Cincinnati OH to Maryville TN route suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cincinnati OH to Maryville TN route suggestions

In the next month or so I'll have the opportunity to ride from Cincinnati OH to Maryville TN. I'll have all day to get from point A to point B. I'm looking for the most interesting route to get me there between sunup and sundown.

I'm hoping 1978GS750E, storm 64, cowboyup3371, and others will provide feedback.

I've ridden the roads between Lexington and Knoxville and know they're good. But I'm not really familiar with the area further north. I'd hate to have this day to ride the area and miss something really great. What do you think?

Here's what I've come up with so far.

To_Kville_1 by Greg White, on Flickr

If you're so inclined, you can see the route in more detail here: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33884413. I'm pretty sure it's public.
    Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
    Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

It might be possible for me to meet up with you in Maynardville, and follow you down. (If you don't mind, since I will hold you up...LOL)
    Haven't had a bike on the Foothills Parkway yet.

I'll know better as we get closer.
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
      It might be possible for me to meet up with you in Maynardville, and follow you down. (If you don't mind, since I will hold you up...LOL)
      Haven't had a bike on the Foothills Parkway yet.

I'll know better as we get closer.
      That would be flippin' awesome! Hope it works out. I haven't ridden the newest part of the parkway yet and am really looking forward to it. Riding with you again would be icing on the cake.
      Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Overall, the route looks pretty good.

From Florence to near Lexington is mostly just rural roads, mostly scenic. After that, the road does get a bit more "interesting".

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That route looks like the one that I would choose for the trip. Your trip south of Lexington are some roads that I ride quite often. You will be pleased!
          Ron
          When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
          1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
          1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
          1982 GS1100E
          1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Greg, check out "Riding Obsession" website. Look up "Hillbilly Triangle". Lots of great ideas. Also take a look at rt22 east, you pick it up a little south of Florence. 👍
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Greg, check your PMs, there are a thousand great roads in that area so it would help to know your timeline and where in Cincy you plan on going to. Heck, I'll even come join you on some of them
              Last edited by cowboyup3371; 09-09-2020, 09:12 PM.
              sigpic
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                Greg, check your PMs, there are a thousand great roads in that area so it would help to know your timeline and where in Cincy you plan on going to. Heck, I'll even come join you on some of them
                That sounds like a good idea.

Now, I'm no authority on north kentucky roads, but I might suggest adjusting the very earliest part off that trip to take 22 into Falmouth, and maybe past it. But then, it's hard to go wrong around there
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Dude. DUDE. DUUUUUUDE.

27 SUCKS. HARD.

You GOTTA get off 27 and go east to work in 22 and 10.

22 on either side of Falmouth may be the finest motorcycling road on the planet. It's at least in the team photo.

Here's my account of this area, with a track to consider:
                  Our Northeast Kentucky motorcycle ride begins with a jaunt along KY-10 just outside of Augusta. It then connects with KY-22 for an epic riding experience.

Oh, and there you are in the photo. So you know what I'm talking about.

Holla at me if you want some tracks to play with.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks Brian! I definitely want to avoid sucky roads. I'll look at those routes and ping you if I need more guidance.

I'm sure I've been on those before, but I was just following you. No idea where I really was. Just trying to stay on the road and avoid washouts, potholes, and oncoming traffic.

Comment

Working...
                    X