Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: I had a crash...a big one!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
    If it were this country, and you had a good lawyer, I think you'd be looking at least at a few million (US) dollars. Pain and suffering, loss of the uses of a farther, husband, income lost, etc.
    You guys are kind of overkill one way and we are definitely overkill the other way . I found out for myself how we work in a medical situation .... The Supreme Court has capped " pain and suffering " at $350,000 and that is for the absolute worst of cases... Like a doctor showing up drunk and lopping off both your arms and legs while he's doing a tonsillectomy ...... And punitive damages are almost impossible to get here due to the high standard requiring proof of intent ..... No intent, no punitive damages ..... Negligence doesn't cut it ..... Trevor will get some money but he won't be retiring on it .....
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

trevor is online now Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by bccap View Post
    You guys are kind of overkill one way and we are definitely overkill the other way . I found out for myself how we work in a medical situation .... The Supreme Court has capped " pain and suffering " at $350,000 and that is for the absolute worst of cases... Like a doctor showing up drunk and lopping off both your arms and legs while he's doing a tonsillectomy ...... And punitive damages are almost impossible to get here due to the high standard requiring proof of intent ..... No intent, no punitive damages ..... Negligence doesn't cut it ..... Trevor will get some money but he won't be retiring on it .....
    I won't retire on it for sure.. It should make a difference to my family though, and that's all I care about. My lawyer is a family friend and he's a Pitbull for sure. He is only taking 17% of what I get. Happy about that.
    No signature

Baatfam is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

If it were this country, and you had a good lawyer, I think you'd be looking at least at a few million (US) dollars. Pain and suffering, loss of the uses of a farther, husband, income lost, etc.
    We wish...

Our daughter was in a car accident, passenger, not her fault, NY state, a few years ago.

Broken pelvis, among other injuries. Multiple screws and such. No chance of birthing a child. Months of therapy and assistance. Two years before back at a real job.

Her check, with good lawyers? $66,XXX.

To be fair, because it was in NY, all her medical costs were covered, and all future medical bills, related to the accident, are covered for life.
    Bob T.

"That which you manifest is before you." -- Enzo
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
    "...for our existence to hold any value, it must end. To live meaningful lives, we must die and not return." -- Number Six

'83 GS1100E ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '99 TRIUMPH TROPHY 900 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

The only way to get "...at least a few million" is if the person who caused the injury was rich, or if they had a really good insurance policy. Most people take the state required minimum policy, which ain't $hit. And you can't sue someone and take their home away, there are laws against that.

When the left turner got me in 2006 I got all of $5000 buck. Just enough to cover my out of pocket costs. Fast forward to today and my RH knee is a mess and I can't even walk for fitness anymore. It's frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
    The only way to get "...at least a few million" is if the person who caused the injury was rich, or if they had a really good insurance policy. Most people take the state required minimum policy, which ain't $hit. And you can't sue someone and take their home away, there are laws against that.

When the left turner got me in 2006 I got all of $5000 buck. Just enough to cover my out of pocket costs. Fast forward to today and my RH knee is a mess and I can't even walk for fitness anymore. It's frustrating.
    That seems very accurate. I have known of a few people on both sides of the fault blame who sued or were sued. If the at fault had little or had real junk insurance there is essentially nothing. Although judgements never expire, I have seen people who keep everything they own in someone else's name. I don't think that social security or disability can be taken, but not sure about that. In many areas of Pa., you would fortunate to be hit by someone who has any sort of car insurance. Even though a very low level of liability insurance is required. I've read of estimates of 50% uninsured driver levels in Phila. If you have the Uninsured/Underinsured motorist coverage you have to sue your insurance carrier to get it at your expense.

I have a friend who suffered terrible injuries from an auto accident 7 or 8 years ago. Although it was sort of a "he said-she said" deal, he had the upper edge. He nearly starved due to not being able to work any longer as a self employed person. He eventually got a settlement after 6 years of less than $20k and can scarcely walk today. The worst case scenario where both he and other party had the same insurance carrier. "Deny until they die".
    1981 Suzuki GS650G

trevor is online now Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Going under the knife again tomorrow...last month I had another operation on my finger to repair a hook...tomorrow we are taking the pins out of my hip. My surgeon feels the fracture has healed enough to take them out....and they are bugging the crap out of me...they backed out about 1cm...and the tendons rub over top giving me popping ..it's gross!
    Day surgery...I'll be back to crutches for a while again...hopefully not to long as I am in pretty good shape again...I have been working my azz off!
    No signature

All the best tomorrow buddy. Your hip kinda sounds like my left shoulder right now except mine doesn't have any pins to remove. Oh well.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

You've soldiered this truama very well Trevor, good luck on the continued recovery.
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

RustyTank is offline Forum Mentor Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by trevor View Post
    Going under the knife again tomorrow...last month I had another operation on my finger to repair a hook...tomorrow we are taking the pins out of my hip. My surgeon feels the fracture has healed enough to take them out....and they are bugging the crap out of me...they backed out about 1cm...and the tendons rub over top giving me popping ..it's gross!
    Day surgery...I'll be back to crutches for a while again...hopefully not to long as I am in pretty good shape again...I have been working my azz off!
    I hope them taking the pins out helps out Trevor. Keep us updated sir.
    Last edited by RustyTank; 12-09-2021 at 10:20 AM.
    Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Wishing steady hands for your surgeon, and a great outcome for you. Speedy recovery, Trevor. You have lots of bikes that need to be ridden.