Any asbestos used in the GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any asbestos used in the GS?

I am looking to export my 1982 GS1100GL to Australia where they have strict rules on no asbestos in vehicles. Do you know if any asbestos material used in these bikes? I have changed the brake pads and clutch to modern non asbestos material already

You moving to Austrailia? Or just selling a bike?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

On working on my 1100GK (same engine as 1100GL) and the 850G that I had, I came acrost these.

called a "connector" but is more like some fibre material gasket between the pipes. Is cylindrical, fits in mullfer pipe, and then the exhaust header pipe fits into it.
      the original seemed more like cloth fibre that had turned hard. A little bit of it came out in chunks and shards and pieces like threads, but most of it was like cloth. I wondered if the original were asbestos since I had seen what that looked like in power plant boiler piping insulation from the 1950s and 60s.

New replacement "connectors" I got were more like steel wool metal mesh.

8 14771-49001
      CONNECTOR, MUFFLER

Some body would have to dissasemble stuff to even see them.
      Last edited by Redman; 09-17-2020, 10:47 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

here is more about that, made from a posting of mine a few years ago.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, yes I was planning on removing the exhaust to check on what was inside. I’m moving and taking the bike with me.

Comment

Screw the bureaucrats. I wouldn't pull the exhaust system just because there is a chance that the gaskets have some asbestos in them. What would you replace them with anyway? Not to mention the header bolts love to break off unless extreme care is exercised. There are countless threads here describing the gory details.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The original exhaust gaskets seemed to be made with mica, but I have no idea if they contain asbestos.

Unless there's a way to test for asbestos, it might be worth a few bucks to replace them. Heck, the bike might even run better!
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Dunno, the exhaust wrap I changed on my Guzzi could be mistaken to contain asbestos due to the powdery residue.

It's actually basalt.
                #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Wwould these not have have been imported to Australia in the original production run?
                  I sincerely doubt Suzuki used different pipe gaskets for different markets.

Why would not this be grandfathered in?

Let sleeping dogs lie. If it6s asbestos which I doubt it cant hurt anyone in place.
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Bolwell View Post
                    Thanks for the replies, yes I was planning on removing the exhaust to check on what was inside. I’m moving and taking the bike with me.
                    Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                    Wwould these not have have been imported to Australia in the original production run?
                    I sincerely doubt Suzuki used different pipe gaskets for different markets.

Why would not this be grandfathered in?

Let sleeping dogs lie. If it6s asbestos which I doubt it cant hurt anyone in place.
                    The OP has a valid cause for concern. Australia has got rather silly re asbestos and imports.
                    He's got to declare asbestos content as less than a specified % - and if they prove him wrong it's fines or confiscation - and destruction.

The guys taking race bikes to Oz - even on a carnet guaranteeing they will not stay in OZ - are having trouble so his permanent stay will be looked at quite hard.\

Non asbestos clutch plates are a must - as is the invoice for them.....they'll ask to see it.

Comment

Take the country's entry orders very serious, they will win. Here is a site that I'm sure will have information for you or will be a good place to ask the question. https://expeditionportal.com/forum/

Comment

There are instruments that test for asbestos in household/factory/building/etc. air. These are very common, but I don't know where you could find one. You could call your local health department or a company that deals with asbestos abatement. I suspect that they could check it pretty easily and cheaply.

Who know how Australia checks for asbestos in imports. I suspect they use one of these asbestos testing instruments. After all, it's not important if the imported item has asbestos -- it's whether or not it escapes into the air. That's something you can easily test for.
                        sigpic
                        '77 GS550B
                        '78 GS550C

Comment

Working...
                        X