The “Piano Wire”: How do I replace it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The “Piano Wire”: How do I replace it?

I’m unable to view a manual right now, so I need some help.

How do I replace the piano wire that retains the innermost clutch plate on a GS? I have figured out a trick to compress the spring washer behind the innermost plate to make it possible to tuck the wire into the groove on the drum, and got all the way around to the last few teeth before realizing that the wire needs to be tight against the hole where the first bent leg pokes through into the hole in the drum in order for the second bent leg to be able to poke through.

I am currently engaged in my second attempt to get the wire in. Can anybody tell me or show me how to do this successfully? Or maybe tell me that I don’t actually need the wire?
    1982 GS1100GL: hand built stainless 4-1 exhaust, pods, jetting.

The wire (Suzuki calls it the stopper ring) is starting to feel like a one-use part. I have the wire installed now, but it easily pops out of the teeth closest to the hole that the bent legs poke through. I think this is caused by the fact that it is impossible to remove the bent legs from the hole without deforming the ends.

Comment

I have twisted the ends of the wire to tighten them in the hole, and the wire is appearing to stay put, so I am going to proceed with reassembly.

Comment

Originally posted by Longitudinal View Post
        The wire (Suzuki calls it the stopper ring) is starting to feel like a one-use part. I have the wire installed now, but it easily pops out of the teeth closest to the hole that the bent legs poke through. I think this is caused by the fact that it is impossible to remove the bent legs from the hole without deforming the ends.
        service manual says replace with new..
        also makes vague mentio of install not very helpful
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I have twisted the ends of the wire to tighten them in the hole, and the wire is appearing to stay put, so I am going to proceed with reassembly.

Yah whats the worst that could happen?
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
            Yah whats the worst that could happen?
            As I see it, the wire could come loose and shred a disc, causing another two weeks on the center stand.

If I ever have another GS, I’m going to need a dang good reason to remove that innermost plate. I removed this one only because three plates had uneven discoloration, leading me to suspect deformation. Even if I saw that discoloration, I wouldn’t have replaced the plates if I hadn’t had a grabbing problem with the clutch disengaged.

Comment

As I see it, the wire could come loose and shred a disc, causing another two weeks on the center stand.

If I ever have another GS, I’m going to need a dang good reason to remove that innermost plate. I removed this one only because three plates had uneven discoloration, leading me to suspect deformation. Even if I saw that discoloration, I wouldn’t have replaced the plates if I hadn’t had a grabbing problem with the clutch disengaged.
              And were the steels warped ?

Once you've bent the ends over on the inside of the clutch hub, the wire shouldn't come off. If it does, I'd doubt if it'll damage the clutch plates - more likely to simply get pulled out and chewed up. Then to sit in the sump and worry the next owner....

Comment

I can't say yet. I didn't check them for flatness last night. Curiosity may get the better of me at some point, but the clutch now works as it should with new plates and discs.

Comment

I broke mine about 6 years ago when trying to reinstall it. Rapid Ray was adamant that it was unnecessary.
                  I left it out. No issues.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                    I broke mine about 6 years ago when trying to reinstall it. Rapid Ray was adamant that it was unnecessary.
                    His word is good enough for me.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                      I might very well leave it out if this one causes me grief.

Comment

In all the clutches I've done throughout the years, I have NEVER replaced that wire. ZERO issues, EVER!!

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                          In all the clutches I've done throughout the years, I have NEVER replaced that wire. ZERO issues, EVER!!
                          Well, that's an authoritative NO on whether or not I will reinstall it next time.

Comment

Working...
                          X