GS450 Only Starts with ether

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 Only Starts with ether

Hello, sorry to play out the classic forum trope, but I am new to this site and i have a very specific problem. I have been working to make an 82 GS450T I got for free road worthy. After cleaning the carbs and I attempted to get the bike started. Here's the problem,

The bike will only turn over with starting fluid. The petcock is somewhat leaky, and I plan to put some gasket maker on it to seal it tomorrow. The carbs are getting gas (i checked the drains at the bottom) and the vacuum lines appear to be in good order, no visible cracks. It has the mikuni BS 34 SS Carbs with 22.5 idle jet and 130 main jet. This is to accommodate the pod filters and drag pipes that it has (someone on reddit had a similar setup and claimed to have success with this jetting). Im guessing that it could have something to do with vacuum although I don't know what, because like i said the lines appear to be in working order. Once i started it with fluid with my thumb over the line that would have led to the petcock and felt light pressure every time one of the cylinders fired. Its my first time rebuilding carbs so there is a real chance i messed something up. For instance, I realized that i didn't connect the vacuum lines between carbs, had the mixture screws way too far out, idle adjust screw too haven't synced or balanced them either (I only realized one had to do that after troubleshooting earlier today).

I am stumped. Happy to post pictures of the bike/ manual that ya'll think would be relevant. If you have any knowledge on carb adjustments/ setup after a rebuild or know any threads that would be helpful I would love some assistance.

Also, unrelated, I was looking for a PDF of the manual for my bike and found Basecliffs website (I Think) but it was archived and i couldn't get anything to download. So I tracked down a GS450 Manual and made a PDF copy of it. If ya'll know a thread that these things go in I'd love to post it because Im sure someone could use it as much as I have. Thanks for reading! Much appreciated!

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I'm a bit in a hurry right now, so I can't help with the issue at hand right now.

As for basscliff's website; you'll find the correct link in my signature, as well as a link to our "Top 10 Newbie Mistakes" Thread which will compiles the most important information about GS bikes.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Before you even bother trying to start it, check and adjust the valve clearances as a first thing.
      A lot of these bikes get laid up because they get harder and harder to start and that's often the cause.
      You're batting against some lazy and tightwad PO.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

First of all, Welcome.

Next, do your bike a favor and THROW AWAY THE ETHER.

I know you said you cleaned the carbs, but I'll bet they need to be cleaned PROPERLY.

Adjust the valves.

When all that is done, you should be able to set the "choke", turn the key ON, pull the clutch lever, then just give the starter button a stern look and the bike will be running.

How exactly did you "clean the carbs"?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X