Hydraulic clutch converstion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydraulic clutch converstion

Hey all, I just talk with a guy from Magura USA. They make hydraulic clutch conversions for motorcycles. They don't make one for our GSs, though said they might have an interest to do so or would help us in making one for ourselves. I was just wondering if there would be enough interest here to get them to build a few for us. I don't know the cost yet, just seeing if there was any interest first.

sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Passing interest only.

If I had a clutch that was hard to pull or had other problems, I might have a little more interest,
    but right now, everything is working quite well.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Passing interest only.

If I had a clutch that was hard to pull or had other problems, I might have a little more interest,
      but right now, everything is working quite well.

I got to thinking, would benefit my arthritic hand. And I hate lubing that cable lol.
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Naw, not me, I'd be more interested in converting my hydraulic clutches to cable.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
          Naw, not me, I'd be more interested in converting my hydraulic clutches to cable.
          Me too, on my '85 Katana.
          2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
          2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

A new OEM clutch cable is $25, lasts many thousands of miles with no maintenance at all and has solved every problem I have ever had with a hard clutch pull. Why mess with success?

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I did a hydraulic clutch conversion on my '78 GS750. bought the slave cylinder and master cylinder from ebay and the lines from HEL Performance. Had to get a local engineer to fettle a bracket to hold the slave cylinder onto the casing but haven't missed the cable once.
              1978 GS750(E) I think

Comment

319 euros SSJ!!!
                Cobble something together from a madura or other hydraulic clutched suzuki of the past.
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Hey MrBill,

Why don’t you get an “automatic” transmission motorcycle? Lol

Seriously, are your hands getting to a point where gripping/squeezing is becoming painful?

I would imagine your Spyder has a clutch with ease of the squeeze factor...the GS, not so much.

Good luck in finding potential customers for said requirement.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                    Originally posted by Hayabuser View Post
                    Me too, on my '85 Katana.
                    Here, here!

Little brother commented how hard my 11E's clutch was compared to our HDs (2015 Dyna Low Rider & 2016 883 Sporty). "There's horsepower connected to that lever," I told him.

A few years back I wanted to install a slipper clutch on Suzie (rear end never skids, she bucks. Violently...threw me once).

But that would violate the KISS principle. The fewer moving parts, the better. Fewer things to break. Read Marcus Aurelius. Of each particular thing ask: what is it in itself? You get the idea...I'm going to open a nice Chianti.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      Here, here!

But that would violate the KISS principle. The fewer moving parts, the better. Fewer things to break. Read Marcus Aurelius. Of each particular thing ask: what is it in itself? You get the idea...I'm going to open a nice Chianti.
                      Don't forget the Fava beans....
                      97 R1100R
                      Previous
                      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                        Don't forget the Fava beans....
                        And liver. I read recently that it's a medical inside joke. That Hannibal's mental condition would likely call for the use of MAO Inhibitors, and that there are three things that should never be mixed with that medicine - beans, wine, and...liver (human or otherwise).

That Lector was implying that at the time, he was not taking his meds. Such a naughty boy.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                          Hey MrBill,

Why don’t you get an “automatic” transmission motorcycle? Lol

Seriously, are your hands getting to a point where gripping/squeezing is becoming painful?

I would imagine your Spyder has a clutch with ease of the squeeze factor...the GS, not so much.

Good luck in finding potential customers for said requirement.

Ed

I have an automatic, the Spyder, flippers eaze pezey. I'm not actually looking for customers for this, just seeing if anyone was interested. This outfit said they can do one or 100, I just need to send them a pic of the clutch arm/cable fitting and they do the rest.
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                            A new OEM clutch cable is $25, lasts many thousands of miles with no maintenance at all and has solved every problem I have ever had with a hard clutch pull. Why mess with success?

Mark
                            Because we are supposed to.
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Mr Bill!

I need to message you! Busy as always...right?

You're sending out a "feeler" and not looking for customers...I get it.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                              X