Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Honda CB bars fit directly on my 1100GL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would Honda CB bars fit directly on my 1100GL?

I'm thinking that the UJM thing would kick in and that the bars would be the same diameter and the same distance between the clamps on the forks. Would they work? I would like to de-L some of my 1100GL.
    1982 GS1100GL: hand built stainless 4-1 exhaust, pods, jetting.

Don't see why not. I have Honda ST1100 bars on my 850. Exact same clamp spacings, and the pullback / rise is nearly perfect for me. If you have the standard L cowhorn bars nearly anything would be an improvement.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
      If you have the standard L cowhorn bars nearly anything would be an improvement.
      I do, and...agreed. I don't like the look at all, and I like the feel even less--particularly when doing tight parking lot maneuvers when I have to tuck one grip into an armpit to complete the turn.
      1982 GS1100GL: hand built stainless 4-1 exhaust, pods, jetting.

Comment

As you say, UJM rules.

On my wife's 850L, the bike came to us with some really low bars, but she is short and needed some more L-ish bars. Can't stand the bend of the GS L bars, so I looked elsewhere. What I ended up with was a set of bars from a KZ1300B1. At a quick glance, it looks a bit like an 1100GK, so the taller bars are great for touring.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

7/8" and 1" are standard sizes. You'd Better check the diameter of the Honda ones though old mid-size bikes are likely fine if they are simple bent pipe...I have multiple bars from Hondas around that do fit my Suzukis' 7/8 requirement.
          I wouldn't be suprised if Old chromed-steel bicycle handlebars fit....

Comment

I have GL1100 Goldwing replica bars on my 850L. I love them.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
            1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Charmayne has Honda bars on her 550L
              sigpic
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                I have GL1100 Goldwing replica bars on my 850L. I love them.
                To me the stock gl1100 bars on my bike are too close to the same as an L for my tastes. I'm going to swap them out soon (as in the next couple of weeks) for something closer to what my 450T where like.
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                  To me the stock gl1100 bars on my bike are too close to the same as an L for my tastes.
                  True, they have about the same rise, but the angle of the hand grips is WAY better.

I'm not sure about the rise on the GL1100 bars, but the GL1500 that I have is rather tall. Strangely, the bars aren't very high, but that's because the steering stem is so low. It simply needs taller bars to bring them up to a normal height. Check that on your 1100 before you order new bars.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    True, they have about the same rise, but the angle of the hand grips is WAY better.

This is true. The angle of the grips is quite different. I did try some bars from a Yamaha XS650 special, but they were very similar to the L bars.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Working...
                    X