Show me your de-Led GLs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
    I think The GS550E tank can be made to fit the GL model with a bit of fabrication. Pianomandan or something similar had that mod done to his 850 from memory. You could always put some clearance into a G tank by pushing the corners in... and possibly put some bolts into threaded holes in the steerer stops to retard the lock to lock a bit... that look would also suit the planned Hooped rear end. 17" rear wheel and new shocks is easy.

New bars are easy & cheap. The bikemaster ones work. Daytona or Euro bend are good choices.

L forks on an L frame measure out the same as a G fork on a G frame as far as trail etc from memory....
    All good input. Thank you.

I am planning to install an 850G tank this winter once enjoyable riding weather (i.e. 50+ degrees) becomes sufficiently rare. I like the style much better than that of my L tank, but I'm going to appreciate the extra gallon of fuel capacity even more.

The above 550L looks great with the modified seat, and I would be happy with that as well, but I think I like the idea of making a flat pan that levels off that little dip in the L seat. We will see how lazy or how motivated I feel when the time comes, or how much the L seat is worth to sell. I do like how that 550 seat retains the key access to the battery--something that I would not bother to preserve if I were to build my own.
    1982 GS1100GL: hand built stainless 4-1 exhaust, pods, jetting.

Comment

I think that this the bike to which you refer, it is a 80 850L. It does sport a 750 tank, Corbin Sportster seat and left rear turn signal from a Motoguzi. Had to add a spacer at the rear tank mount and use a longer bolt. cut the front seat mounts off and mounted the seat old school with a bolt through the rear fender. Add K&N pods, jet properly with 4/1 Delvick {sp}. Side panels are fabed out of aircraft aluminum and are formed to just pop on. Keeps up with the big boys just fine.

V

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
      I think member Gustovh has a sharp looking '82 1100 L. Can't seem to locate a pic of it though.

Here's a thread with a buddy's L wearing a few G parts.

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...y-L&highlight=
      Last edited by gustovh; 09-13-2020, 06:03 PM.
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Working...