What to do next? Electrical short.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do next? Electrical short.

I went to start 1979 850 g and motor was cranking over , I turned headlight on smoke started escaping from my battery ground wire. The plastic melted. Electrical problems are my weak link. Any suggestions what to do next aside from taking it to a mechanic?
    Thanks
    joepenoso

2X 1979 GS Suzuki G

By battery ground are we talking about the big black wire from the crankcase to the battery negative?
    First thought is that the supply to the starter motor is shorting to the case or frame because the insulation has worn or The connection post on the starter itself is touching the
    starter cover.
    Get the battery off the bike and inspect the supply to the starter.
    If we are talking about one of the smaller black and white ground wires you could have a short somewhere in the harness to the frame. Usual suspects are near the steering stem. Check that the ign supply and return wires, red and orange, are okay over their full length to the ign switch and back. Did any fuse blow?
    Any chance of a picture.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

First, let's separate the events.

1. You were cranking the engine and turned on the lights. Did you move the headlight switch WHILE you were still pushing on the starter button or had the engine already fired up?

2. Smoke appeared from the battery ground wire. Which one? There are usually three. The largest one goes to the back of the crankcase and grounds the starter. The other two are much smaller and handle the other electrical stuff on the bike.

If the engine was already running when you moved the headlight switch, the starter is not the problem. The problem will be in the headlight circuit.

If you moved the headlight switch while still pressing on the starter button, you have some wonderfully flexible fingers. In stock condition, you would have to simultaneously pull the "choke" control, pull the clutch lever, push the starter button, move the headlight switch. One other question in this scenario: why increase the load on the battery WHILE starting the engine?

Hopefully it was one of the smaller ground wires that melted. You should also find a wire of another color (ground is black with a white stripe) that shows signs of heat damage.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Which ground wire....?

If one of the thin ones, I would suspect the connection on the thick one on back of engine. If that is bad, then some of the starter motor current (the highest current draw by far) would/could be going down on of the thin wires, and then that thin wire is almost like the heater wires in a toaster.
        (I assume by "cranking" you mean running the starter motor.)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

A couple simple photos would go a long way towards solving this....
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Found it ! Thanks for your help.
            joepenoso

2X 1979 GS Suzuki G

Comment

care to share?
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by joe penoso View Post
                OK, what was it?

Whose suggestion helped?

Not closing a help thread by posting the results might get your privileges revoked.
                sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by joe penoso View Post
                  joepenoso
                  ? ?

? ?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Smoke leak repair
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous

Comment

PREVIOUS DECEASED OWNER TRIED REWIRING TAIL LIGHTS, TURN SIGNAL AND BRAKE LIGHTS TO WORK WITH VETTER BAGS. THERE WAS A COUPLE OF SHORTS AND and to put wiring tape over ground wire leading to battery. You guys are the best. I need to start a new thread to check turn signal relay options.
                      Thanks
                      joepenoso

2X 1979 GS Suzuki G

Comment

Couple rear brake light were touching, a few other small things;
                        Thanks
                        joepenoso

2X 1979 GS Suzuki G

Comment

Previous owners ingenuity knows no limits.
                          97 R1100R
                          Previous

Comment

Was he lynched for writing in bold caps in red on a forum

Glad you found it, doesn't sound like it was too painful a process!
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                              Was he lynched for writing in bold caps in red on a forum

Glad you found it, doesn't sound like it was too painful a process!
                              Well, you know what happens after you spot the first fish in the river. Just saying
                              97 R1100R
                              Previous

Comment

Working...
                              X