Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Labor Day Weekend Get Away

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Youngstown,Ohio
    Posts
    3,679

    Default Labor Day Weekend Get Away

    I had four days off work and wanted to ride somewhere. After some sour milk in Ohio, I had two large helpings of Kentucky with a side of Tennessee then some Ohio for dessert... Well, it had to happen. I'm sure some of you will get a chuckle knowing I got a speeding ticket! Yeah, karma is a, well you know. Motoring south on I71 there were bears everywhere even had bears in the air. Yep, a airplane cop timed me doing 87 in a 70mph... Positioning myself in Florence Kentucky without anymore problems and visiting with my Kentucky Wildcat, I was looking forward to Saturday's ride. Saturday, I got up early and was riding by 9:00am. What gorgeous weather cool with lots of sunshine and low humidity, perfect! I sliced down eastern Kentucky going over one mountain over to the next. I rode through Daniel Boone National Forest... Just weaving east then south then west back to south then east again all the way to Knoxville Tennessee! Sunday, another picture perfect day! I started to head north. Stopping at Norris Lake, up to Tazewell Tennessee then to the Cumberland Gap. The beauty was just awesome with the morning fog still hanging in the mountain valleys. I was so far off the beaten path. I must have missed a turn somewhere because the road I was on kept getting smaller and smaller. I stopped to ask for directions. The fellow asked where I was going, I told him Ohio. He laughed and said "sonny you are lost! He pointed, "if you keep heading north you'll run into Hazard Kentucky. Once in Hazard I was back on the map. It was starting to get late in the afternoon, I figured I'd shoot north to Huntington West Virginia and find a hotel there. Monday, I was back in Ohio, my stomping grounds. I shot over to Marietta Ohio then took my rt26 north. Rt26 was my dessert what a beautiful road. About 30 miles from my home in Youngstown. I was greeted to a hellacious thunderstorm! The new Michelin's were great! Even being drenched to my underwear I still had a smile on my face... What a beautiful Labor Day Weekend ��
    Last edited by storm 64; 09-08-2020 at 02:49 PM.
    My Motorcycles:
    21 Triumph Tiger 900 GT (coming to a town near you)
    16 Yamaha FJR1300 (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    82 750e (parts Bike)
    80 KZ650f (needs restored)

  2. #2
    Redman's Avatar
    Redman is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Michigan, west Michigan
    Posts
    11,988

    Default

    Good report, norm, well, except for the “award” you got.

    so, do I gather properly? Your method of touring is to pick a general area on the map, go there, and ride around till get lost?
    i can understand that.

    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.



  3. #3
    Baatfam's Avatar
    Baatfam is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    17,097

    Default

    You came through Knoxville and didn't stop to say hey? Joe Nardy is in the neighborhood, also.

    Glad you had fun though....
    Bob T.

    "That which you manifest is before you." -- Enzo
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
    "...for our existence to hold any value, it must end. To live meaningful lives, we must die and not return." -- Number Six

    '83 GS1100E ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '99 TRIUMPH TROPHY 900 ~ '67 HONDA CUB



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    848

    Default

    Yeah, real close to my place too! Maybe Norm is starting to be a "lone wolf" rider??? Or maybe it's because he has ridden with us before???
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!

    1978 GS750EC - Nov. 2017 BOTM - Sold
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1983 GS1100E
    1978 GS1000E - Sold
    1981 GS1100E - very slow work in progress!
    1985 GS550E - might never get to it!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    4,264

    Default

    There is actually a Hazard?
    Any odd-looking cars and fat sheriffs around?
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

    Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Youngstown,Ohio
    Posts
    3,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1978GS750E View Post
    Yeah, real close to my place too! Maybe Norm is starting to be a "lone wolf" rider??? Or maybe it's because he has ridden with us before???
    No, not at all Ron, I love riding with you guys. This was kind of a spur of the moment get away. But yeah, I should have gave you a call Saturday morning to see what you were up to... When I leave my home a lot of the times I don't even know where I'm going...

