No announcement yet.

FortNine videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I'm older - my first street bike was a '71 CB350. I had it from '75 to '79. That thing was bulletproof. Hit 96, cruise all day at 85 mph.

His videos are fairly enjoyable to watch, even though they're frequently indecipherable. "Impossible to find rubber." ?!?
    Last edited by Rob S.; 02-01-2021, 01:54 AM.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

yeah, fellow Curmudgeon!^^ I recall my 350 with the rib front and cross-tread rear with inner tubes seemed to work well enough because I didn't know any better and just rode according to my needs . Admittedly, my needs were just going where a VW bug could go but that really was a lot of places if you don't know any better.

So, Humbug. The description of why the new ones are better than the old ones seems to contradict how Wonderful! they said the old ones were when they came out... Likely I'll tune in next year and find out what was 'wrong" with this year's....

Comment

No signature

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          His videos are fairly enjoyable to watch, even though they're frequently indecipherable. "Impossible to find rubber." ?!?
          I guess I've changed my mind. The only reason I was able to watch that entire flat patch video was because I was on the toilet and just let it play. 95% noise for 5% information? No thanks.

It's the same reason I can't watch Graveyard Cars for more than a few minutes.

You want 100% information? Watch Junk Yard Gold with Steve Magnante.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

For years I just carried an aerosol can of Fix-a-Flat (similar things in your neighbourhood) and haven't had a puncture for two decades.
            However, now that I carry some sticky string and back at base have a full set of internal flat patch plugs, I've no doubt I'll have zero punctures for many more years.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Rope plugs are the only type I've used on bikes on the side of the road, and they've never let me down. He was spot-on.
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Agreed. That was spot on. I wasted a fair bit of cash a while back on the Stop-n-Stay plugs, and they're utter crap. Worse than demonstrated, actually; although the "needle push" test was pretty good. In motorcycle tires, the rubber plugs usually pop out after a few miles.

Sticky string is the best by far, and the best of the best of the sticky strings are Nealey repair kits; no glue required, and they're installed in a slightly different way that ends up tying a knot inside the tire. You also end up with four strands of sticky string inside the repair instead of two, so they seem to conform to the hole better.

I carry Mini Kits on all my motorcycles and vehicles:

I've found that the sticky string plugs actually increase significantly in sticktivity after experiencing some heat, time, and centrifugal force. They sort of turn into this immovable little glob on the inside of the tire.

I've also installed "inside the tire" mushroom repairs a few times. Frankly, the success rate isn't nearly as good as plain old sticky strings.
                Last edited by bwringer; 02-15-2021, 04:11 PM.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Anyone had the chance to ride the Yamaha Tenere 700 yet?

Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
                  1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

I have been seriously considering an airbag vest since my accident...looks like the Helite is the way to go....

Last edited by trevor; 03-01-2021, 01:01 PM.
                    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                      I have been seriously considering an airbag vest since my accident...looks like the Helite is the way to go.
                      Thanks for sharing Trevor. I was checkin out Helite's website and their jackets seem pretty legit as well.
                      Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
                      1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

No signature

Comment

That was great!
                          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Yeah, anyone who thinks carbs are simple is delusional...

What the overall thesis or point of the video was, I can't quite make out. Maybe just explaining why bikes all have FI now?
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                              For years I just carried an aerosol can of Fix-a-Flat (similar things in your neighbourhood) and haven't had a puncture for two decades.
                              However, now that I carry some sticky string and back at base have a full set of internal flat patch plugs, I've no doubt I'll have zero punctures for many more years.
                              the flat will come the day you leave the kit at home.
                              1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Working...
                              X