New OEM/Rubber rear brake line seller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New OEM/Rubber rear brake line seller?

I am interested in replacing my old rear brake line (appears original). GS650G(L) 1981.

I use the rear brake in exactly 2 situations: Emergency stop and Not rolling back on a hill. That's it. I literally *almost ever* use it. I am only paying it attention because the rear caliper was getting sticky.

In other words, I don't want to spend money on a stainless brake line - but not many places seem to sell OEM type lines. Is there even still an option for a relatively cheap rubber line?

I was going to suggest visiting the usual online vendors, but I see that hose is no longer available.

It would not surprise me if the rear hose from another bike would work. It might not have all the padding in exactly the right places, but I'm sure that something would work. What is the length of your current hose? I can compare that to an 850 hose to see how different they might be.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It makes little sense to buy a rubber line unless you are doing a concourse restoration. A stainless line will be cheaper unless you can find a dirt cheap place local to you to make them.
      And if your brake is sticky the caliper/master should be broken down and cleaned out.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I saw 3 used Rear lines for your bike on eBay For about $17. Probably no better than what you got. I know from buying a front ss line, swivel fittings and banjos from Venhill you’d be in about $50. Rear is a short line so maybe a little less.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Fix the caliper & move on. Just my opinion.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              Fix the caliper & move on. Just my opinion.
              Yeah, I am just going to let it ride. It is really just a parking/hill brake and only good for about 10% of my braking power.

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamGLX81 View Post
                I use the rear brake in exactly 2 situations: Emergency stop and Not rolling back on a hill. That's it. I literally *almost ever* use it.
                I'm guessing (hoping) you don't ride in the rain.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                  I'm guessing (hoping) you don't ride in the rain.
                  I've ridden in a lot of rain doing that. If I really want gradual braking fron the rear, I'll downshift.

My first year riding, my area got like 20 inches of rain

Comment

If this is NOT the one you need -- call them and talk through the correct length and fittings -
                    I did my 850GL last year and am very happy --
                    A rear line is $49 I think...
                    Currently in the Stable :
                    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

"I use the rear brake in exactly 2 situations: Emergency stop and Not rolling back on a hill. That's it. I literally *almost ever* use it, it's only 10%..." Ooooookay, just gonna turn around and walk away.
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                        "I use the rear brake in exactly 2 situations: Emergency stop and Not rolling back on a hill. That's it. I literally *almost ever* use it, it's only 10%..." Ooooookay, just gonna turn around and walk away.
                        You mean..."almost never?"

When I took the MSF course, we had to do the "Emergency Stop" (ES) and control the bike at low speed. If you fell off, it was an instant fail.

It's good to practice the ES...I would do it before I converted to a single braided front line. My brakes weren't as effective prior to and it made a considerable difference from the rubber brake line.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Here is also an option:

Your brakes and braking system is one of the most important parts on your motorcycle. These parts are something you want to do inspections on for worn down and damage parts before every ride, to keep you and your bike safe.

Clean out the whole system properly. If you split the rear caliper (which you should do, surprising amount of gunk in there usually) there is an O ring you have to replace.
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                          X