Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, I'm new to the motorcycle world, I bought a 1977 gs 550 yesterday for $500. It runs but needs some love, I dont currently have pics but its kinda bobbed out. Its flat black and single seated with a spit fire windshield.
    Currently I know it needs plugs and wires because it miss fires. Need a battery and the back tire looks rough. It came with a parts motor.
    I'm looking to get that 4 cylinder 6 speed running nice and figured the fourms would be my best bet for help and info.
    I'm planning on a tune up and cleaning the motor. I would like to paint it black and candy apple red. Probably gonna keep the bobber style. I thought my girlfriend was gonna kill me for buying a bike lol but she asked if I could make it a 2 seater so she could ride.

Welcome & good luck, don't know how bad your's bobbed, but depending on what's been cut, redesigned, & replaced, un-bobbing a bobber may be a lot of work.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Looks mostly original as far as the frame. Maybe it's me but that's the look I think the previous owner was going for. I do see weilds in the front behind the forks. This bike dosen't really look like the 550s I searched online. Trying to upload pics rn but It wont let me.

Comment

Not sure if this will work but I cant upload pictures to an album. Its low light I put it in the basement of my house which is low light, it's more of a work shop than a house.

Comment

It actually did come with a manual which I thought was pretty sweet.

Also is this for the choke? I drove this 30 miles to my house after I bought it and idk what this cable is...

Thanks

Comment

Good news - it looks like you've still got the rearmost frame rails so you can put a two-person seat back on, and might not need to change the tail light back to standard.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Sweet thanks for the reply. Will I have to get the factory, I'm a carpenter by trade but own and use cutting torches and a weilder. I was thinking I could engineer up some mounts if need be.
              I definitely need tires on front and back, the air filter looks disgusting and the front shocks are loose and covered with grime, the right one is cracked so I'm thinking that's gotta get replaced. Gonna have my cousin fix that paint job. I also need to check the seals. I drove it from where I bought it yesterday 30 miles to my house on who knows how many cylinders and now I see no oil in the sight glass. The electric ignition isn't working and the kickstart is catching on the foot peg.
              I have some work to do but I'm pretty excited. I'll probably spend more money than it's worth but I'm not worried about value. I just wanna ride lol

Comment

Originally posted by 6ixshooter View Post
                I'll probably spend more money than it's worth
                That's normal around here.
                ---- Dave
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Welcome to TheGSR.
                  . . . . . . . .
                  Currently I know it needs plugs and wires because it miss fires. Need a battery and the back tire looks rough. It came with a parts motor.
                  .. . . . . . . . .
                  THat sounds like automotive experience.
                  On your GS: the wires are not easily replaceable, they are epoxied into the coils.
                  What is replaceable, and a good suspect for the missfiring, are the plug caps. They have resistor in them that can go bad over time and ussage. The caps Are about $5 each, about any motorcycle shop/supplier carrys the NGK brand. Twist-pull the caps off of the wire. Can check with an ohm meter, should be about 5K ohms, but if look old, replacing them is a good idea.
                  Also look at the conductors in the end of the wire, see if any look burnt or missing. Most likely need to trim about 1/4th inch off the wire to get to fresh conductor.
                  ANd, yah, new plugs if they are old.

Hum... will have to look to see where Hessel is.

>> later note: ah, UP, east of St Ignias
                  Last edited by Redman; 09-06-2020, 10:03 PM. Reason: later note

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yup small town in the U.P. also one of those end caps already came off. Thank you for the knowledge I would have had no idea that they would be epoxied on. Seems to be enough extra wire to replace the cap.
                    I will have to cut and check the wires tomorrow. My house is about a 20 min drive from the appt I actually stay at.

After investigating the miss, I found this. I went to check the plug and it fell right off so I put plugs and wires on my list.
                    Being pretty much isolated from civilization just about everything here is order only. I'm currently fixing the frame and suspension on my mazda tribute. After that I have an audi 100 Cs quattro that needs attention.
                    When the local auto parts stores open back up on Tuesday I will get some plugs and see about the plug caps.
                    I have an ohm meter I just haven't tore into the bike yet.
                    If I can fix the miss I wanted to get some time in before it snows. Then I'm planning on a complete tear down. I'm only 30 but I prefer working on older motors, so much easier. I just re did a 81 20 hp merc outboard for my fishing boat lol. I'm no mechanic but I do ok.

Comment

.....It actually did come with a manual which I thought was pretty sweet.

That manual is the Owners Manual that describes how to operate the bike and includes some basic maintenance information.

You will find the full workshop manual here BikeCliff's Website

Good on you for being a younger guy who is interested in these fine older machines!
                      1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
                        That manual is the Owners Manual that describes how to operate the bike and includes some basic maintenance information.
                        "If pedestrian approach, tootle horn vigorously."
                        ---- Dave

Comment

Cool I'll check that website out.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post

You will find the full workshop manual here BikeCliff's Website

Good on you for being a younger guy who is interested in these fine older machines!
                            Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                            "If pedestrian approach, tootle horn vigorously."
                            Ha! I did thumb through it.
                            I couldn't help myself I went a little north and hit the parts stores. I had to order plug caps. Got a battery and dug into the bike for a bit. I need to crack into it before I even start it up.
                            I will keep a picture log and I'm glad you guys are here to help out.

Comment

Working...
                            X