Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 GS1000GL - From the scrapheap to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was working with a guy on here to find a twinpot caliper bracket solution for the L model fork. He seems to have disappeared but somewhere i have the bones of it if you fancy carrying on where he left off...
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      I was working with a guy on here to find a twinpot caliper bracket solution for the L model fork. He seems to have disappeared but somewhere i have the bones of it if you fancy carrying on where he left off...
      I am a man easily seduced by the idea of starting a new project. Did you have a specifc twinpot you were trying to fit?
      1980 GS1000GL, or will be again once it’s done.

Comment

Have a look at the thread in my signature.... It fits all the forks with the axle underneath rather than out in front (like the L) as well as the single brake models using a different rotor. The only solution I don't totally have is for the L model but I do have an approximation that would provide a really good starting point....
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Have a look at the thread in my signature.... It fits all the forks with the axle underneath rather than out in front (like the L) as well as the single brake models using a different rotor. The only solution I don't totally have is for the L model but I do have an approximation that would provide a really good starting point....
          That’s nice work! Now I’m curious. If I have some spare time, I’ll play around with some plywood mockups to see if I can get close. Haven’t played with the jigsaw in a while.

Comment

Put this out in a different thread, but figured I should capture it here as well.

I mocked up the new tank and have the mounts mapped out. I made sure to drop the engine/carbs in to make sure I don't have any clearance issues (finally getting a little smarter). I should be adding those in this weekend and clipping off the old mounts. In the process of mounting up the forks to the triple tree/steering stem the thing happened that I should have foreseen, but, of course, did not: the GL triple tree and forks are too tight with thenew tank. After some choice words, half directed at the bike, half at myself, I think I have a solution.

I sourced a G triple tree and steering stem for $15, so that will move the forks so they won't bang into the tank. Also, I found out a buddy of mine has a complete fork set with the wheel/caliper/etc that he might not need that I may be able to pick up from him. The swap means that I won't have the axle leading the fork tube and (hopefully) will result in the front end geometry not changing. The other benefit that Salty_Monk turned me on to is that with the G fork set, I can swap out calipers for twinpots.

Two steps forward, one step back, and always another project to add to the list. But then, that's part of what I love about working old bikes.
            Last edited by DevilsAdvoduck; 12-21-2020, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Yep, I have bracket and spacer kits on my shelf if you do decide to go that route
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

The new triple tree and steering stem came in early. Had some time so I swapped the bearings from the old set that I had cleaned up and ready to go. Mounted up my current forks to confirm that they would clear the new tank. I knew it should, but since the next step was cutting off the stock tank mounts, just had to see it for myself. Measure twice, cut once.

I cut the old front mounts off and made up some new posts on the front with some rods I had laying around. Tank fits it nice and snug on the new forward mounts and I’m much happier with the look of the bike with a bit less L style to it. I say that with apologies to the L loyalists on here.

Also got started on stripping the cracked and flakey rattle can paint off the front wheel. I’m hoping to get the engine cleaned up and painted over the next week as I continue to look for someone to weld my rear frame hoop and electronics tray tabs.

[/FONT]
                Last edited by DevilsAdvoduck; 12-31-2020, 01:31 AM. Reason: Fixed photos

Comment

I don't think there are many "L" loyalists... ok maybe one or two of the misguided might exist here...
                  Last edited by salty_monk; 12-22-2020, 03:29 AM.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by DevilsAdvoduck View Post

Tank fits it nice and snug on the new forward mounts and I’m much happier with the look of the bike with a bit less L style to it. I say that with apologies to the L loyalists on here.

You will also enjoy the extra range of the larger tank. Fuel stops become less frequent and usually less stressful as you wonder what's left and how far you can go with the stupidly small stock tank.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Had some time so I spent it out in the garage. Decided to work in the wheels a bit. They had a pretty rough rattle can job on them from PO that was chipped, cracking, and overall looked pretty terrible. Took a bit of doing, but got the front wheel stripped down. From there I pulled the wheel bearings so I’d be ready when the new All Balls come in. That was a pain. Was using a punch to knock them out from the opposite side, but after and hour, it just wasn’t moving. Tried PB blaster after I tried a little bit of heat. Still no luck so out came the dremel with a cutting wheel and cut out the inner trace. With that gone, a bigger punch and a heavier hammer finished the job.

And then...

Thought it was just a bolt hole packed with dirt or something, but a little scraping proved that false. The PO apparently bought stock in epoxy and decided to make the most of it. Once I got it cleaned out a bit, it looks like PO overtorqued a rotor bolt and pulled out a chunk of the wheel. Just like his carb bowl that split in half, epoxy was there to save him. Not sure why he was willing to roll like this, but I’m definitely not.

So, looks like I’m adding a new wheel to the purchase list. Still hoping to be able to pick up the front end of another GS off a friend of mine, so we’ll see.

I did pull the starter cover, ignition cover and static cover and got them stripped. I am planning on black VHT for most of the engine, but these will end up polished.

Last edited by DevilsAdvoduck; 12-31-2020, 01:32 AM.

Comment

The Pit Posse wheel bearing remover is a great $40 tool....

Shame about the wheel but they are not in short supply... is yours a 16"? if so now is your time to put a 17" off a "G" model on it. If you go to 82 or 83 wheel you get a wider (2.5") front Rim and tubeless compatibility built in (as stock) on both ends. That would be my next move. I have a front wheel from an 82 GS850 that would work for you but not a rear....
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

The Pit Posse wheel bearing remover is a great $40 tool....

Shame about the wheel but they are not in short supply... is yours a 16"? if so now is your time to put a 17" off a "G" model on it. If you go to 82 or 83 wheel you get a wider (2.5") front Rim and tubeless compatibility built in (as stock) on both ends. That would be my next move. I have a front wheel from an 82 GS850 that would work for you but not a rear....
                          I was looking at that puller, actually, but I got stubborn on this one. I started, it fought me, and the only revenge I could get was to make it work. Harder not smarter, but there you go.

I do have a 17 on the rear, and it’s just the front that has to be replaced. Fortunately PO didn’t get “creative” with the rear wheel. If you’re willing to give up the wheel, let me know what you want for it. I could grab one off eBay but I’d rather the money go to a member if possible.
                          Last edited by DevilsAdvoduck; 12-29-2020, 12:13 AM. Reason: Made a mistake. It happens.

Comment

I'd be willing to part with it but the spoke pattern is different from your rear wheel I would think (unless someone put an 82/83 wheel on the rear before...)
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

It's the one like this:

not like this:

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Wasn’t thinking about the spoke pattern difference. That would drive me nuts. Thanks all the same!

Comment

Working...
                                X