Tach & camchain tensioner o rings and gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach & camchain tensioner o rings and gaskets

<em><strong>I tried to buy parts at at Ron Ayers and Parts Shark. The gaskets and O rings for cam chain tensioner and Tach cableo rings. Punched Suzuki parts no. in and got nothing as stated from B Wringer web site. I wanted to stop leaks and needed parts to complete the procedures. What do I do now??<br>
    Thanks <br>
    joepenoso<br>PS it,s for 1979 gs 850</strong></em><br>

2X 1979 GS Suzuki G

I've had no issues ordering all of those parts from either partsoutlaw.com or babbittsonline.com. I prefer partsoutlaw, they'be gotten more right with my orders than babbitts and always have $4.99 shipping.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Shop online for OEM Cam Chain parts that fit your 1979 Suzuki GS850G, search all our OEM Parts or call at 877-999-5686

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

That's good for you but it doesn,t work for me. I punch in Suzuki part no. for "O" rings and shows nothing there.
        Thanks
        joepenoso

2X 1979 GS Suzuki G

Comment

Shop online for OEM Cylinder Head parts that fit your 1979 Suzuki GS850G, search all our OEM Parts or call at 877-999-5686

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

IE. Suzuki part no. s taken from B Wringer cam chain site
            #26451-4500 tach o ring
            09289-05002 oil seal
            09280-21013 large o ring
            09280- 06005 oil seal
            12837-45000 h17 gasket
            Thanks
            joepenoso

2X 1979 GS Suzuki G

Comment

http://www.bwringer.com/gs/

2X 1979 GS Suzuki G

Comment

I use the website page (link provided), click on "add to cart", and it is in my cart. I did the tach drive seal, anyway.

Comment

SEAL BANO
                  Suzuki
                  item: 26451-45000

$3.04

$3.04

Comment

Also on Brian's tutorial

Your part number may be different -- PLEASE look it up if you're working on a different model!

You were bothe working on 850, but was a few design changed between the 79 model yare and 80 model year.

Comment

I couldn't get
                      #09280-06005 large O ring cam tensioner

#09280-21013
                      o ring for lock screws
                      #12837-45000h17 gasket
                      Thanks
                      joepenoso

2X 1979 GS Suzuki G

Comment

Like Dave said. Start w/ Suzuki , then your year, then your bike model. Click on whichever fiche you’re likely to find your part. Find the part. Add it to you your card.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Joe,

As a test, I copyied the part number (large oring) from what you listed from bwringer site,
                          09280-21013 large o ring
                          and pasted it into a google search. Shows up in many many parts supplier. One supplier had a "fittment" link which had it for many 850s , G & GL but all 82, 83 and on.
                          So that nuimber, that one anyway, is a good number... but maybe not for your bike.Dont know why didnt seemto be valid number when you hand enterd the number.

How about rather than hand entering in numbers, .... maybe they dont use the dash or maybe do or dont use the leading zero, or something like that....dont know.

how about use the suppliers part look up, select the year, and the model, find the right page (cam chain, head), then will have better chance of haveing right part for your year & model. .... and click on "add to cart" then no chance of fumbling the part number.
                          I do that because I so easy fumble the numbers, reverse digits or leave one out.
                          Last edited by Redman; 09-19-2020, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your help. It sorted itself out
                            joepenoso

2X 1979 GS Suzuki G

Comment

All the part numbers in my tutorial should be the same for all GS850 models, including the OP's 1979.

As clearly (but not clearly enough?) explained at the top of the page, the o-ring and seal part numbers are known to work on every GS with this ramped pushrod style mechanism. The GS850 version of the cam chain tensioner is angled and has three bolts. Other models have a sort of "straight" body and two bolts, but function the same and are rebuilt the same.

The base gaskets and the hard parts can vary.

Another common point of confusion is that the part numbers for both o-rings and the seal do not appear on many GS fiches. That's kinda the whole reason this page exists; the parts info is not available for many models, and the manuals do not contain any instructions for re-sealing these tensioners.

All the part numbers still work for me on my favorite Suzuki OEM parts site.
                              Shop our large selection of Suzuki Motorcycle OEM parts, original equipment manufacturer parts and more online or call at 800-595-4063

One thing I've noticed here and in other such sites is that you often need to be in the Suzuki OEM parts section first. If you just punch them in from the home page you may not get any results.

I'm happy to update these instructions or part numbers if needed (and I believe I've had to once or twice in the past), but it looks like these part numbers are still current.

I did notice this page contained a link to BikeBandit, which I removed thanks to recent credible reports of serious issues. I've never liked BB's silly tactic of obfuscating part numbers anyway, and their pricing is high. I also added a mention of looking for a more local source; lots of local shops now offer online OEM Suzuki parts sales, which is a great way to save a few bucks on shipping, support your local dealer, and get your goodies faster. Plus, you get an excuse to go for a ride and slobber on some new bikes and gear.

If anyone has any suggestions or spots any errors, please feel free to contact me. I'm not a big ol' meanie or hard to find, ya know...
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                              X