No announcement yet.

Classic bite by gravel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad it was just the gear that got wrecked.

How are the aches and pains a day later?
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I'm sorry this happened to you Kerry, but I'm glad you are okay. It sounds like a sweet lady was there to help and calm the situation. But you must ask, couldn't she have or have someone sweep up the gravel in the intersection? Especially if this wasn't the first get off from a motorcycle. 🤔
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        Glad it was just the gear that got wrecked.

How are the aches and pains a day later?
        Oooh, it hurts. I discovered a new bruise or three. I'm taking ibuprofens.

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
        I'm sorry this happened to you Kerry, but I'm glad you are okay. It sounds like a sweet lady was there to help and calm the situation. But you must ask, couldn't she have or have someone sweep up the gravel in the intersection? Especially if this wasn't the first get off from a motorcycle. 樂
        I'll just say it's a country road, off a main drag, and the offending intersection (50 yards away from the main drag) is probably a good 1500 square feet or more. No small task for a private citizen to keep it clean. I will probably contact the county dept of highways.
        "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Hate it for you, but nearly all of us have been there. Really glad it wasn't worse. Kind'f normal to find more sore spots the second day. Looks like most parts will still be available. Dunn'o Case guards may be hard to find. Good luck
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

All the best motorcycle parts, gear & apparel is right here at Cycle Gear. Shop the way you want! Browse our digital catalog, order online or buy in-person.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

aww the good old crash bars. The Listerine of motorcycle accessories.

All fixable.
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

OUCH! Sorry to read this Kerry.

Heal up quick.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

It's like that old airplane axion - any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                    It's like that old airplane axion - any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.
                    Better than good.
                    Any landing the leaves the machine re-usable is excellent!
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Over the past few months I learned something about road gravel.
                      About a year ago the roads people came out and resurfaced the road running by my place, for a couple of miles each direction, up to the nearest intersections.
                      It was a beautiful job, the surface they left behind was like a GP track, absolutely flawless, the best road surface for literally miles around. Like having a pristine GP track of my own for a short distance, anyway.
                      A few months after that they re-appeared and dumped an inch of granite chippings on the beautiful surface. I was intensely pee'd off at that, as at one fell swoop they'd transformed this glorious surface from a trackday delight into the Road From Hell.
                      Anyway, time and traffic passed, and gradually the surface became more consolidated until it's now quite rideable with only a modicum of care, but I have to exercise normal observation and be aware of some sneaky hidden gravel patches on the edges and corners.
                      It suddenly struck me the other day that was the cause of the long snakey not-tar-snakes on the main roads around here. These not-tar-snakes are like grooves in the road, right in the middle of the lane, where I'd normally be riding, and they're quite good at causing the bike to suddenly go a bit off-colour in the handling department, causing me more than once to suspect I might have a puncture or something's just broken.
                      Bear with me, I'm getting to the point...
                      These roads were surfaced in exactly the same fashion as my local road, and the heavier volume of traffic on them created the not-tar-snakes as the gravel was swept from the normal tracks of the 4, 6, 8 and 10-wheeled traffic both to the sides of the road and to the middle of the lane, where it was eventually pounded into the road structure, but in an uneven fashion. These damned grooves are there permanently now, at least until the next re-surfacing work, just waiting to catch the next unwary motorcyclist out.

Tricky stuff, gravel.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Hey Kerry & Mrs Kerry,

glad you are ok. The experience is etched in your mind forever--for both of you. Sliding for approximately 20 feet on gravel through the lens of your helmet...I'm sure you were thinking, "I'm glad I wore my helmet...hey wait, where's my wife?"

Glad you took the brunt of the force which cushioned your wife's impact...I say that in a good way!

Prayers for a quick recovery for both of you. Then comes the eval for the repairing of your bike.

Let us know how the discussion goes with cleaning/repairing that road.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                          Better than good.
                          Any landing the leaves the machine re-usable is excellent!
                          True. How many bloodied riders in shredded clothes have you seen popping up looking for their bikes, trying to upright them, only to be restrained by police/EMT. Been there several times myself.
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            True. How many bloodied riders in shredded clothes have you seen popping up looking for their bikes, trying to upright them, only to be restrained by police/EMT. Been there several times myself.

One too many unfortunately and in the most recent case, unlike the wise Kerry, he did not have proper gear. Not pretty in the hand department.
                            Also unlike Kerry, nobody was the slightest bit interested in his plight, no Samaritan with band aids, not that they would have been of much use.
                            The police cruised by as I was sitting him down and they just turned their heads the other way and kept on going.
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Kerry, glad you and the Mrs came out with minimal injury.

In the pic of the case saver, it looks like a bolt is missing. If it was missing before the fall, it may have allowed the guard to move and break the cooling fin. Regardless though, they did their job.
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Another wish for rapid healing. Take that little lady of yours for some pampering, whatever makes her happy. Thank goodness it wasn't worse.
                                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                                X