad to see you have the best color of the four offered between '82 and '83.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                    So I have 8 years, right?
                    Maybe not.....Did the "quick test" a few minutes ago....results were not good.

1. Key off: 12.7 VDC
                    2. Key on: 11.9 VDC
                    3. At idle: 13.1 VDC
                    4. 2500 rpm: 12.9 VDC
                    5. 5000 rpm: 12.9 VDC
                    6. Key off: 13.0 VDC

I'll check the stator output later this week.
                    Hopefully, that is OK.
                    Also, new ground cable on order.

Guess it was a good time to upgrade.

Comment

Did the stator test this morning.

Lead to lead: 92 vac, 89 vac, and 88 vac

Leads to grnd: Essentially zero for all three.

So I am calling the stator good, and moving forward with the Sh775 install.

Comment

Mr. Bull, you hit the nail on the head. Perfect!
                        As you said, the SH775 fits nicely on the igniter bracket, and the igniter fits nicely where the old RR was.
                        The igniter bracket bolts have an approx. 73mm spacing. Using a dremel, I just elongated the mounting holes on the SH775 by about 2-3mm.

The igniter just need a second hole drilled to fit on the left side. The wires were plenty long enough.

New ground cable will be here today. (Partzilla - ordered Monday, here today) Wire it all up tomorrow.

Comment

Morning Bob, glad I could help. Steve
                          1981 GS1100E

Comment

And I do appreciate it, Steve!

All done, except for tidying up the wires. The SH775 fits real well, and the new voltage numbers are good.

Before -- After
                            1. Key off - 12.66 -- 12.50
                            2. Key on - 11.92 -- 11.84
                            3. Idle ---- 13.1 ---- 13.5
                            4. 2500 --- 12.9 ---- 14.2
                            5. 5000 --- 12.9 ---- 14.5
                            6. Key off - 13.0 ---- 13.3

Comment

I'll ask. What are these parts and what do they do for us?
                              1982 GS1100GL: hand built stainless 4-1 exhaust, pods, jetting.

Comment

Working...
                              X