No announcement yet.

I had a crash...a big one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news on the charges but have to agree with Garth on the legal system here being pussies. Great news on your hip and healing in general. It also shows of how attitude and determination helps with the healing process ....really proud of you buddy.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
      Thought I would provide an update.
      Doesn't BC have an absurdly low limit on damages from an accident? In the US they would be looking for the limit on your insurance, your house, your future income, and your first born. However, in Washington state you are only required to have 25k in coverage.
      sigpic
      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
      1983 GS1100e
      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
      1980 GS1260
      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
        Doesn't BC have an absurdly low limit on damages from an accident? In the US they would be looking for the limit on your insurance, your house, your future income, and your first born. However, in Washington state you are only required to have 25k in coverage.
        The guy who hit me will not be held financially responsible. Our Provincial insurance, ICBC will pay me out for "pain and suffering" and any lost wages. And they have paid for all my health care appointments, including mileage, any care aids for my home etc..fwiw our min liability is $200,000 here...I always carry min of 2 million on all my vehicles.
        I have no clue what kind of money I will get..but my lawyer said "we are preparing your case to go to court, so we will only settle for court like money"...

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
        Good news on the charges but have to agree with Garth on the legal system here being pussies. Great news on your hip and healing in general. It also shows of how attitude and determination helps with the healing process ....really proud of you buddy.
        Thanks Sandy.

Originally posted by bccap View Post
        " Undue Care and Attention " ? ..... Man ! Our legal system can be pussies ..... Last I heard that was six points and a fine ..... As far as I'm concerned, blowing a stop sign and nobody hurt is " Undue Care And Attention " ..... Somebody gets hurt and it should be " Dangerous Driving " .....
        I hear ya Garth...the crown council woman said "I know it doesn't seam fair but that's the system"...I really don't have a problem with it...we all make mistakes...I told her I'm just bitter because he lied...if he had taken ownership from day one and had not made me prove that he ran the sign I know mentally I would have felt better..and maybe wouldn't be so eager to read my impact statement. btw they are seeking a $750 fine...he will be given 6 points on his license. That charge will make his insurance go up big time too.

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
        Hey Trevor, thanks for the update. That fact that you have come this far in recovery / rehab is inspirational and a testament to your strong will.
        Thanks Glenn...

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Great news on him finally taking some responsibility and hopefully things work out for you
        Yes, finally. But I'm sure it's only because I have video...lol...cheers

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
        Good news

Without due care surely
        Lol..
        No signature

Comment

Glad you're doing well, Trevor. The driver's consequences seem like a slap on the wrist for nearly killing a person, intentional or not.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            Glad you're doing well, Trevor. The driver's consequences seem like a slap on the wrist for nearly killing a person, intentional or not.
            Thanks Rich...yes, I agree..slap on the wrist for sure. I am looking forward to telling him what he did to my life though...so there's that...lol
            No signature

Comment

Dude I'm glad you're doing well. I often think of the stories on the gsr when I'm riding. Keeps me alert.
              2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
              82 gs1100L probably the next project
              1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
              1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

If it were this country, and you had a good lawyer, I think you'd be looking at least at a few million (US) dollars. Pain and suffering, loss of the uses of a farther, husband, income lost, etc.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                  If it were this country, and you had a good lawyer, I think you'd be looking at least at a few million (US) dollars. Pain and suffering, loss of the uses of a farther, husband, income lost, etc.
                  lol...I wish...
                  No signature

Comment

In Youngstown, if you paid tribute to a good fellow he'd get the justice he deserves...
                    My Motorcycles:
                    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)
                    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

And the lawyers fight so hard for you because they get 1/3 right off the top. $10,000,000 award, 6.6 mil to injured party, 3.3 mil to lawyers. And it rarely goes to trial. Insurance company negotiates more than you'd wish for just to avoid going to the trouble, time and risk of a trial.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

You guys are kind of overkill one way and we are definitely overkill the other way . I found out for myself how we work in a medical situation .... The Supreme Court has capped " pain and suffering " at $350,000 and that is for the absolute worst of cases... Like a doctor showing up drunk and lopping off both your arms and legs while he's doing a tonsillectomy ...... And punitive damages are almost impossible to get here due to the high standard requiring proof of intent ..... No intent, no punitive damages ..... Negligence doesn't cut it ..... Trevor will get some money but he won't be retiring on it .....
                        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                        1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                          You guys are kind of overkill one way and we are definitely overkill the other way . I found out for myself how we work in a medical situation .... The Supreme Court has capped " pain and suffering " at $350,000 and that is for the absolute worst of cases... Like a doctor showing up drunk and lopping off both your arms and legs while he's doing a tonsillectomy ...... And punitive damages are almost impossible to get here due to the high standard requiring proof of intent ..... No intent, no punitive damages ..... Negligence doesn't cut it ..... Trevor will get some money but he won't be retiring on it .....
                          I won't retire on it for sure.. It should make a difference to my family though, and that's all I care about. My lawyer is a family friend and he's a Pitbull for sure. He is only taking 17% of what I get. Happy about that.
                          No signature

Comment

We wish...

Our daughter was in a car accident, passenger, not her fault, NY state, a few years ago.

Broken pelvis, among other injuries. Multiple screws and such. No chance of birthing a child. Months of therapy and assistance. Two years before back at a real job.

Her check, with good lawyers? $66,XXX.

To be fair, because it was in NY, all her medical costs were covered, and all future medical bills, related to the accident, are covered for life.
                            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

The only way to get "...at least a few million" is if the person who caused the injury was rich, or if they had a really good insurance policy. Most people take the state required minimum policy, which ain't $hit. And you can't sue someone and take their home away, there are laws against that.

When the left turner got me in 2006 I got all of $5000 buck. Just enough to cover my out of pocket costs. Fast forward to today and my RH knee is a mess and I can't even walk for fitness anymore. It's frustrating.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                                The only way to get "...at least a few million" is if the person who caused the injury was rich, or if they had a really good insurance policy. Most people take the state required minimum policy, which ain't $hit. And you can't sue someone and take their home away, there are laws against that.

When the left turner got me in 2006 I got all of $5000 buck. Just enough to cover my out of pocket costs. Fast forward to today and my RH knee is a mess and I can't even walk for fitness anymore. It's frustrating.
                                That seems very accurate. I have known of a few people on both sides of the fault blame who sued or were sued. If the at fault had little or had real junk insurance there is essentially nothing. Although judgements never expire, I have seen people who keep everything they own in someone else's name. I don't think that social security or disability can be taken, but not sure about that. In many areas of Pa., you would fortunate to be hit by someone who has any sort of car insurance. Even though a very low level of liability insurance is required. I've read of estimates of 50% uninsured driver levels in Phila. If you have the Uninsured/Underinsured motorist coverage you have to sue your insurance carrier to get it at your expense.

I have a friend who suffered terrible injuries from an auto accident 7 or 8 years ago. Although it was sort of a "he said-she said" deal, he had the upper edge. He nearly starved due to not being able to work any longer as a self employed person. He eventually got a settlement after 6 years of less than $20k and can scarcely walk today. The worst case scenario where both he and other party had the same insurance carrier. "Deny until they die".
                                1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Working...
                                X