1982 GS1100GL Fuel Economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS1100GL Fuel Economy

I have searched fuel economy at GSR, and I know that the subject has been discussed several times. But I am curious as to where I stand, so I'm going to start a discussion.

I finally got to put some miles on my 1982 GS1100GL and was able to get some realistic MPG data. Previous tanks had had tuning sessions, super short rides, extended idling, partial tanks, etc., so could not be used to gauge fuel economy.

Facts:

1982 GS1100GL
    I hit reserve around 90 miles the one time I allowed myself to hit it (scary first time experience because I just thought my unproven bike had taken a turn for the worse.)
    32-35 MPG on almost pure freeway riding with passenger at speeds ranging from 55 to 70.
    87 octane fuel.
    15W40 Rotella T4.
    DJ Stage 3 jetting WITHOUT the air corrector inserts and WITH the larger jets recommended for straight through exhaust and pods.
    1983 cylinder head with D exhaust ports.

Steve says "low side of average," and I always believe Steve. But I would like to see numbers from other owners, particularly 1100G owners. My only other GS ownership experience was a 1978 750, which typically got about 35-40 MPG in mixed riding. But I had pods on it and didn't know that pods require rejetting (forgive me. I'm a long time fuel injection guy,) so it didn't run quite right and I didn't know why.
    1982 GS1100GL: hand built stainless 4-1 exhaust, pods, jetting.

On my 1981 GS1000G I get between 42 mpg and 55 averaging about 44. But I got tired of tracking fuel consumption so I don't have data for the whole season, but these numbers are for 5729 kilometers I tracked with the app Fillup.

My average speed is around 40 mph (low speed limits and challenging roads in Norway). 62 mph is the highest speed I regularly ride.

I use 10-40 Yamalube Mineral (mostly, with some additions of 20-50 mineral oil or 10-40 synthetic motorcycle oil). For a bit I used 15-50 semi synthetic motorcycle oil from some generic brand, it was crap because the clutch didn't work when it was bellow zero during the night.

I probably had intake leaks, carbs are full of rust, but stock carb and air filter.

I use mostly 95 octane (europe octane is different) but sometimes 98.

Not sure if this is usefull for you, my bike is slightly different I guess.
    GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
      Not sure if this is usefull for you, my bike is slightly different I guess.
      Different, but comparable. The number of 1100Gs seems to be fairly small, so anything comparable is helpful.

In the USA, you probably know that we have lots of open road, so our speeds here are bound to be higher.
      Last edited by Longitudinal; 09-01-2020, 12:26 PM.

Comment

My 82 1100L constantly ran in the mid 40's for mph bone stock. If I ran non ethanol, I got high 40's.
        1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
        2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
        2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

35 MPG on the last tank. I am curious to do an extended ride at 40MPH or so to see what my MPG is on the pilot circuits.

Comment

Working...
          X