Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new bars!

Hi!

I've drop some new lower bars on my geezer this weekend.

Had that set sleeping in the shed for quite a while.
    3 inches rise, 27 inches width, superbike like.

I'm very pleased with actual result. The bike feels great with these on...

gs850 3.jpg

Frank
    ------ Current rides: -----------------

Honda CT70 K0 1970 complete restoration in progress
    Suzuki GS850 1979 as stock as could be... well except for the bars!
    Yamaha FJ-09 2016 with OEM saddle bags for long distance running and gunning
    Yamaha VStar 1300 2007 (wife's) for relaxing

Man, that is as stock as could be, ..... well, except for the bars.
    even still have the seat trim.

looks great.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Looks like what should have been there from the factory. Looks great. Just my opinion.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Looks great!
        1982 GS1100GL: hand built stainless 4-1 exhaust, pods, jetting.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          even still have the seat trim.

looks great.
          Well, I did broke three tabs on the left side trim while trying to get her on the big stand. Gosh it take quite a pull to get up there and the handle is sorta thug under there...
          I glued the trim trim back on but I'm not sure it will stay there...

If this fail, I may try some mean black 3M doublesided tape.

And yes, bars should have been like that from factory. The original ones were some pre-cruiser era but-not-all-the-way-in-not-so-sure-but-who-cares-just-try-them-on-for-the-first-year thing!!!

Comment

Redman: This is my new signature!

Comment

I like the bike's handling much more over original bars, and I don't think it takes away anything from the bike's style. They fit my body frame better too, for longer arm reach. Great choice!
              1980 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by maisf View Post
                Well, I did broke three tabs on the left side trim while trying to get her on the big stand. Gosh it take quite a pull to get up there and the handle is sorta thug under there...
                Actually, it takes very little "pull" to get the bike on the centerstand.

It's all in the technique. Start with the bike on the side stand, put your right foot on the center stand's lever. Lift the bike to vertical while pushing down a bit on the center stand. When both feet of the center stand are touching the ground, lean over the bike, stand on the center stand lever. Yes, put your FULL weight on it. The bike is stable enough, don't worry about that. With your full weight on the lever, it only takes a mild tug on the rear lift bar and the handlebar, the bike will go up quite nicely.

A variation is possible if you are parking your bike in the same spot all the time, like your garage. Roll the rear wheel onto a 2x4 that is about a foot long. Now it is even easier to deploy the centerstand, as the 2x4 has done most of the lifting.

My bike is a bit heavier than most, due to the saddlebags and trunk, which makes it more difficult to use the centerstand. I carry a 2x4 in one of the saddle bags when we are on a trip. Anything shorter than that, I am not likely to use the centerstand, so I don't bother with the 2x4.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well... er... hum... maybe my "full weight" is slightly different than yours...

But I'll try this 2X4 trick, it sounds good.

Hehehe...

Comment

Originally posted by maisf View Post
                    Well... er... hum... maybe my "full weight" is slightly different than yours...

But I'll try this 2X4 trick, it sounds good.

Hehehe...
                    My full weight is only 145 lbs, and what Steve recommended works for my 1100e nicely.
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Bear in mind that 40 year old suspension is saggy and you lose a half inch front and rear from the height, which makes pulling the bike up onto the centre stand a real pig.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Those bars look right at home. Nice!

+1 on Grimley's comment. With new fork springs and shocks it was a bit easier to get my 850 up on the center stand, but since my GS tips the scale at 660 lbs because it's dressed similar to Steve's, I still use the 2x4 trick. Honestly I could probably use a 1x4 now.

I think all this hot weather riding made me drop a few pounds and if I'm lucky hit 145 with gear on.
                        Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A
                        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Beautiful cycle.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

They look a lot like Daytona's. They get used a lot here. I like the "Euro" bend bars too.
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Hi Dudes!

While swaping bars I cleaned up all electrical connections and it looks like I messed with the brake light switch under the front brake lever. So rear light was always on...

After dissasembling the whole thing, the little thingy moving with the lever was pretty much smashed. I managed to rebuilt it using bondic uv glue and got everything back in working allright...

So three days later... No brake light again...

Grrr.....

I dismounted everything again, lost the spring on the floor, spend 10 minutes with my nose on the floor before finding it... gosh... no brake light again...

The goddamn bulb was burned!!!

Well, it look like this bulb was in need of affection and that she was feeling very neglected. She just decided to end her miserable life.

A visit to the local autopart solved the problem.

I took no chance: now I hang garlic on the bars while the bike is in the garage.

Is bulb blowing out a sign of a problem, electricaly wise?

Comment

Working...
                              X