GS450 Starter Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 Starter Replacement

I was experiencing intermittent weak starting, and after checking the usual suspects, pulled the starter to find that 2 of the 4 magnets had come loose from the housing, and one was shattered into several pieces. I'm surprised it continued to spin at all...

Anyway, I'm in the market for a replacement starter and wondered if anyone has any advice or good sources. There are new replacements on Ebay for $50, which seems too good to be true:

Has anyone installed one of these and had any luck with it? Should I be hunting for an original Nippondenso to rebuild? Are there other trusted sources for starters?

nOd5Jd7.jpg
    1981 GS450e

I had good success gluing the magnets back in place using JB Weld, although if one is shattered it will definitely compromise its performance even when glued in place. One of mine was in two pieces, the other intact. It definitely doesn't crank quite the same as it used to but still starts reliably every time.

I've been told GS500 starters are a direct replacement but I've not seen a side by side comparison to validate if that is indeed true or not.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I hadn't considered JB Weld-ing them back into place. I suppose i have nothing to lose from trying. Thanks for the advice!
      1981 GS450e

Comment

If the repair is not a good option,
        look at stocker starters. They have a great web site.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

You pay the price plus the core. The price includes shipping to you and the core return. When you do return the core (your original), then you get a credit for the core.

rter - Suzuki Motorcycle
          Type: Remanufactured
          Replaces: Denso
          Stockers #: SS-4
          Retail Price: $209.95
          Your Price: $139.95
          Core Deposit: $50.00
          Starter - Remanufactured
          Fits: Suzuki Motorcycle
          1980-1983 GS300/450
          1980-1983 GS650

12 Volt, CCW, 9 Teeth

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

You're right, Stocker does look like a great option. Unfortunately, they are out of stock on that starter. I'll give them a call and see if they plan to have any available any time soon. Otherwise it looks like I can get the rebuild kit from them for $30. Hopefully that plus gluing the magnets back in place will get me back on the road.

One thing I learned when the starter began intermittently failing is that the GS450 is an easy bike to bump start!
            1981 GS450e

Comment

I have found that many (most?) of the GS starters are pretty close to the same. The only difference I have seen is one that required a slight curve between the two mounting bolts. Does yours have that? If not, I might have a starter for you.

Too bad I am seeing this post now. If you had posted last week, my son could have delivered it to you, he was in Owatonna a couple days ago.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi Steve,

I assume we are talking about the bolts that mount the starter into the case? I've attached some photos of that area, as I'm not entirely sure what you mean about a slight curve.

If you've got a usable starter you are willing to sell, I'm certainly interested!

mounting2.jpg
                1981 GS450e

Comment

Apparently I can only attach one photo per post...

Another angle:

mounting1.jpg
                  1981 GS450e

Comment

Just to close out the thread:

I followed pete's advice and jb-welded my two loose magnets back into place. One was pretty much intact and the other was split into two pretty beat up pieces. I put it back together and threw it in the bike, and it actually seems to be cranking pretty well. So, I'm going to order a rebuild kit from Stocker, refresh this thing, and hope those magnets stay put. Thanks everyone.
                    Last edited by Dostoy320; 10-01-2020, 05:41 PM.
                    1981 GS450e

Comment

I like the way you think. Congrats & Good luck
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Glad it helped! Not sure who to give credit to for the JB Weld trick, it wasn't original by me and I'm pretty sure the source was on here somewhere. I did that years ago and the starter still cranks as good as it did then, so while I haven't gone back in to check recently they were still staying put last time I had to swap the brushes out.
                        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                        X