Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: I had a crash...a big one!

Quote Originally Posted by trevor View Post
    Lol....the ironic part is my surgeon said to me yesterday "you have been doing physio and getting stronger, so you will have a quick recovery after hip replacement"...2 months ago he told be "don't be too hard on yourself in physio, I'm not worried about you getting muscle back after the bone heals"....lol...make up your mind.
    My physio is definitely "smells like gym"....and I'm happy she makes me work hard. But I don't think I'll be back to dead lifting 385lbs anytime soon. Lol
    I don't see those two positions from the surgeon as incompatible. The original statement was made before the surgeon knew your commitment level. There is a case to be made that physio, poorly done, can actually be detrimental to positive healing.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Sometimes these doctors remind me of dentists admiring their own work. They give you a mirror and say, "Doesn't that look great? You're the best looking guy in the room!"

When I was cleared to put weight on my legs (after 3 months), a physio would come to my room and have me stand while she watched the clock and counted to 30 seconds. "Okay, sit and rest." We'd do it maybe once more, then it was, "See you tomorrow." For this she wents (sic) to school?

When I was mobile enough to make my way down to them, I'd be given a dumbbell and told to do curls. From what I observed, they spent 20 minutes with a patient and 40 minutes booking their hours on a computer.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by bccap View Post
    I hate physios ! When I was in the hospital they would come every day to try to get me to go for a walk ..... I said .... " How but we start on me getting in and out of bed first ? Never mind going for a walk " .......
    For me it was more like "OMFG! What are you doing out of bed?" They were routinely appalled at the advanced walker maneuvers I could manage... I wanted out of there bad.

When I finally got good physical therapy after busted femur #3 (yes the place did smell like a gym, as a matter of fact, and much sweat was spilled), I warned her "I want to get back to 100% ASAP. I will do exactly what you tell me, and I won't care how much it hurts. I will split myself open if it means I can walk normally again."

So we had a very productive discussion on how to recognize good pain and bad pain, and agreed on how we would approach and communicate my limits. IIRC, we did about three months in total, starting at three times a week, then twice a week, then once a week. At the end, my broken left leg was actually a little over-trained and stronger than my right leg, with full flexibility. And my twice-broken right wrist was back to 100% flexibility and strength.

As to why surgeons (and insurance companies) don't think PT is needed, I don't know. Been there, done that, tried it both ways, and the evidence is crystal clear.

The surgeon after broken femur #1 told me I was active and motivated, and wouldn't need PT. Yes, I was back on my feet pretty quickly, but I was pretty badly damaged and far less functional. I really, really wish I had gotten PT. I've always wondered whether the nonunion would have been prevented with more activity, or at least caught sooner. That one came with a lot of muscle damage (I hit a curb with my thigh...) and looking back it seems insane he wouldn't at least let me try PT. Surgeons can be narrow-minded to an extreme

I got off the opiate pain pills ASAP after surgery, but I took a LOT of ibuprofen in the following months. There's quite a lot of evidence that NSAIDs can cause healing problems, since healing depends on the body's response to inflammation. No one ever mentioned this; they just told me I could take up to 600mg or 800mg every four to six hours if my leg hurt.

As to the insurance companies... let's just say I could have had a VERY nice shiny new motorcycle for what I was forced to shell out for PT. Still worth it, of course.
    Last edited by bwringer; 02-12-2021 at 05:05 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2002 DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue.
    2005 KLR685 - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Candy Red Power Corrupts...

Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

Quote Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
    For me it was more like "OMFG! What are you doing out of bed?" They were routinely appalled at the advanced walker maneuvers I could manage... I wanted out of there bad.

When I finally got good physical therapy after busted femur #3 (yes the place did smell like a gym, as a matter of fact, and much sweat was spilled), I warned her "I want to get back to 100% ASAP. I will do exactly what you tell me, and I won't care how much it hurts. I will split myself open if it means I can walk normally again."

So we had a very productive discussion on how to recognize good pain and bad pain, and agreed on how we would approach and communicate my limits. IIRC, we did about three months in total, starting at three times a week, then twice a week, then once a week. At the end, my broken left leg was actually a little over-trained and stronger than my right leg, with full flexibility. And my twice-broken right wrist was back to 100% flexibility and strength.

As to why surgeons (and insurance companies) don't think PT is needed, I don't know. Been there, done that, tried it both ways, and the evidence is crystal clear.

The surgeon after broken femur #1 told me I was active and motivated, and wouldn't need PT. Yes, I was back on my feet pretty quickly, but I was pretty badly damaged and far less functional. I really, really wish I had gotten PT. I've always wondered whether the nonunion would have been prevented with more activity, or at least caught sooner. That one came with a lot of muscle damage (I hit a curb with my thigh...) and looking back it seems insane he wouldn't at least let me try PT. Surgeons can be narrow-minded to an extreme

I got off the opiate pain pills ASAP after surgery, but I took a LOT of ibuprofen in the following months. There's quite a lot of evidence that NSAIDs can cause healing problems, since healing depends on the body's response to inflammation. No one ever mentioned this; they just told me I could take up to 600mg or 800mg every four to six hours if my leg hurt.

As to the insurance companies... let's just say I could have had a VERY nice shiny new motorcycle for what I was forced to shell out for PT. Still worth it, of course.
    With me it was after two months in ICU and a loss of 110 lb's ..... I couldn't even roll over in bed let alone get out of it...... Not to mention I was stark raving loonie tunes from surgical trauma .... That time in ICU was with my arms strapped to the bed as I did try to bust out of there a few times....{ when you have 24 hours a day to work on the tie down straps you get pretty good at it } .... Busting out being sliding off of the bed tied to two of those poles filled with drips and pumps then taking one step before doing a face plant and getting a trip down for x-rays and a CT scan to see what my dumb little stunt had pucked up..... I hadn't even been eating solid food for more than two days before they showed up with the bright idea of going for a walk .......
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by bccap View Post
    With me it was after two months in ICU and a loss of 110 lb's ..... I couldn't even roll over in bed let alone get out of it...... Not to mention I was stark raving loonie tunes from surgical trauma .... That time in ICU was with my arms strapped to the bed as I did try to bust out of there a few times....{ when you have 24 hours a day to work on the tie down straps you get pretty good at it } .... Busting out being sliding off of the bed tied to two of those poles filled with drips and pumps then taking one step before doing a face plant and getting a trip down for x-rays and a CT scan to see what my dumb little stunt had pucked up..... I hadn't even been eating solid food for more than two days before they showed up with the bright idea of going for a walk .......
    Yikes, you had it much worse. I hope you're doing well these days.

We sure ain't playin' tiddly-winks with these two-wheelers.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2002 DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue.
    2005 KLR685 - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Candy Red Power Corrupts...

Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

trevor is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Well got one more thing taken care of today...went in for surgery on my finger. I have not been able to close it into a fist, therefore it sticks out...and is sore and vulnerable. The scar tissue had to be removed and he did something to the ligaments. lol
    Still waiting for a date for the hip.
    No signature

Well got one more thing taken care of today...went in for surgery on my finger. I have not been able to close it into a fist, therefore it sticks out...and is sore and vulnerable. The scar tissue had to be removed and he did something to the ligaments. lol
    You are in Kanada. It may never happen. Like your Covid vaccination.
    Signed, fully vaccinated American

09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
    1983 GS1100e
    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
    1980 GS1260
    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Bragging about receiving a vaccine that is said may not prevent you from catching the virus, may not prevent you from carrying the virus, and may not prevent you from passing on the virus? Some brag.

1994 Suzuki RF600R
    2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
    2020 Suzuki Katana

Dave

Baatfam is online now Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Hayabuser View Post
    Bragging about receiving a vaccine that is said may not prevent you from catching the virus, may not prevent you from carrying the virus, and may not prevent you from passing on the virus? Some brag.
    Don't forget the keeping you out of the hospital and preventing you from dying....I'll drink to that.

Hoping to get mine soon. 1c is open next week in TN.
    Bob T.

"That which you manifest is before you." -- Enzo
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
    "...for our existence to hold any value, it must end. To live meaningful lives, we must die and not return." -- Number Six

'83 GS1100E ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '99 TRIUMPH TROPHY 900 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

jsandidge is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Wow, I hope you get the treatment you need soon.

1982 GS850GLZ
    1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project