Thread: Distance learning "funnies"

gbw is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Default Distance learning "funnies"

Do you have a kid distance learning? You or someone in your family teaching by distance learning? Any good stories?

I'll start. I have a kid distance learning 4th grade and a wife distance teaching kindergarten. So I have a few.

My kid's district is using Microsoft Teams. They were recording every class. In some cases I was able to view and download the class recordings. That's probably an error in the setup. I don't think they intend anyone besides staff to view the recordings. Probably a privacy violation.

In one case a naked mother walked through the frame behind her distance learner. In another case a young boy...ahem...how to put this delicately...expressed himself inappropriately. Of course the teacher and the entire class can see all the other students video feeds.

The district no longer records the sessions.
    Current: 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
    Previous: 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

marvinsc is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

I can only imagine some of the stuff that has been seen and can't be unseen............LOL
    2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

cowboyup3371 is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

One kid here in the Dayton area displayed a toy gun and was facing a lot of legal issues for a bit; fortunately, the police department had enough brains to drop the case and it seems the school will follow suit

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

I spent a bit of time today wiring the whole house for ethernet to make sure my 3 have stable connections for simultaneous virtual school. Went to try things out to realize their chromebooks don't have ethernet ports.... lolol. Wifi is fine then, heh.
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by greg78gs750 View Post
    I spent a bit of time today wiring the whole house for ethernet to make sure my 3 have stable connections for simultaneous virtual school. Went to try things out to realize their chromebooks don't have ethernet ports.... lolol. Wifi is fine then, heh.
    Now that's funny right there. I did about the same thing. Was having trouble getting mine connected to WiFi, so went to connect it directly to the router...nope...no ethernet port. I finally figured out the WiFi situation.

yep. Derpderp. I think I'm going to pick up some of the little ethernet to usb dongles, like 12 bucks, and I know from the spring that 3 simultaneous zoom calls is a stretch for my system.
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Nothing funny for me, except that our entire district just went to Chromebooks and Canvas for the first time. All of us. So, every teacher, student, parent, and administrator is working to figure them out in real time. A real 'baptism-by-fire' situation. Also, we're discovering that the school wifi struggles to keep up when all of our students are online (which we only have 50% of our students at a time right now). If anything humorous happens, I'll be sure to share.
    http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/4802_575940144494_32311289_33696392_4482768_n.jpg

salty_monk is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by greg78gs750 View Post

Stick one of these on the end of the Ethernet cable..... use POE (power over ethernet) at whichever end you choose (router or AP end). https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lite/ I use a "Dream machine" for my main router & one of their switches elsewhere too. All good stuff

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by gbw View Post
    Do you have a kid distance learning? You or someone in your family teaching by distance learning? Any good stories?

I'll start. I have a kid distance learning 4th grade and a wife distance teaching kindergarten. So I have a few.

My kid's district is using Microsoft Teams. They were recording every class. In some cases I was able to view and download the class recordings. That's probably an error in the setup. I don't think they intend anyone besides staff to view the recordings. Probably a privacy violation.

In one case a naked mother walked through the frame behind her distance learner. In another case a young boy...ahem...how to put this delicately...expressed himself inappropriately. Of course the teacher and the entire class can see all the other students video feeds.

The district no longer records the sessions.
    That's an amazing story. What a sh** show
    I have a six year old in first grade, doing virtual learning. I don't have any good stories yet, the experience has been pretty smooth so far...which is a good thing I suppose. If anything comes up I'll make sure and report it here first.