Labor Day Weekend Get Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labor Day Weekend Get Away

I had four days off work and wanted to ride somewhere. After some sour milk in Ohio, I had two large helpings of Kentucky with a side of Tennessee then some Ohio for dessert... Well, it had to happen. I'm sure some of you will get a chuckle knowing I got a speeding ticket! Yeah, karma is a, well you know. Motoring south on I71 there were bears everywhere even had bears in the air. Yep, a airplane cop timed me doing 87 in a 70mph... Positioning myself in Florence Kentucky without anymore problems and visiting with my Kentucky Wildcat, I was looking forward to Saturday's ride. Saturday, I got up early and was riding by 9:00am. What gorgeous weather cool with lots of sunshine and low humidity, perfect! I sliced down eastern Kentucky going over one mountain over to the next. I rode through Daniel Boone National Forest... Just weaving east then south then west back to south then east again all the way to Knoxville Tennessee! Sunday, another picture perfect day! I started to head north. Stopping at Norris Lake, up to Tazewell Tennessee then to the Cumberland Gap. The beauty was just awesome with the morning fog still hanging in the mountain valleys. I was so far off the beaten path. I must have missed a turn somewhere because the road I was on kept getting smaller and smaller. I stopped to ask for directions. The fellow asked where I was going, I told him Ohio. He laughed and said "sonny you are lost! He pointed, "if you keep heading north you'll run into Hazard Kentucky. Once in Hazard I was back on the map. It was starting to get late in the afternoon, I figured I'd shoot north to Huntington West Virginia and find a hotel there. Monday, I was back in Ohio, my stomping grounds. I shot over to Marietta Ohio then took my rt26 north. Rt26 was my dessert what a beautiful road. About 30 miles from my home in Youngstown. I was greeted to a hellacious thunderstorm! The new Michelin's were great! Even being drenched to my underwear I still had a smile on my face... What a beautiful Labor Day Weekend ��
    Last edited by storm 64; 09-08-2020, 02:49 PM.
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Good report, norm, well, except for the “award” you got.

so, do I gather properly? Your method of touring is to pick a general area on the map, go there, and ride around till get lost?
    i can understand that.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

You came through Knoxville and didn't stop to say hey? Joe Nardy is in the neighborhood, also.

Glad you had fun though....
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Yeah, real close to my place too! Maybe Norm is starting to be a "lone wolf" rider??? Or maybe it's because he has ridden with us before???
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
        1982 GS1100E
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

There is actually a Hazard?
          Any odd-looking cars and fat sheriffs around?
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
            Yeah, real close to my place too! Maybe Norm is starting to be a "lone wolf" rider??? Or maybe it's because he has ridden with us before???
            No, not at all Ron, I love riding with you guys. This was kind of a spur of the moment get away. But yeah, I should have gave you a call Saturday morning to see what you were up to... When I leave my home a lot of the times I don't even know where I'm going...

I must say Kentucky is king of the yard sales! I forget the route I was on but there must have been 100 yard sales in 25 miles! No one throws anything away, they just sell it to their neighbors. And the Houseboats on some of the lakes are bigger than my house! I think it would be great to have three bedrooms, two bathrooms, kitchen, livingroom all floating on the lake! I did run into a couple of Hill Jacks. Asking me if my motorcycle was for sale. What I was doing here... I got the feeling I better get out of here. When leaving they said we're just goofing around... Other than that folks were friendly. Yeah, I might be kind of a Lone Wolf rider. The only people I ride with nowadays are you guys at the rallies...
            Last edited by storm 64; 09-08-2020, 05:22 PM.
            My Motorcycles:
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)

Comment

Just yanking your chain Norm! Glad you had a good trip! I was actually in western Kentucky on Saturday, and home working on bikes Sunday and Monday!
              Ron
              When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
              1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
              1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
              1982 GS1100E
              1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
                Just yanking your chain Norm! Glad you had a good trip! I was actually in western Kentucky on Saturday, and home working on bikes Sunday and Monday!
                Yeah, but I could have come over and stole some GS parts from you. That's what I did when I stopped in to see Larry! He was even working on my bike! I have pictures to prove it!😃
                My Motorcycles:
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                  I had four days off work and wanted to ride somewhere. After some sour milk in Ohio, I had two large helpings of Kentucky with a side of Tennessee then some Ohio for dessert...