    I must say Kentucky is king of the yard sales! I forget the route I was on but there must have been 100 yard sales in 25 miles! No one throws anything away, they just sell it to their neighbors. And the Houseboats on some of the lakes are bigger than my house! I think it would be great to have three bedrooms, two bathrooms, kitchen, livingroom all floating on the lake! I did run into a couple of Hill Jacks. Asking me if my motorcycle was for sale. What I was doing here... I got the feeling I better get out of here. When leaving they said we're just goofing around... Other than that folks were friendly. Yeah, I might be kind of a Lone Wolf rider. The only people I ride with nowadays are you guys at the rallies...
    Last edited by storm 64; 09-08-2020 at 05:22 PM.
    My Motorcycles:
    21 Triumph Tiger 900 GT (coming to a town near you)
    16 Yamaha FJR1300 (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    82 750e (parts Bike)
    80 KZ650f (needs restored)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    848

    Default

    Just yanking your chain Norm! Glad you had a good trip! I was actually in western Kentucky on Saturday, and home working on bikes Sunday and Monday!
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!

    1978 GS750EC - Nov. 2017 BOTM - Sold
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1983 GS1100E
    1978 GS1000E - Sold
    1981 GS1100E - very slow work in progress!
    1985 GS550E - might never get to it!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Youngstown,Ohio
    Posts
    3,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1978GS750E View Post
    Just yanking your chain Norm! Glad you had a good trip! I was actually in western Kentucky on Saturday, and home working on bikes Sunday and Monday!
    Yeah, but I could have come over and stole some GS parts from you. That's what I did when I stopped in to see Larry! He was even working on my bike! I have pictures to prove it!😃
    My Motorcycles:
    21 Triumph Tiger 900 GT (coming to a town near you)
    16 Yamaha FJR1300 (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    82 750e (parts Bike)
    80 KZ650f (needs restored)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    DE via L.A.
    Posts
    10,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by storm 64 View Post
    I had four days off work and wanted to ride somewhere. After some sour milk in Ohio, I had two large helpings of Kentucky with a side of Tennessee then some Ohio for dessert...

    Well, it had to happen. I'm sure some of you will get a chuckle knowing I got a speeding ticket! Yeah, karma is a, well you know. Motoring south on I71 there were bears everywhere even had bears in the air. Yep, a airplane cop timed me doing 87 in a 70mph...

    Positioning myself in Florence Kentucky without anymore problems and visiting with my Kentucky Wildcat, I was looking forward to Saturday's ride. Saturday, I got up early and was riding by 9:00am. What gorgeous weather cool with lots of sunshine and low humidity, perfect! I sliced down eastern Kentucky going over one mountain over to the next. I rode through Daniel Boone National Forest...Just weaving east then south then west back to south then east again all the way to Knoxville Tennessee!

    Sunday, another picture perfect day! I started to head north. Stopping at Norris Lake, up to Tazewell Tennessee then to the Cumberland Gap. The beauty was just awesome with the morning fog still hanging in the mountain valleys. I was so far off the beaten path. I must have missed a turn somewhere because the road I was on kept getting smaller and smaller. I stopped to ask for directions. The fellow asked where I was going, I told him Ohio. He laughed and said "sonny you are lost! He pointed, "if you keep heading north you'll run into Hazard Kentucky.

    Once in Hazard I was back on the map. It was starting to get late in the afternoon, I figured I'd shoot north to Huntington West Virginia and find a hotel there. Monday, I was back in Ohio, my stomping grounds. I shot over to Marietta Ohio then took my rt26 north. Rt26 was my dessert what a beautiful road. About 30 miles from my home in Youngstown.I was greeted to a hellacious thunderstorm!

    The new Michelin's were great! Even being drenched to my underwear I still had a smile on my face... What a beautiful Labor Day Weekend ��
    Sorry Norm,

    Had to break down your thoughts into paragraphs...sounds like a good time. Except for the drenched underwear...really??? (you must be embellishing your story)

    Ed

    ****
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

    The fact that you infer my non-acceptance is what I'm talking about. (31Jan2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

  10. #10
    cowboyup3371's Avatar
    cowboyup3371 is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In Ohio Now
    Posts
    13,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GSXR7ED View Post
    Sorry Norm,

    Had to break down your thoughts into paragraphs...sounds like a good time. Except for the drenched underwear...really??? (you must be embellishing your story)

    Ed

    ****
    No I can see it knowing the storm system that came through this way yesterday.

    Norm, an airplane cop really? How did they stop you - land on the road?

    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

    1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

    Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •