No announcement yet.

Labor day ride with my son.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Saturday morning I hiked back up to the bikes to check on them and grab more water. Here's a sunrise shot of where we parked.

After hiking back down and grabbing a bite for breakfast, we got the poles out and caught a couple of smallmouth bass and northern pike. Fishing became pointless because of boat traffic and kids swimming with their dogs near that spot, so we reeled in the lines and went back to camp. As more ATV and watercraft operators came to life the lake and shoreline were buzzing with activity. It wasn't long before we got the map out to look down the road.

Loading up the tents and cleaning up the camp site didn't take long, but the hike back up the hill was another story. By now it was after noon and getting pretty hot out there so hiking up the rocky path was exhausting. He had his backpack, but I was carrying the expanded tank bag in one hand and a saddle bag liner in the other. To our delight, one of the side by sides came crawling up the hill and offered a ride to the top. This happened to be the owner of the dog that swam by us earlier ending the fishing in that spot. We gladly accepted his offer and it turned a dreaded hot hike into a quick (but bumpy) ride!

Still waffling about heading up to Durango, Colorado or going to another lake, we decided to head to nearby Dulce, NM and eat. Here are a couple of shots from Dulce.

Not much to this town. In fact, it seemed like something from a Steven King story. Maybe a virus wiped out the population and we were the only living souls in the place. Oh wait, that probably actually happened...

After gas and lunch, I grabbed a quick photo for the weely pic game and we headed toward Chama. We both agreed that riding was way more fun than camping, fishing, hiking or watching jet skis fly by on the lake.

Passing through Chama it was actually quite chilly. The scenery is gorgeuos along hwy 64 and hwy 85 in that area. We thoruoghly enjoyed riding through there. Our plan was to head to a privately owned campground near El Vado lake and spend the night. Saturday we'd fish the lake and nearby Chama river for rainbow trout. Well, another gravel road, this worse than the last. Getting to the campground was tricky, but we did it ok. Unfortunately the place was full, crowded in fact. Ugh! Back on the bikes to find a spot before dark.

As we rode in the dwindling sunlight we stopped in Tierra Amarilla to look at the map and agreed that heading home sounded like the best option. Albuquerque was about 2.5 hours away so we headed toward home. Still, really enjoying the ride and the fact that we can share the experience together.

HWY 85 follows along the Chama River (Rio Chama). Here's a shot of one of our stops along that road.

The light faded pretty quickly on us and the last stretch was in the dark. He followed me since the FJR has such a good headlight compared to the flashlight on the GS. Night riding didn't make him uncomfortable at all. We pulled into the garage a little after 10pm and were glad to be home.

Here's the route we took.

Labor Day ride 2020 by Roger, on Flickr

We won't soon forget this one.
    Last edited by Burque73; 09-07-2020, 03:32 PM.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Roger,

this reminds me of a 240 mile ride with MrBill near his home in Las Cruces in May 2014 (Gila Forest). Area pictures you provided are very similar to the southern region of New Mexico.

Thanks for the update.

Ed

Last edited by GSXR7ED; 09-07-2020, 02:27 PM.
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post

Very nice, and sure makes me miss NM.

Been all through those roads at one time or another, and have taken a lot of pics from that exact overlook.

Glad you and your son got to do that, sounds like a great time.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Sounds like a very fun and eventful weekend.
          sigpic
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Glad you had a good trip and some time with your son. Double win! Nice pics as usual.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
            X