Well, it had to happen. I'm sure some of you will get a chuckle knowing I got a speeding ticket! Yeah, karma is a, well you know. Motoring south on I71 there were bears everywhere even had bears in the air. Yep, a airplane cop timed me doing 87 in a 70mph...

Positioning myself in Florence Kentucky without anymore problems and visiting with my Kentucky Wildcat, I was looking forward to Saturday's ride. Saturday, I got up early and was riding by 9:00am. What gorgeous weather cool with lots of sunshine and low humidity, perfect! I sliced down eastern Kentucky going over one mountain over to the next. I rode through Daniel Boone National Forest...Just weaving east then south then west back to south then east again all the way to Knoxville Tennessee!

Sunday, another picture perfect day! I started to head north. Stopping at Norris Lake, up to Tazewell Tennessee then to the Cumberland Gap. The beauty was just awesome with the morning fog still hanging in the mountain valleys. I was so far off the beaten path. I must have missed a turn somewhere because the road I was on kept getting smaller and smaller. I stopped to ask for directions. The fellow asked where I was going, I told him Ohio. He laughed and said "sonny you are lost! He pointed, "if you keep heading north you'll run into Hazard Kentucky.

Once in Hazard I was back on the map. It was starting to get late in the afternoon, I figured I'd shoot north to Huntington West Virginia and find a hotel there. Monday, I was back in Ohio, my stomping grounds. I shot over to Marietta Ohio then took my rt26 north. Rt26 was my dessert what a beautiful road. About 30 miles from my home in Youngstown.I was greeted to a hellacious thunderstorm!

The new Michelin's were great! Even being drenched to my underwear I still had a smile on my face... What a beautiful Labor Day Weekend ��
                  Sorry Norm,

Had to break down your thoughts into paragraphs...sounds like a good time. Except for the drenched underwear...really??? (you must be embellishing your story)

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                    Sorry Norm,

Had to break down your thoughts into paragraphs...sounds like a good time. Except for the drenched underwear...really??? (you must be embellishing your story)

Ed

No I can see it knowing the storm system that came through this way yesterday.

Norm, an airplane cop really? How did they stop you - land on the road?
                    sigpic
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                      Norm, an airplane cop really? How did they stop you - land on the road?
                      Nah, those guys up in the air have these new-fangled devices called "radios". They use them to talk to other cops that are already on the ground, hopefully ahead of Norm, to warn them that he is on the way.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'd sure like to explore that area someday, Norm. Sounds like a great ride.

Were you on the FJR? Which Michelins did you put on? I just put Road 5's on mine, but they haven't seen any rain yet.
                        Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A
                        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                          I'd sure like to explore that area someday, Norm. Sounds like a great ride.

Were you on the FJR? Which Michelins did you put on? I just put Road 5's on mine, but they haven't seen any rain yet.
                          Yes Roger, I was riding the FJR. I've been riding on Michelin PR4'S for awhile now, I think this is my 4th or 5th set. It really is a beautiful part of our country. So many twisty roads and elevation changes I was getting Sea Sick! 😃
                          My Motorcycles:
                          79 1000e (all original)
                          82 850g (all original)

Comment

Glad you had a great ride.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                              Stopping at Norris Lake, up to Tazewell Tennessee then to the Cumberland Gap. The beauty was just awesome with the morning fog still hanging in the mountain valleys. I was so far off the beaten path.

Monday, I was back in Ohio, my stomping grounds. I shot over to Marietta Ohio then took my rt26 north. Rt26 was my dessert what a beautiful road. About 30 miles from my home in Youngstown.

What a beautiful Labor Day Weekend ��
                              Stormin' Norman! Geesh it's been at least 5 or 6 years since I rode with you on a Labor Day weekend!

Tazewell, Tennessee? I went through Tazewell, VIRGINIA Friday and Saturday! Is there a TN city of the same name, or are we talking about the same place just north of that ripping triple mountain pass stretch on Route 16 known at the Back of the Dragon?

GOT PHOTOS?!
                              '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                              '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                              '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                              '79 GS425stock
                              PROJECTS:
                              '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                              '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                              '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                              '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                              X