Steel hose in oil cap, thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
    So, one of these clutch cover mounted crankcase breathers is now on its way. Now need to source and mount an oil catch can....or maybe just put a filter on the end of the braided hose. We'll see.
    Might get one as well, since I'm riding high speed highways most of the time it probably wouldn't hurt. Also curious what to do with the other end of the hose, if it's possible to connect it to top end breather or just bolt it up.
    1980 GS1100E

Comment

Anyone ever started up with the filler cap off?
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
        Anyone ever started up with the filler cap off?
        I've looked down and discovered I'd forgotten to put it back on and my right leg is waterproofed.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
          I've looked down and discovered I'd forgotten to put it back on and my right leg is waterproofed.
          A kind of poor man's dry sump design?
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
            A kind of poor man's dry sump design?
            It sprays out but not a deluge. Just enough to be a nuisance, and of course a danger to engine longevity if it goes on long enough.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              It sprays out but not a deluge. Just enough to be a nuisance, and of course a danger to engine longevity if it goes on long enough.
              a little louder too.
              1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
              1983 GS 1100 G
              2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
              2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
              1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                Thinking about this, how do you measure to a figure like negative 3br? I understood that once a vacuum is achieved that's it there would be nothing left to measure and that would be zero.
                I imagine that the rings suffer because the vacuum lowers the boiling temperature point so that the efficiency of the oil is changed massively, rings rely on mist to lubricate and a vacuum would surely affect that especially in a hot engine?
                Just asking, not challenging.
                The ring flutter is interesting
                I have installed several Wiseco kits and they recommend different end gaps for the 1st top ring and the 2nd ring they say is causes less ring flutter....004 per inch of bore top .005 per inch of bore 2nd ring I have seen race motors that were the pistons were ported causing almost total seal but excessive ring wear.The compression forced the rings against the cylinder walls through the small ports (holes)..All the vacuum pumps I have seen were on mainly Pro Stockers, Pro Mods.. I have mainly seen your set up with the oil cap breathing also but only in like funny bike.Some Pro Mod.But no advantage on a stock bore motor..Sounds like the motor had excessive blow by and this might have been a temp. fix..Never know ...
                Last edited by gs11ezrydr; 09-06-2020, 11:28 PM.
                sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                  I've been advised that the big bore kit (1100 cc high compression Wiseco pistons) may be causing the gaskets on my GS1000 engine to not seal correctly due to higher than stock crankcase pressures. I've been blowing gaskets & seals left and right since getting the bike back on the road after a number of years in storage, leading to oil leaks. The stock breather may be inadequate for this application.

So, one of these clutch cover mounted crankcase breathers is now on its way. Now need to source and mount an oil catch can....or maybe just put a filter on the end of the braided hose. We'll see.

I went as far as replacing pistons and rings on a 1000 that kept pushing out the rubber cam plugs and valve cover gaskets..Still did it...I finally attached a K&N filter to the breather hose off the valve cover.Improved it dramatically.
                  sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Originally posted by gs11ezrydr View Post
                    ... I have seen race motors that were the pistons were ported causing almost total seal but excessive ring wear.The compression forced the rings against the cylinder walls through the small ports (holes)..All the vacuum pumps I have seen were on mainly Pro Stockers, Pro Mods.. I have mainly seen your set up with the oil cap breathing also but only in like funny bike.Some Pro Mod.But no advantage on a stock bore motor..Sounds like the motor had excessive blow by and this might have been a temp. fix..Never know ...
                    You are describing "gas ported pistons", found on many modern motors.
                    Total Seal now make "ported rings"
                    Blow-by reduces engine efficiency and motor oil life, so what can you do to reduce blow-by? The guys at Shaver Specialty Racing Engines conducted detailed te...

Comment

Working...
                    X