Shims for valve ajustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
    First check your clearances and verify what’s you have in the bike THEN order them if necessary. Depending on what is needed you may be able to move a few around and reduce the cost. However, DO NOT TURN THE MOTOR WITHOUT A SHIM IN EVERY LOCATION.

The Shim Club thread is here under GS Parts and Services: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...alve-Shim-Club
    Well, I am that STUPID guy who did turn the motor with one shim out before I saw this. From what I can tell it scratched off a bit of the cam edge, and I *think I got out what little metal shaved off. Do I need to be concerned beyond that?

Sometimes learning is painful...
    1978 GS 750 E
    1979 XS11 Standard
    1973 CB450

Comment

I've never done that.
      Nope.
      Never.
      And even if it happened, I'd deny it.
      Honest.

Don't worry about the edge being slightly bothered, they'll run for many thousands and thousands of miles in that state, almost as if it didn't matter.
      Some say that a coin is an adequate substitute for a shim if you have to turn the engine over with a shim or two (or several ) out, while you figure out what ones you need to swap or get new. It's true.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
      X