Secret spot for speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secret spot for speakers

I was taking out the liner on my helmet (X-Lite X702-GT), and I found out there is some round foam bits where speakers should go, that can be removed to place the velcro pucks for the speakers. This way my speakers won't bump off when I take the helmet on and off.

I also duct taped the wires to the inside of the helmet. I ripped the microphone wire before, so I was somewhat annoyed.

Maybe this is common knowledge, but it made it so much easier to place the speakers. Or maybe its unique to this helmet.
    GS1000G 1981

Not unique.

I have had my intercom systems installed that way for just over 20 years.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

hA i WAS DOING THIS IN 1983
      Its why my typing sucks
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Anyone use bluetooth earphones that are designed like airpods? I'm sure with each helmet comes a different comfort of headphones, but I just put one of them in my ear and when my helmets put on it slides the earphone out a bit so it's not pushing into my ear canal. Can still hear the sounds of the road great even with VH in my ear!

I'm rocking a shoei rf1200
        Last edited by timebombprod; 12-28-2020, 12:37 AM.
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

I got a pair of ear buds for xmas. I decided to try putting on my helmet with them on. As I pulled the helmet on it shoved them painfully into my earholes and so I pulled the helmet off and it tore them out, also painfully. Then they went flying across the room and I had to search for them.

I guess wrong helmet and/or wrong ear phones. I might get that whole comm setup some day though. It seems like everyone is doing that now and I'll probably be the only one not in on the conversation.
          2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
          82 gs1100L probably the next project
          1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
          1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

I was using BOSE Bluetooth earbuds, but their high profile makes getting helmets on and off less than ideal, so I went back to wired low profile in-ear speakers.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
              I got a pair of ear buds for xmas. I decided to try putting on my helmet with them on. As I pulled the helmet on it shoved them painfully into my earholes and so I pulled the helmet off and it tore them out, also painfully. Then they went flying across the room and I had to search for them.

I guess wrong helmet and/or wrong ear phones. I might get that whole comm setup some day though. It seems like everyone is doing that now and I'll probably be the only one not in on the conversation.
              I guess the headphones aren't for you! Jeez Haha

The comm makes it so somebodies not just awkwardly tagging along with you until you both stop and say hey
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                I got a pair of ear buds for xmas. I decided to try putting on my helmet with them on. As I pulled the helmet on it shoved them painfully into my earholes and so I pulled the helmet off and it tore them out, also painfully.
                Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                I was using BOSE Bluetooth earbuds, but their high profile makes getting helmets on and off less than ideal, so I went back to wired low profile in-ear speakers.
                It may look a bit "dorky", but a helmet liner helps quite a bit. It moves the friction point away from the ear buds, so the helmet does not pull on them.

One downside of a liner is that it will make your helmet a bit tighter for a short while. Then it will fit just fine, but if you leave the liner off, the helmet is a bit loose, and does not tighten up.

Not sure if it offsets the fit issue, but a liner is easier to wash than the inside of your helmet, which keeps hair oil and other crud out of the helmet.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

My older brother rides on his HDs with a thin liner and it makes sense, you can wash them and keep the stink out of your helmet. I have a low-rent Cardo unit and with earplugs and the speakers turned up high it's quite nice for long rides. Though being an old timer I wonder about its effects on my focus and hearing things going on around me. But in the end it saves your hearing I suppose. When I joined the USAF and flew recon, they told me in 4 years I'd lose 25% of my hearing on average, so wear ear plugs. I did and 35 years later am glad I listened.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  It may look a bit "dorky", but a helmet liner helps quite a bit. It moves the friction point away from the ear buds, so the helmet does not pull on them.

One downside of a liner is that it will make your helmet a bit tighter for a short while. Then it will fit just fine, but if you leave the liner off, the helmet is a bit loose, and does not tighten up.

Not sure if it offsets the fit issue, but a liner is easier to wash than the inside of your helmet, which keeps hair oil and other crud out of the helmet.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I have tried earplugs. Yes, they do quiet down the wind and road noise, but still allow you to hear what's going on. At the end of a long day, you are less-fatigued, due to lack of all the auditory assault. I admit that my first experiment was with the wrong earplugs, which soured the overall experience a bit. My ears were sore from the poorly-fitting earplugs.

Interesting to note, though, as quiet as a Goldwing is, there is still road and wind noise. It's pretty much like riding around in a car with the windows down. Putting in ear plugs is like rolling the windows up. It's almost scary how quiet it gets.

I have found that wearing earplugs requires me to turn up the volume on my CB radio, which is also the amp for my AUX input (satellite radio). To overcome the ear plugs, I have to turn the volume up pretty much all the way, which introduces a bit of distortion, making it harder to listen to. It also makes the radio run VERY warm.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Interesting. I just received a BMW balaclava for Christmas and wonder whether it might work in a similar fashion.
                      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

My son was using these yesterday and said they stayed put while pulling the helmet on.

Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A
                        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                          Interesting. I just received a BMW balaclava for Christmas and wonder whether it might work in a similar fashion.
                          Definitely. It's balaclava time here and I've been using one for the past 30 winters. Wouldn't be without one now.
                          The handy thing about a balaclava is that I can just turn it up in a double fold and it's an instant cap, so no need to remove it entirely, as it keeps my head and ears warm.
                          I'm intrigued by the helmet liners but wonder how they do in sweaty summer days. Not that it matters much as 99% of my riding is local nowadays so continually putting on and taking off a liner would be a pita. Just have to put up with occasionally removing the helmet's own liner and washing it. That in itself is a major step forward compared to helmets of yesteryear.
                          ---- Dave
                          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I bought this thin Carhart balaclava at DICK’S Sporting goods last month. It fits snug under my Bilt helmet with built-in Bluetooth speakers. It’s just the ticket for cold weather riding. I’ve not worn earplugs when riding. I don’t really do much highway riding where I’m winding out the engine. And my bike isn’t very loud.

Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                              I'm intrigued by the helmet liners but wonder how they do in sweaty summer days.
                              Surprisingly, they do quite well. Although they are not all that thick (about the same as a quality t-shirt), they absorb enough to keep the crud out of the helmet. Even on a multi-day tour, it's easy enough to "do the laundry" in the motel sink in the evening and have it dry by morning.

It can also do double duty in warm weather. Wet it, THEN put it on.
                              The evaporation will help keep your head cooler.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X