Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help with Handle bars, mounting, throttle & possible control update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help with Handle bars, mounting, throttle & possible control update.

When I bought my bike it has clip on bars that attach to the forks, I want to revert back to handle bars that mount to the top of the tree in picture 1 you can see what I guess I'm supposed to have on my bike however I do not where those risers are I just have empty holes. If I pull up the diagram to get part numbers all I see is what's in the picture. I believe I need somrisers I have found some on eBay I will include picture in following post for some reason it is only letting me upload one pic per post. Basically I want to upgrade my handle bars, throttle tube/grips. And if Anyone has a suggestion update the controls brake/clutch/switches but I'm primarily at this point just looking for solution to mounting a 7/8" handle bar to the triple.
    Attached Files
    1983 GS650GL Not running when I bought it. runs great now
    Engine- Carb Cleaned, Valve Adj, Ignition Mod, balanced carbs, Polished/Painted engine, Exhaust wrapped
    Frame & Wheels painted, rebuild brakes/masters, Fixed Tach/Spedo, Sonic Springs in the Front, New handle bars w/bar end mirror/turn signals
    Still To-Do?
    Fuel sending unit, Fuel tank paint job?, LED headlight?, Seat falling apart, Solutions?, Changing look of the rear of bike, Seat, Brake/turn-signals

This is what I believe I need to mount the handle bars into the Tree, the one pictured is the wrong size but I would be looking for these just in 7/8"
    As always I appreciate all the help you guys have given, and look forward to solving this weeks current issue.
    Risers?.jpg
    Engine- Carb Cleaned, Valve Adj, Ignition Mod, balanced carbs, Polished/Painted engine, Exhaust wrapped
    Frame & Wheels painted, rebuild brakes/masters, Fixed Tach/Spedo, Sonic Springs in the Front, New handle bars w/bar end mirror/turn signals
    Still To-Do?
    Fuel sending unit, Fuel tank paint job?, LED headlight?, Seat falling apart, Solutions?, Changing look of the rear of bike, Seat, Brake/turn-signals

Comment

Be wary of simply bolting on risers, as the top yoke casting may be hollow and have no real strength where the holes are.
      If it is a hollow casting I'd simply acquire a replacement top yoke from the breaker.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Well it turns out, I apparently own a 1983 gs650gl, and on that year the handle bar mounts are definitely not molded into the upper as they were in the 82. It's all making a little more sense now Choke control didn't fit the upper tree looked different, did a VIN id and yeah the bike is an 83. Still interested in looking into new handle bars, I just need the mounts which are unfortunately looking to be a little pricy when buying OEM individual pieces, have yet to find all the pieces in one kit aside from the China special which at this point I'm somewhat leaning to.
        Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 7.18.24 PM.jpg
        Still To-Do?

Comment

Working...
        X