Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I put a GS550 or other displacement point cover on my GS450?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I put a GS550 or other displacement point cover on my GS450?

I don't really know much about engines or wrenching, but I've been going through roughed up parts on my GS450T (my first bike) and replacing or repairing them. It's been really satisfying. Anyway, I'm trying to replace the point cover which is cracked and gouged out from getting dropped by a PO. All of the 450 point covers I can find are in pretty much the same condition, but I find many point covers for larger displacement bikes which look great. Can I assume they have the same bolt pattern and size and everything to fit onto my bike?
    1981 GS450T

Welcome to the forum. Please put the year and specific model of your bike in your signature if you plan on sticking around. And you should. It’s a great place, especially since you’re new to riding and wrenching on bikes. Having the specific year and model in a signature means you’ll never have to remember to put that important info in your post. We need it to help answer bike specific questions, especially when cross matching parts from one to another. I don’t happen to know the answer. I’m sure someone does. You can look at the parts fiches from different years and models on sites like partsoutlaw.com. Once you have the part number for your right side cover, you can search by that part number to find other bikes that used it. Should only take a minute.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 09-13-2020, 07:17 AM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks for the advice, Rich, for the both the forum and the question. I'll give that a try!
      1981 GS450T

Comment

I checked the part number in the cross-reference, apparently the 450 cover is unique.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

They're quite different shapes. The GS450 cover is round where the GS550 one has a non-round part on the bottom
          1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
          1977 GS550
          1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by GoblinVomit View Post
            I don't really know much about engines or wrenching, but I've been going through roughed up parts on my GS450T (my first bike) and replacing or repairing them. It's been really satisfying. Anyway, I'm trying to replace the point cover which is cracked and gouged out from getting dropped by a PO. All of the 450 point covers I can find are in pretty much the same condition, but I find many point covers for larger displacement bikes which look great. Can I assume they have the same bolt pattern and size and everything to fit onto my bike?
            Buy Suzuki 11381-44101 - CONTACT BREAKER COVER. This OEM part is guaranteed by Suzuki's limited part warranty ✓ FREE Shipping on qualified orders - Partzilla.com

shows as still available new though I assume any decal is extra. Assuming that side of the cases has a decal over the points cover.

anyway the ink will show the interchange for the part its 450 specific but fits a variety of models over several years.
            Use the info to search ebay maybe?
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
            X