Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 GS1000GL - From the scrapheap to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah... I would change out both for the 83 if it was me. GS wheels are easy to come by & don't have any real value.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Dang!

Lots of photos...

Ed

Last edited by GSXR7ED; 12-30-2020, 07:30 PM.
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Spent some quality time with the grinder and a wire wheel today getting rid of the rust on bolts and miscellaneous mounts and parts. Not too exciting, but progress is progress. The weather has been bad for painting lately, so I keep finding other things to do while I wait for ac good forecast to paint the engine. I’m now thinking about polishing the cooling fin edges before blacking the engine (minus the polished covers).
        1980 GS1000GL, or will be again once it’s done.

Comment

PSA:

If you go to back out of your driveway in your car and you hear a horrible grinding noise coming from your right front wheel, check to see if your four year old shove the GS1000 font tank mount that your recently cut off your frame through one of the holes in the side of your car wheel, thus getting it jammed in your caliper when you back up.

The disk was straight before getting sucked into my brakes.

The upshot, he’s completely happy about being my garage buddy. Just trying to wrench like daddy.

Comment

My daughter likes to help too...
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Don't want to laugh but that is definitely a "wtf is wrong with the car now" moment.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I was back at it today. Still need to source a new front wheel, but holding on that for the moment to knock out some other projects that I’ve been delaying.

Started off detabbing the area where the battery would normally sit. The cutting was quick and easy but took my time grinding down the left over welds since I was a bit paranoid about gouging out A chunk of the frame. Came out pretty well.

Started up without throwing on any ear protection. That lasted a whole two seconds before I remembered to be an adult.

Next, I made a mock-up electronics tray out of cardboard then transferred the pattern onto sheet metal.

A little time with the old jigsaw and I managed to create this:

It fits into the frame fairly well. Definitely a little fine tuning to do but not a bad start. Since I’m gabbing a new seat pan and rear hump from scratch, I’m not too worried about covering the front bolt hole. If I do end up wanting to use it I can always drill out a hole and use some rubber grommets.

The rear tabs will be bent 90 degrees up which will let the pan sit down into the frame. Haven’t exactly figured out the mounting in the back just yet. Could bolt to the crossmember, though I’d prefer not to punch more holes in the frame. I could also slash the tabs off, cut slots In the tray and use pipe clamps covered in heat shrink tubing wrapped around the crossmember. I’m open to ideas too please toss them out if you have them.

Also went ahead and painted my motor mounts and a few other odds and ends since the earner warmed up and I already had them stripped. Wanted to get a coat on them before they rusted up on me. Anyway, productive day and I’m happy with it. Still need to track down welder to finish up my frame hoop. Once that’s done I can finally paint the frame and start rebuilding.

Comment

Thanks for the inspiration. I'm enjoying what you are doing with a real beater, breathing life back into a great bike. About your wheel issue: is definitely switch to tubeless rims if your current ones are not tubeless tyres applicable. My 650 has the same spoke pattern as yours but is a Japanese home market 1992 bike and rims are tubeless. I once saw a horrible accident on a motorway, a bike with a front wheel blow out. As mentioned a couple of times in this thread, second hand wheels are inexpensive for GS of this era.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  GSX400FX - very broken and in boxes; on its way to recovery after burning out a valve and being hidden away in my own garage for 28 years.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Quick update: picked up a new wheel off eBay for thirty bucks and reasonable shipping. It came in last not and looks clean. I do plan on getting tubeless wheels at some point in the future, but thought it would be better to conserve the limited project funds for the must haves for the time being. A rare moment of restraint for me...

Originally posted by LeT View Post
                    Thanks for the inspiration. I'm enjoying what you are doing with a real beater, breathing life back into a great bike.
                    Thanks man, though come watch me work and you’d be much less inspired. Hahaha

This is likely the last update for a while. Don’t worry, I’m. It giving up, just about to be spending most of my time changing diapers instead of wrenching for a while.

Comment

Its been a long time since I've updated but I haven't abandoned the project, just been a crazy year, new baby and a whole lot more hours at work than I would have liked.

