Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding a Weaker Carb Return Spring

Default Finding a Weaker Carb Return Spring

I've decided that the return spring for my carb rack is too strong. After a few hours of riding, my wrist gets really sore. In a certain sense, it affects "performance" since it's harder to flick the throttle open. I've ridden cross country on this bike and so it's not a matter of just "riding more to build up muscle" - after 6 weeks riding ~200 miles/day, my wrist still ached at the end of each day. On my GS450 and GS550, the throttle feels great - easy to pull and snaps back quickly. On the GS750, it snaps back quickly but is noticeably more difficult to pull.

Are there any known drop in replacements? Sadly, the one from my GS550 is much shorter or I would have just plopped an extra I have in.
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

What about a throttle friction device?

Hmm interesting - Wouldn't that make it harder to open the throttle, needing to overcome both the spring and friction force? It would make for easier cruising.
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Suzuki probably erred a bit on the strong side just to be careful with their design. On the older carbs the return springs tend to be stronger than you'd think preferable, but there's a good reason for that.
    Having said that, I fitted a pair of lighter springs in the VM34s on my XS, with no bad results. There's no pull-shut cable on those either, so I'm entirely dependent on a free linkage, working spring and quick kill-button reactions in the event of a stuck throttle.
    Have at it, and just be wary of the downside.
    Last edited by Grimly; 09-11-2020 at 03:44 PM.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

I use one of those cramp busters that attaches to the grip. It works well. Cheap enough to try before going thru the headache of messing with springs.

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

salty_monk is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

I messed around with springs on the 78 1000 (probably the same as yours). At anything noticeably less than stock it doesn't snap shut as it should....

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Quote Originally Posted by dorkburger View Post
    I use one of those cramp busters that attaches to the grip. It works well. Cheap enough to try before going thru the headache of messing with springs.
    If it were <my> bike, I would not care how much the headache would cost,
    I would find a spring LONG before using one of those evil devices.

mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Or you could use a more appropriate technique to grip the throttle grip.
    ON long trips I use my thumb and index in a light wrap around the tube housing while applying pressure onto the tube with the palm.

Plenty of friction and very little effort. and alterable in a split second.

I get the feeling you are on task constantly and there is no way a hand wrist forearm can do that for hours.
    While the factory spring grip etc are a constant the anatomy of the rider is variable.

Its akin to telling a person to fret a guitar in a way that hurts them when they may be able to do it differently than accepted normality. Differently but no less effectively.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Quote Originally Posted by salty_monk View Post
    I messed around with springs on the 78 1000 (probably the same as yours). At anything noticeably less than stock it doesn't snap shut as it should....
    I'm not sure of the physics involved, but I tried modifying the spring on a 78 750 and a 79 850 and found that when you run high enough rpm the suction would actually stick the slide to the bore or suck it open somehow and not want to return. This is downright terrifying. There isn't the same effect with the butterflies of a CV carb so the springs can be softer.

Yes, you can reduce the spring effort a bit, but it's a dangerous game. Everything will seem fine until you hit the wrong wrist/rev combo. Hopefully nothing else important is going on when you discover that.

I don't think that it's the rotation stiffness that is fatiguing so much as the constant grip tension required for traction. Stock grips aren't bad in that regard, but slippery gloves are useless. I have a pair that I rub beeswax on regularly just to get enough grip that my arm pressure will hold the throttle without constant squeezing.

Best of luck.
    '82 GS450T

Back in the dim times, before CV carbs became ubiquitous, I’d see an ad in the back of every bike mag for a device called Twist-Assist, or something close to that. Might be worth searching eBay or other vintage bike forums for one.
    Rich Desmond
    1980 GS1000S
    2007 V-Strom 650
    2008 Ducati 848
    2002 DR-Z400S
    1999 SV650 (race bike)