Denso alternative to NGK D8EA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Denso alternative to NGK D8EA

I've read of people saying that the non resistor NGK D8EA spark plugs are getting harder to find. I did find some sellers that still had them but the NGK site says they're history. They refer you to the DR8EA. Looking in the manuals for my GS650G, I noticed that the Denso X24ESU was the alternative. I found those on Rock Auto, they're now called Denso 4099. You can still find them by X24ESU. I got 4 of them at $1.31 each plus $3. postal shipping. Not bad.

This may be common knowledge but I couldn't find any posts about Denso plugs. I realize they're not the Nippon Denso of old quality. The box stated that they're made in Indonesia with Japanese and Indonesian parts. In my case, I just wanted to have some spares for later.
    1981 Suzuki GS650G

Denso X24ES-U. I don't guarantee my info. Look up cross reference chart for your plug.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Or, just run the DR8EA and remove the resistor in the boot and replace it with copper or welding rod. Honestly I doubt you will notice a difference if you double up on the resistance by leaving the resistor boot and also using a resistor plug.
      I noticed Suzuki changed their catalog for my 85 GS550E from the original D9EA to DR9EA, I can still get the D9EA from NGK and the local shop so I don't know why they changed it other than maybe it is also out of production.
      For electronically controlled iginitions (non-points) I do not recommend going resistor-less.
      1981 Suzuki GS250T
      1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
      1985 Suzuki GS550E
      2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Honestly I doubt you will notice a difference if you double up on the resistance by leaving the resistor boot and also using a resistor plug.
        yes, I've used both and I can't notice any. I believe "resistance" is not what many people think it is, in this application. It's not a DC circuit like the headlamp or turn signals.

But the D8s are not yet so rare. Stock up! if you feel a pinch. The result of a run on the D8s may cause a surge in demand and encourage the manufacturer to make more
        Last edited by Gorminrider; 09-17-2020, 01:07 PM.

Comment

All very good information but personally I'll use the factory recommended and cheap Denso 4099. For as long as they may be around.
          1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Gee whiz. I've been using B8EP. I'll gave to recheck the manual
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I have used resistor plugs and had no negative impact. Same coils same ignition 37 yrs 80000 kms in all kinds of weather.
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

They work , I'll use the resistor plug in a pinch-does no harm- but the manual's "correct" plugs make me feel better. The stock plug (resistorless) in theory will have a better spark...
                as to mods that reduce the OEM "resistance", I read that apparently Race bikes don't want any resistance/reluctance they don't absolutely need because higher rpms don't allow the best Dwell for the best spark(ie: "reluctance" has a time factor)... but I also read it's harder on the ignition system too and don't want to risk my old TCI boxes!

Comment

Working...
                X