Show me your de-Led GLs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show me your de-Led GLs!

I could use some inspiration for my 1982 GS1100GL. It's a great bike, but the L appearance is starting to make me nauseous.

Here are my options as I see them:

1) Replace bars, reshape seat to more of a standard style;

2) Replace all GL components with G components (tank, seat, forks, covers, bars, and whatever else goes with them);

3) Find non-running G (850 or 1100) and swap engine;

4) Fabricate my way out of this. I am a welder and fabricator, so I could build an aluminum fuel tank and side covers to suit, and probably make an integrated rear fender/cowl/tail lamp setup.

What have you all done to de-L your L?
    Last edited by Longitudinal; 08-27-2020, 02:23 PM.
    1982 GS1100GL: hand built stainless 4-1 exhaust, pods, jetting.

Option 4 also would allow me to find a different sender that actually works so I have a functioning fuel gauge.

Comment

Way too much to do to de-L the "L". Get rid of it & find a reasonable "G" or "E" model. You'll come out way ahead with a way nicer ride. If you are wanting a "Boober" (sorry, bobber), a "Cafe", or custom, that may be a different discussion.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        Way too much to do to de-L the "L". Get rid of it & find a reasonable "G" or "E" model. You'll come out way ahead with a way nicer ride. If you are wanting a "Boober" (sorry, bobber), a "Cafe", or custom, that may be a different discussion.
        The reason I don't present that as an option is that I got sucked deep into repairing this bike and making it roadworthy. Selling and starting over isn't an option. The closest I can get to that is option 3.

I have a strong distaste for bobbers and customs in general. But I am not opposed to building something to fit my own taste with race/aerospace inspiration.
        Last edited by Longitudinal; 08-27-2020, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Totally your decision, & just my opinion. Option 3, Nice GS's needing engines are rare, especially the ones, like yours, with the roller bearing crankshafts. NO, Don't look for a non-running "GL", if you found one, you'd be right back where you started, needing to de-"L" it. Look for a "G" model, but they are gonna' be about as scarce as hen's teeth. It happens really often, folks get in a little too deep before they realize it, then they keep digging. Usually the more they dig, the deeper they get. Good luck.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
            Totally your decision, & just my opinion. Option 3, Nice GS's needing engines are rare, especially the ones, like yours, with the roller bearing crankshafts. NO, Don't look for a non-running "GL", if you found one, you'd be right back where you started, needing to de-"L" it. Look for a "G" model, but they are gonna' be about as scarce as hen's teeth. It happens really often, folks get in a little too deep before they realize it, then they keep digging. Usually the more they dig, the deeper they get. Good luck.
            "GL" was a slip on the keyboard in that scenario.

I did say "non running," not "needing an engine." One sitting long neglected in a garage and no longer able to start due to a dead battery and gunked carburetors is what I would have in mind.
            Last edited by Longitudinal; 08-27-2020, 02:23 PM.

Comment

69CA2614-B79B-4254-87CA-CE5B4D27B0CC.jpg
              It’s not a G, but it’s an L.....a a V&H 4-1, headlight clamps from an ‘82 1100e, Daytona bars, E lights....
              Certainly isn’t going to win any shows.... but better than stock.
              -1980 GS1100 LT
              -1975 Honda cb750K
              -1972 Honda cl175
              - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
                It’s not a G, but it’s an L.....a a V&H 4-1, headlight clamps from an ‘82 1100e, Daytona bars, E lights....
                Certainly isn’t going to win any shows.... but better than stock.
                The bars alone make a difference. I have a set of similar bars on the way with a standard style brake MC. Did you change MCs as well?

A few slow days at work have me coming up with fabrication ideas for the winter.

Comment

Same MC, you’ll have to shorten or re-route your brake line, though.
                  If you do replace, its as good a time as any to install stainless steel lines.
                  -1980 GS1100 LT
                  -1975 Honda cb750K
                  -1972 Honda cl175
                  - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
                    Same MC, you’ll have to shorten or re-route your brake line, though.
                    If you do replace, its as good a time as any to install stainless steel lines.
                    Who sells a SS braided front line?

Comment

Pretty much anyone - check out Z1 Enterprises or even look through the forum for the Earls post on making your own.
                      sigpic
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                        Pretty much anyone - check out Z1 Enterprises or even look through the forum for the Earls post on making your own.
                        What I have seen is stainless steel lines with JIC type connectors. Is that what I do and buy banjo adapters to make them fit?

Comment

Originally posted by Longitudinal View Post
                          I could use some inspiration for my 1982 GS1100GL. It's a great bike, but the L appearance is starting to make me nauseous.

Here are my options as I see them:

1) Replace bars, reshape seat to more of a standard style;

2) Replace all GL components with G components (tank, seat, forks, covers, bars, and whatever else goes with them);

3) Find non-running G (850 or 1100) and swap engine;

4) Fabricate my way out of this. I am a welder and fabricator, so I could build an aluminum fuel tank and side covers to suit, and probably make an integrated rear fender/cowl/tail lamp setup.

What have you all done to de-L your L?

#1 The bars are simple - I've done it.

#2 I think the tank and seat will only fit with refab, i.e. mounting points, etc.

#3 I'm pretty sure the engines are the same.

#4 have at it.

Bear in mind to me what makes the biggest difference is the frame - rake, seat height, etc.

Comment

I think member Gustovh has a sharp looking '82 1100 L. Can't seem to locate a pic of it though.

Here's a thread with a buddy's L wearing a few G parts.

Roger

Current rides
                            1983 GS 850G
                            2003 FJR 1300A
                            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Emjay View Post
                              Bear in mind to me what makes the biggest difference is the frame - rake, seat height, etc.
                              Is the rake angle actually different between the G and GL?

On (3,) the point was not the difference in the engine dimensionally or in their specs, but in maintenance history/running status (I have done everything on my engine that has any right to fail,) or size (swap 1100 engine into much easier to find 850.)

Reshaping the frame around the seat pan is easily done. I can also remove the dip under the rider's hinter parts, then either fit G side covers (hard to find not already attached to a motorcycle) or make my own.

The more I think it through, the more the options are narrowed to either punting it and buying a G or (4,) fab my way out of it.

The reason I don't want to sell the bike is that I don't want to give away all of the maintenance I have done to it. It has a freshly serviced head, HG, base gasket, engine cover gaskets, completely new clutch assembly, worked carbs, and a number of little things. I also built an exhaust for it. So I kinda want to stick with what I have if I can make it more visually appealing for me.
                              Last edited by Longitudinal; 08-31-2020, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X