Progress had been made! Got the frame hoop welded, though the guy that did it thought it would be fun to leave the bare metal frame in the rain which put a very nice coat of rust on it. First attempt at painting the frame after cleaning it up failed (user error) and ended up with wrinkled VHT. Stripped it back down and went with grey instead of black on the frame.

I joined the salty monk conversion crew and got the new calipers rebuilt and painted. Once I get the rear set mounts fabricated and figure out how long the rear brake line will need to be I'll order the new stainless brake lines.

The L forks and triple trees have been swapped out for the front end off a G, and I'm much happier with the look. Probably wouldn't have bothered but happened to have a complete parts bike donated to the cause by a buddy of mine.

Rear caliper has been rebuilt and painted to match the front. Also fine tuned the electronics tray and got the mounting figured out. Since I have to rewire from scratch, I picked up a Nuut kit with momentary switches during the 70% of December sale they had going. The SH775 should be here next week.

Next steps are to get the engine cleaned and prepped then ill be shooting it with VHT satin, keeping the covers polished. After that, some more assembly, then either start on th waiting or fabricating the rear set mounts. The headers look pretty rough Eli might wrap them until I save up and put a 4-1 exhaust on.

Last edited by DevilsAdvoduck; 01-11-2022, 12:20 AM. Reason: Messed up the photo links

Comment

I hadn't noticed this thread before - nice progress

Before you go too much further you might want to investigate kicking up the rear hoop on the frame - once you get your butt on the seat and hit a decent bump your tyre is going to hit.
                        Current:
                        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Yeah, I've been looking at that. I may have to notch the hoop rails and pull it up at the tail. Thought I'd have clearance until the new tire was on. I was debating doing it before painting the frame, but since the prep was done I went ahead and painted since things rust before your eyes in Louisiana. should be a straightforward fix and just a small touch up on the paint after welding.
                          Last edited by DevilsAdvoduck; 01-11-2022, 01:29 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

I've bene able to get some more work done, but haven't updated on here, so here's a bit of a catch up:

Taking the sound advice of hillsy, i scrapped the rear hoop and went back to the drawing board. I was going to notch the hoop, give it an upsweep and weld, but I wasn't happy with how it was turning out. Cut the hoop off entirely and went with a factory upswept hoop. Ended up with a slightly longer frame than I was originally intending, but I'm happy with it. It does preserve the option of riding 2-up if I throw the passenger pegs back on in the future.

I got my seat frame fabricated. The top plat rivets are holding the rails together at the moment, but I'll finish up with welds when I get weld up the frame hoop. I wanted to raise the seat level for a few reasons, first being my height and wanting a little more leg room, but also to match the tank height a little better and also give a little more room for the electronics tray under the seat. Speaking of which, I wasn't happy with how the tray was sitting or its capacity, so I went back to the drawing board with that as well. It now hangs below the frame by a little under an inch, but by doing so I created enough room for the battery and all (minus the r/r) to sit hidden under the seat. I need to source the foam and material for the cover, but I've predrilled holes to attach the cover to the seat pan with pop rivets so the seat cover itself is way down on my list of things to do. Not pictured below are the tank mounts. I'll be welding in a couple tabs, and I have elevator bolts punched through the seat pan to use to attach to the bike.

I'm hoping to get to the welding this weekend. It's been a long time since I've welded, so my free time might just be practice on scrap until I get back in the groove and start on the frame itself.

Found out recently that I'll be moving this summer across country, so I'm trying to ramp up my work pace to get this done before I head out. I'd really rather not move with components in boxes and have to worry about losing something.

Last edited by DevilsAdvoduck; 02-16-2022, 04:35 PM. Reason: Added photos

Comment

Dunno if anyone has mentioned this, but the PO had the front wheel mounted backward. It will work that way, but looks wonky. Glad to see you put the new one on right.
                              Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                              1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                              1981 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by zuluwiz View Post
                                Dunno if anyone has mentioned this, but the PO had the front wheel mounted backward. It will work that way, but looks wonky. Glad to see you put the new one on right.
                                PO had lots of little interesting alterations, but that one I didn't catch. Good eye!

Comment

Working...
                                X