Cotter Pin Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotter Pin Installation

Folks, I got some stock cotter pins for the wheels of my 79 GS850G. How do you like to fit your cotter pins?

A: wrap each side around the nut?

B: Or snip it a bit, wrap one side around the outside of the bolt and one side around the inside of the nut?
    I've seen this done both ways. What say you?
    Last edited by RustyTank; 08-23-2020, 09:09 AM.
    Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

I was always told the the second way was the correct fitment.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I don't know which is correct but the rear I do as step 2 and the front as step 1 because I got tired of snagging my pants on the protruding ends.
      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

how did they come from Nihon?
        I cannot recall just recall my snagging the wash mitt all the time.

I wrap mine around either way they are not coming out.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I figure the practices used in airplanes are the best tested and most rigorous.

Either is acceptable for a castellated nut in aviation, although the latter in your photos is preferred.

For example, many use the first in tight spaces to reduce snagging and bloodshed, or if pliers access is restricted.

You're also supposed to trim the excess and tuck the tails. I'll usually trim if needed, but tucking isn't always practical.

One overview -- Google around for "aviation" and "cotter pin" or "split pin" and you'll find similar info.
          Cotter pins, safety wire, lock washers, and thread lockers. By Dave Prizio.

Another:

Last edited by bwringer; 08-23-2020, 12:01 PM.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I don't think it makes any difference how the bend is. I stopped using them and went to the spring steel clamping cotter pin type for most things.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Don't see any wrong answers, a small bent nail will work just fine, but i'm with earl. He calls them "spring steel clamping cotter pins", I call them "hair pin clips". No bending nor trimming, just push in & pull out. Available in as many sizes as cotter pins.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                I don't think it makes any difference how the bend is. I stopped using them and went to the spring steel clamping cotter pin type for most things.
                Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                Don't see any wrong answers, a small bent nail will work just fine, but i'm with earl. He calls them "spring steel clamping cotter pins", I call them "hair pin clips". No bending nor trimming, just push in & pull out. Available in as many sizes as cotter pins.
                You guys are talkin bout these guys right here, yeah?

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  I figure the practices used in airplanes are the best tested and most rigorous.

Either is acceptable for a castellated nut in aviation, although the latter in your photos is preferred.

For example, many use the first in tight spaces to reduce snagging and bloodshed, or if pliers access is restricted.

You're also supposed to trim the excess and tuck the tails. I'll usually trim if needed, but tucking isn't always practical.

One overview -- Google around for "aviation" and "cotter pin" or "split pin" and you'll find similar info.
                  Cotter pins, safety wire, lock washers, and thread lockers. By Dave Prizio.

Another:
                  Per the ushe, bwringer, you provided wonderful info. Thanks bud.
                  Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
                    You guys are talkin bout these guys right here, yeah?

Yep. They come in any size imaginable. Been using one on the rear axle nut on the bike forever.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

How long is forever earl?? I bought my 1st GS in "78" a used "77" GS750, The orig owner had put one in the rear axle, so my forever started 42 years ago
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                        How long is forever earl?? I bought my 1st GS in "78" a used "77" GS750, The orig owner had put one in the rear axle, so my forever started 42 years ago
                        Don't remember exactly. lol

Comment

Mine is option B:

MrBill will remember this incident...lol.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                            Mine is option B:

Ed

I use the spring clips there.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                              Mine is option B:

Ed

Hahahahaha yup remember it will. NO SPRING CLIPS. Cotter pins.
                              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X