Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 GS1000GL - From the scrapheap to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gentlemen, it is with great pleasure that after 2.5 years of my amateurish efforts, I have a runner.

She pops and backfires, and I have much to do to dial
    in the carbs, but hot damn, she runs!
    1980 GS1000GL, or will be again once it’s done.

Comment

Congrats! That's a good feeling.
      - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
      - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

After an afternoon with my new friends Colortune and Carbtune, the carbs are dialed in. Even though I don't have the seat cover done yet, I couldn't resist taking her out for a quick shakedown run. Low end torque was fantastic coming off the line! Still waiting on my plates, so had to stay in the neighborhood, so still haven't fully opened her up just yet. Which turned out to be a good thing.

Unfortunately, the shakedown run became too literal. She shook, and then she was down. Apparently PO at some point pulled or attempted to pull the secondary drive out. When he put it back in, he didn't put the bolts into the driven gear housing so after coming under load a few times, the driven gear housing pushed out, lost firm contact between the gears and gouged up both gears nice and deep. There was a slight vibration for a second, then the terrible Grinding. I dropped into neutral and killed the engine as quick as I could, but the damage was done. My own fault really. I've found so many parts missing or incorrectly installed that I should have caught it.

At any rate, I pulled the secondary drive and going to have to swap them out. I found a set, housing and all that should be here by this weekend and ordered new O-rings and bolts. Once I get those in, the to do list is getting pretty short:

- Rattle can fenders and tank (full paint will wait until next winter)
        - Sew/install seat cover
        - Figure out breather hose w/ catch can or filter
        - Rework rearset linkage

Comment

Getting so close now!

I got the tank and fenders painted, seat cover stitched up and mounted, and the secondary drive swapped out. Also got the rear set linkage figured out.

This was my first time sewing anything on a sewing machine. It’s not perfect but as long as I ride fast enough, no one will be able to tell.

As I was getting the swing arm back on I had one of those moments where you realize that you’ve really learned this machine and everything is going together so much easier because if that knowledge. Had the easiest time I’ve ever had getting the drive shaft bolts torqued down properly and was about to mount the wheel when I realized I wasn’t having an epiphany of knowledge and experience, I had just forgotten to put the drive shaft boot on so this was the first time I bolted up the drive shaft and wasn’t fighting for space with the boot. Smacked myself in the back of the head, had a laugh and took the swing arm back off to start again.

Once I got everything reassembled, I moved on to look at the shifter. The shifter wasn’t returning to center after upshifting. I pulled the clutch basket and found this:

I reset the spring and now it’s functioning right.

When I was reassembling the clutch, one of the spring bolts snapped off. Wasn’t cranking on it and I was using a torque wrench set to 8lbs but away she went anyway.

I'm going to pull the hub back out so I can drill out the bolt on the drill press and hopefully an easy out will do it, though I’ve never had much luck with them. I’m also going to use this as an excuse to get a new torque wrench.

My plates and tags should be coming in the mail next week, so trying to get the last bits wrapped up before then.

To do:

- extract the broken bolt
          - button up the clutch
          - left front turn signal stopped working

Comment

The seat looks good to me!
            - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
              The seat looks good to me!
              Choosing your photo angle also hides a host of sins, haha. But thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by DevilsAdvoduck View Post

Choosing your photo angle also hides a host of sins, haha. But thanks!
                Lol that's true. Still think it looks great though.

Comment

So the broken bolt in the clutch hub lives there permanently now. It snapped at a rough angle and I couldn’t get the bit to stop walking off to the side. Tried from the back but no luck there either. I picked up a replacement off eBay and managed to get one without notches or grooves on the splines.

I ordered a full set of bolts to mount up the clutch springs and turns out I’m glad I did. So where along the last 42 years since the old girl rolled off the factory floor someone swapped the bolts for others that were substantially shorter.

The clutch is back together, and everything is shifting properly through the gears. I fixed the loose wiring that was causing the blinker outage and thanks to help from a bunch of you, got it to start again. Turns out it was a wiring issue apparently.

My plates and tags will be here early next week, so until then I’ll be contenting myself with puttering up and down the street in front of my house. I may look like an idiot rolling up and down the block at 20 mph and smiling my face off, but after almost three years on this project, I’ll take it!

Comment

Working...
                  X