New Handle bars, new issue!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Handle bars, new issue!

I am pulling my hair out here, I just installed new handle bars (3ish inches shorter than stock) I started with routing per service manual, No good revs up when turning right revs down when turning left, I tried routing it two other ways with no luck. Any one have any tips for routing other than the normal no sharp tuns.
    I currently have it with a good amount of clearance in-between brake line & tach cable, with a straight shot along the upper tube to the carb.
    Don't know if this information is relevant but the end that connects to carb is adjusted all the way in ((less tension on throttle valve)

Any and all ideas/criticism is welcome!
    1983 GS650GL Not running when I bought it. runs great now
    Engine- Carb Cleaned, Valve Adj, Ignition Mod, balanced carbs, Polished/Painted engine, Exhaust wrapped
    Frame & Wheels painted, rebuild brakes/masters, Fixed Tach/Spedo, Sonic Springs in the Front, New handle bars w/bar end mirror/turn signals
    Still To-Do?
    Fuel sending unit, Fuel tank paint job?, LED headlight?, Seat falling apart, Solutions?, Changing look of the rear of bike, Seat, Brake/turn-signals

Check a 650 Katana for shorter cables
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I think I may have had same issue when I switched my handlebars, although can't recall the routing solution - think I just routed it more forward towards headlight. But if my noob a** could do it, you'll find a way. Make sure there is a bit of slack in throttle cable, at the leaver adjustment. Having said that, my bars were few inches lower - but if yours are lower and narrower then likely shorter cable.

gs.jpg
      1980 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by DrDankNuggs View Post
        No good revs up when turning right revs down when turning left,
        Have you adjusted the free play in the cables? Revs changing normally happens because the cables are going tight as you swing from lock to lock. If you can't get free play then you likely need shorter cables.

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I just installed new handle bars (3ish inches shorter than stock) I started with routing per service manual, No good revs up when turning right revs down when turning left
          That's odd. This usually happens when cables are too short.
          A picture posted might help... I think you have a 650GL?

It may also help to use some pull ties to hold the cables in place along the upper frame tube, if you have not done this ...a bit of tape will do it too. Not too tight. Naturally you will experiment with routing and the binding issues you have with the tank off first?...

Comment

I finally got it, I have more end play than SM suggests but it works. I backed off every adjustment and started @ idle adjustment screw, lots of back and fourth but it now works like the old handle bars did.
            1983 GS650GL Not running when I bought it. runs great now
            Engine- Carb Cleaned, Valve Adj, Ignition Mod, balanced carbs, Polished/Painted engine, Exhaust wrapped
            Frame & Wheels painted, rebuild brakes/masters, Fixed Tach/Spedo, Sonic Springs in the Front, New handle bars w/bar end mirror/turn signals
            Still To-Do?
            Fuel sending unit, Fuel tank paint job?, LED headlight?, Seat falling apart, Solutions?, Changing look of the rear of bike, Seat, Brake/turn-signals

Comment

Shorten that throttle cable. Cut the spaghetti and solder a new barrel on there. DIY:

HOW TO SOLDER the ends of throttle and brake cables. Very useful information. Very handy when building a go-cart or chainsaw bike or to fix that hard to get ...

Comment

Working...
              X