Shims for valve ajustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shims for valve ajustment

I have an 1983 gs850L .Can anyone tell me what shims are the most likely shims I may need when checking and adjusting the valve clearance. I would like to have an assortment on hand before taking it apart. Also where can I purchase these. Aside from z1. Thanks.

There is a "shim club" here where you might be able to get supply. What I would suggest is that you buy one of the thinner shims such as a 2.35 or something as a spare. You can then use it to calculate the shims you'll actually need by rotating that shim in and back out of any valves that are tight.

There is no "normal". The most likely range is 2.45-2.65 in my experience but I've also seen valves outside of that in both directions.

Other than Z1 you really only have dealer supply or Ebay. Every now & again a full dealer "shim kit" comes up but usually for $250+

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

First check your clearances and verify what’s you have in the bike THEN order them if necessary. Depending on what is needed you may be able to move a few around and reduce the cost. However, DO NOT TURN THE MOTOR WITHOUT A SHIM IN EVERY LOCATION.

The Shim Club thread is here under GS Parts and Services: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...alve-Shim-Club
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Given that the bike is going on 40 years old, it is impossible to predict even within a range of several sizes what shims you should need. Although a given bike will need progressively thinner shims as the valves mash up into the head with use, anything could have happened between 1983 and now. For example, if the head has been off for service, a machinist who does not have a stockpile of Suzuki shims will just grind the tips of the valve stems down until he reaches the correct lash.

On top of that, there is no telling the sizes of the shims that the bike left the factory with or how much the valves have mashed into the head.

Anything anybody could say would be a blind guess. You just have to measure your lash, pull the shims, do the arithmetic, and get the shims you need.
        1982 GS1100GL: hand built stainless 4-1 exhaust, pods, jetting.

Comment

Most of these bikes left the factory with shims in the 2.65 to 2.80 range. As the valves and seats wear, the clearance will go down, requiring thinner shims. The number of miles the engine has been run might give you an idea how many sizes down from original, but since you don't have any idea what "original" was, you simply need to open it up, measure your clearances, then remove each shim ONE AT A TIME, record its size, then order replacements as necessary.

AND, ... to help you keep track of what is in your engine and also give you an idea what shims you will need, feel free to take advantage of the offer in my signature.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by jon View Post
            I have an 1983 gs850L .Can anyone tell me what shims are the most likely shims I may need when checking and adjusting the valve clearance. I would like to have an assortment on hand before taking it apart. Also where can I purchase these. Aside from z1. Thanks.
            Another option (which I have used) is to see if a local shop will swap shims with you. Bring in what you won't be using, and swap for the sizes you need. Usually, you can move some shims around. Then you'll find you may only need 1 or 2. The times that I have swapped shims with the shop, they just blew the dust off their kit (they never have a need for it anymore) and made the swap at no charge. As stated, never rotate the motor without a shim in every bucket.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
            1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I called a big multi-line shop to ask if they stock the shims for 82 Suzuki, he said, "Yah, we got all kinds of them for all bikes".
              So I went in, guy at the counter says "oh, those old quarter sized ones, naw, we dont stock those."

Other thing to be aware of, if a shop does have a supply of the "quarter sized ones", be sure it is the old Suzuki ones not the old kawasaki ones, they are about half millimeter diameter different, but would look a lot alike.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Suzuki's are 29.5 MM. Another option is ....if you have access to a surface grinder they can be skimmed. They are fully hardened. BUT.....they must be ground with coolant flowing on them.

I have a bunch of thicker ones I was gonna send to Ray but he doesn't have a surface grinder. Would be nice to have someone grind me some "off" sizes like 263, 252,267,268.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Why go for the "off" sizes?

They are going to change, anyway, so stick with stock sizing.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Some times you drop one size and your past the prescribed .08 mm. So an off size will be optimal. Don't tell me you haven't had it happen .lol
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

OK, it's happened, but I'm not going to tell you about it.

That is one reason that many of us willingly go up to 0.10mm.

It also helps to have a few "X" shims in stock.

The only 'bad' thing about the "X" shims is that you can't order them, you have to find them.
                      I have bought shims on eBay only because they had a few "X" shims in the bunch.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Yamaha are also 29.0. Got one in a bag of shims from a closing down sale.
                        97 R1100R
                        Previous
                        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

yes......but zook shims are 29.5

Comment

Thanks. I'll see what they have

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Why go for the "off" sizes?

They are going to change, anyway, so stick with stock sizing.

I dont understand what that means. I was under the impression that I would need to change them as needed or when the gas closes.

Comment

Working...
                              X