I had a crash...a big one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
    ...my hip replacements 24 years ago. Yup that's right had both done in June of 93...
    I never did understand that new math.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      I never did understand that new math.
      Maybe there were leap years involved?
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
        Maybe there were leap years involved?
        With new hips, I'd hope so.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I do hope everything went well, or better...
          GS1000G '81

Comment

Update...I was to have my hip replacement surgery today. But I decided along with my surgeon to wait. I have been getting around pretty good now...walked 2kms yesterday and 3 the day before with no cane. I got a little sore...my doctor said the fact that I do not take daily pain medication is an indicator that waiting is ok....I am really busy at work right now...covid seams to make people use more...hmm...and I am riding again..did a 800kms round trip on the weekend with no pain meds.
            And the big thing is my mental state...I'm still going to 30 plus physio etc appointments a month but I just don't think I can handle the setback mentally that having the surgery would result. I want to enjoy the summer.
            Of course I still need the surgery..it won't ever heal..the fracture is screwed...the doctor says it's the right thing to do...and someone else will take the spot that probably is in more pain than me.....so we are shooting for September....I'm happy with that....I'm sure my lawyer won't be happy as this delays my case.
            Oh and I got a letter last week from the Crown that they are charging the guy who hit me with "Drive a motor vehicle without due care and attention". And I have been asked to prepare a victim impact statement to read in court.
            No signature

Comment

All things considered it sounds like you're doing pretty good. I'm sure the longer you wait for surgery and the fitter you get the better and easier your recovery will be. Glad you're able to get out for some long rides.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                Update...I was to have my hip replacement surgery today. But I decided along with my surgeon to wait. I have been getting around pretty good now...walked 2kms yesterday and 3 the day before with no cane. I got a little sore...my doctor said the fact that I do not take daily pain medication is an indicator that waiting is ok....I am really busy at work right now...covid seams to make people use more...hmm...and I am riding again..did a 800kms round trip on the weekend with no pain meds.
                And the big thing is my mental state...I'm still going to 30 plus physio etc appointments a month but I just don't think I can handle the setback mentally that having the surgery would result. I want to enjoy the summer.
                Of course I still need the surgery..it won't ever heal..the fracture is screwed...the doctor says it's the right thing to do...and someone else will take the spot that probably is in more pain than me.....so we are shooting for September....I'm happy with that....I'm sure my lawyer won't be happy as this delays my case.
                Oh and I got a letter last week from the Crown that they are charging the guy who hit me with "Drive a motor vehicle without due care and attention". And I have been asked to prepare a victim impact statement to read in court.
                Really ? I saw that video of what happened ...... What the fuddle duddle does the Crown define as " dangerous driving " ...... Running a stop sign and schmucking somebody meets my definition .....
                Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                1983 GS 750

Comment

Their use of the term "victim impact statement" is a bit distasteful, but quite accurate I'd say.

2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                  2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

I'm largely ignorant of the legalese of the laws of the North, but that statement doesn't sound like the crime, if found guilty, would carry any amount of prison detention as a sentence. Hopefully, there's compensation in it for you.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                      I'm largely ignorant of the legalese of the laws of the North, but that statement doesn't sound like the crime, if found guilty, would carry any amount of prison detention as a sentence. Hopefully, there's compensation in it for you.
                      Nope..just a fine of $400 and 6 demerit points....better than failing to yield I guess...and I at least get to confront him in court. He's been lying saying that we both stopped and both went at the same time...lol

Originally posted by Hayabuser View Post
                      Their use of the term "victim impact statement" is a bit distasteful, but quite accurate I'd say.

Lol

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                      Really ? I saw that video of what happened ...... What the fuddle duddle does the Crown define as " dangerous driving " ...... Running a stop sign and schmucking somebody meets my definition .....
                      I know...I hear ya...

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                      All things considered it sounds like you're doing pretty good. I'm sure the longer you wait for surgery and the fitter you get the better and easier your recovery will be. Glad you're able to get out for some long rides.
                      I'm getting in good shape for sure...I actually weigh a few pounds lighter than when the accident happened...and I was in the best shape of my life then. And you are right..the better shape I'm in the quicker the recovery. Btw we are headed your way June 10-11-12-13....if you are interested in joining us.
                      No signature

Comment

I looked up "Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention"and the driver can get a driving prohibition too. We'll hope for that and the maximum fine of $2000.
                        But with the new ICBC* approach, this might be old info?
                        Apparently, even where death is involved, it is very difficult to raise a motor vehicle incident to "Criminal Negligence" .

It's very hard to get revenge in court.

* ICBC is British Columbia's Motor vehicle insurance corporation representing both parties and does whatever it can to stymie court cases now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                          I looked up "Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention"and the driver can get a driving prohibition too. We'll hope for that and the maximum fine of $2000.
                          Apparently, even where death is involved, it is very difficult to raise a motor vehicle incident to "Criminal Negligence" .

* ICBC is British Columbia's Motor vehicle insurance corporation representing both parties and does whatever it can to stymie court cases now.

My lawyer has prepared my case for court. And icbc will have to pay dearly to avoid going to court with us. The "new icbc approach" has nothing to do with cases of severe injuries like mine.
                          I hope he does lose his license....funny, if he had just admitted that he ran the stop sign I would not be the "dog on a bone" in seeing him punished.
                          No signature

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post

The usage of law often evolves rather than change. When I was a kid " Without due care and attention " was what you got if you pi$$ed the cops off ..... The key thing is that it isn't a " criminal offense " .... Six points and a fine ..... I don't think " Criminal Negligence " is appropriate in Trev's case but there is a law that is ..... " Dangerous Driving " is a criminal offense and there is a latitude of penalties that can be imposed ..... This is what I thought would have been the proper charge for the Crown to make......
                            Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                            1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                              The usage of law often evolves rather than change. When I was a kid " Without due care and attention " was what you got if you pi$$ed the cops off ..... The key thing is that it isn't a " criminal offense " .... Six points and a fine ..... I don't think " Criminal Negligence " is appropriate in Trev's case but there is a law that is ..... " Dangerous Driving " is a criminal offense and there is a latitude of penalties that can be imposed ..... This is what I thought would have been the proper charge for the Crown to make......
                              I think for a dangerous driving ticket there would need to be proof of intent to injure.
                              No signature

Comment

I think for a dangerous driving ticket there would need to be proof of intent to injure.
                                You could be right .. I'm not sure .... I downloaded this from a legal site ... " For a dangerous driving conviction, the Crown must prove that the driver intended to drive the vehicle in a manner, when viewed objectively, that amounts to a departure from the standard of care expected from a prudent driver. Courts have held that for dangerous driving, there must be a “marked departure” from normal driving. ".... I guess it comes down to how one interprets a " marked departure from normal driving " .... In my eyes normal drivers stop at stop signs but I don't know whether that reaches the legal interpretation ........
                                1983 GS 750

Comment

Working...
                                X