Show me your de-Led GLs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Longitudinal View Post
    What I have seen is stainless steel lines with JIC type connectors. Is that what I do and buy banjo adapters to make them fit?
    Yes, go look at the Earls thread
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      Yes, go look at the Earls thread
      I see the make your own lines thread. Z1 has pre-made lines with JIC terminations, which would require adapters. I'd rather buy something direct fit or make my own from scratch.
      1982 GS1100GL: hand built stainless 4-1 exhaust, pods, jetting.

Comment

Also not a G- but here's my 1981 GS450L

- Hooped the rear
        - Slightly taller Hagon shocks (not pictured)
        - Custom seat I made
        - Vintage supertrap 2 into 1
        - Rear 18" wheel from a GS450S
        - CB350 handlebars with internally routed wiring
        - CB350 blinkers for the rear and some rando ebay ones up front
        - Aftermarket headlight clamps
        - I cut and reworked the fender so it sits a little more further forward/up

1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
        1977 GS550
        1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

rkroby did a nice job on his. It looks like a standard bike. If you look him up or scroll thru the "picture of the week" thread you can find pictures.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
            Also not a G- but here's my 1981 GS450L
            You've covered a few ideas I am considering. The hooped rear end and flattened seat are definitely among the ideas I am tossing around. I may not be able to shorten the length of the original seat, as I want to be able to include my wife, but I certainly can make it look better than the OE king and queen seat. I am also considering clipping the fenders as you have done or buying aftermarket steel fenders and modifying them to suit. I think integrating the tail lamp with the hoop and using that as an opportunity to do something to prodive a little security for my wife without adding a sissy bar would be good.

Comment

Is the rake angle actually different between the G and GL?
              Both same at 27deg iirc.
              That bike in the picture has G forks and yokes. If you simply fit G forks to your L yokes, you screw up the trail figure, and bash the fuel tank if you want to fit the GS 850 tank.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                Both same at 27deg iirc.
                That bike in the picture has G forks and yokes. If you simply fit G forks to your L yokes, you screw up the trail figure, and bash the fuel tank if you want to fit the GS 850 tank.
                So the L yokes will foul on the G tank irrespective of fork choice, yes?

Trail figure is a new term to me, but it appears to refer to the offset between the front axle line and the center line of the fork pivot point (on bicycles, called the headset.) Is this correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Emjay View Post
                  #3 I'm pretty sure the engines are the same.
                  The engine itself is the same, but there is a slightly different gear in the transmission to compensate for the 16" (vs. 17") rear wheel.

Is the rake angle actually different between the G and GL?
                  No, the rake angle is the same. Not sure exactly what the angle is, but there is no difference between the G and the GL.

So the L yokes will foul on the G tank irrespective of fork choice, yes?
                  YES. The angle from the center of a G fork tube to the steering stem and back to the other fork tube is sharper than the same angle through a GL yoke.
                  To acheive the desired effect (longer-looking "chopper-esque" forks), Suzuki left the front wheel pretty much exactly in the same place, but moved the fork tubes back by flattening the angle on the yokes. This allowed the fork tubes to be behind the axle, so they could be made a few inches longer, giving the impression of a "chopper" that was popular at the time. Because the fork tubes were brought back about an inch, they would hit the tank at full lock. Suzuki "fixed" that by installing a smaller, peanut-shaped tank (also popular at the time) and moving it back a couple of inches on the frame.

Trail figure is a new term to me, but it appears to refer to the offset between the front axle line and the center line of the fork pivot point (on bicycles, called the headset.) Is this correct?
                  I can't verify the bicycle terminology, but I think you have the concept.
                  "Trail" is the distance from where the center of the steering stem (not the fork tubes) hits the ground to the point directly under the axle. Because the tire is behind the apparent pivot point, it imparts some stability by wanting to pull the tire straight. The greater the distance, the more 'pull' there is, but there is also more effort required to initiate a turn. On the other hand, shortening the trail will make it easier to turn, but you might lose some stability in the process. A happy figure for most street riding is around 4 inches.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My 1983 GS850G L -- Modified for me

Here's my GS850 L -- but made into a very ride-able bike thanks to some mods

Like a customer seat on an L seat pan

And many other creature comforts

Better Picture added --

Attached Files
                    Last edited by Wingsconsin; 09-10-2020, 12:43 PM. Reason: Add picture
                    Currently in the Stable :
                    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

I recently posted this in the seat de-hump thread. I am 6'3" and the L configuration just had me too cramped. And I also didn't care for the look of the L. Besides comfort I wanted it to look like a stock bike to people who don't visit this great site.
                      1982 GS 550 L

Comment

That is one of the most successful de-L-ings I have ever seen.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Where did you get that seat? It looks like it uses the original seat pan but with a very professional looking cover replacement.

Originally posted by rkroby View Post
                          I recently posted this in the seat de-hump thread. I am 6'3" and the L configuration just had me too cramped. And I also didn't care for the look of the L. Besides comfort I wanted it to look like a stock bike to people who don't visit this great site.
                          1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                          1977 GS550
                          1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

It is the original seat pan. I took the old cover off and sanded/shaved the rear hump down. Than I added foam to the front to match the rear to the contour I wanted. I then shipped it to Sargent where they cut off the top inch or more and bonded their super cell foam. I picked a new seat cover they offered that resembled a 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900 seat which I always liked and they installed that. It wasn't cheap but I got the bike for free and I just wanted the seat to look like it came from the factory that way.
                            1982 GS 550 L

Comment

very very nice job. Congrats. Feels like I've said this before, Nicest looking "L" I've ever seen.
                              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I think The GS550E tank can be made to fit the GL model with a bit of fabrication. Pianomandan or something similar had that mod done to his 850 from memory. You could always put some clearance into a G tank by pushing the corners in... and possibly put some bolts into threaded holes in the steerer stops to retard the lock to lock a bit... that look would also suit the planned Hooped rear end. 17" rear wheel and new shocks is easy.

New bars are easy & cheap. The bikemaster ones work. Daytona or Euro bend are good choices.

L forks on an L frame measure out the same as a G fork on a G frame as far as trail etc from memory....
                                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                                X