Cotter Pin Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
    I don't think it makes any difference how the bend is. I stopped using them and went to the spring steel clamping cotter pin type for most things.
    Yer talkin' sense here... So long as it can't fall out or rip your shin open, it's good.

I need to do a conversion to those. I don't know why I haven't thought of it yet. Especially when they're securing a service part.

I've also heard them called "R clips", but I doubt you'll find that in McMaster. Lemme see here.... Not listed by that, but searching by that name finds them.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Hairpin cotter pins
    Hitch pin clips
    R-clips
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Since we've strayed and answered the question...
      I use a spring, R clip, whatever its called as a keychain holder for my work keys... standard keyring on the R clip, slip the straight end of the clip into my front pants pocket edge, the squiggly part out. Done and an easy grab for my many trips to my van throughout the day.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
        Since we've strayed and answered the question...
        I use a spring, R clip, whatever its called as a keychain holder for my work keys... standard keyring on the R clip, slip the straight end of the clip into my front pants pocket edge, the squiggly part out. Done and an easy grab for my many trips to my van throughout the day.
        Strayed is right! HA! I love it

I'd purchased a few stock cotter pins, and after reading everyone's advice I decided to install the front one around and tucked, like so...

and on the rear I did it around the front and back, like so...

Thanks again fellers
        Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
        1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

I've been using the R clips for some time too although I'm not against using a spit pin either. I'll use them in places other than the wheel (brake torque arm etc). I just try to make them neat & bend the arms out of the way. On the wheels I used to bend both arma the same way sometimes (not good practice but it works) if I knew the wheel was coming off again soon.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
          X